Alan Pardew - Poltroon sacked by a forrin team

Kid Dynamite

What does Pardew Deserve?  

90 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

As I have said many times, the problem for todays premiership owner is that they know there is little point throwing big bucks at the team because it still wont get them anywhere near the Champions League / Big Rewards.

Even getting into the Uefa cup is not worth the investment to get there.

I dont like or agree with that attitude but I cant really see given the current set up how it will change. As AP points out, how are you really going to compete with clubs backed by sovereign states!

Its just becoming less of an attractive gamble to throw money at it.

Then why bother supporting the Club if that's the attitude you're happy to take?

'Why bother investing, 'cause it ain't gonna get us anywhere!' ????

If that's the attitude of a NUFC supporter, then why bother having anything to do with the club?

The most defeatist attitude I've just about ever read.

Those who were willing to see over the last few years if the Club would grow incrementally, with no need for 20 million pound signings but carefully adding to a squad that was keeping the good players and getting rid of the deadwood, have all been shafted.

The average NUFC supporter could understand the need for SOME financial control ... IF we could see that the club was going forward and growing. That hasn't happened.

Indeed, naught has happened.

We've been fucked over loyally.

You've misread my post accidentally or on purpose.

I said that it's not MY attitude but how I believe most premiership OWNERS view it.

My apologies, CT.

I think we're all a bit on edge around here at the moment.

It's well and good saying all that but the problem is we heard that the Carroll money would be reinvested. Selling Carroll was bad enough, but a lot of fans were OK with it in the end as long as the money was put back into getting new players. I can live without big money transfers but as things stand a pathetically low amount of that money will be spent. An inexcusably low amount. Something "Mike and Derek" don't seem aware of is that to improve the team - and in due course, the income - investing in new players is essential. It gets ticket sold and merch bought, it attracts players to the club and it pleases existing squad members.

Once again it begs the question of what we would have done this summer had we not sold Carroll. Nothing, you'd assume. "We haven’t got investment above our income" is a joke too, since as Happy Face posted our net inflow is something like £40m over the years.

As I have said many times, the problem for todays premiership owner is that they know there is little point throwing big bucks at the team because it still wont get them anywhere near the Champions League / Big Rewards.

I dont like or agree with that attitude but I cant really see given the current set up how it will change. As AP points out, how are you really going to compete with clubs backed by sovereign states!

Took Spurs 6 years to do it sensibly and even then a lot of money was spent...But they invested the Berbatov money and so on..

Edited by Park Life

Then why bother supporting the Club if that's the attitude you're happy to take?

'Why bother investing, 'cause it ain't gonna get us anywhere!' ????

If that's the attitude of a NUFC supporter, then why bother having anything to do with the club?

The most defeatist attitude I've just about ever read.

Those who were willing to see over the last few years if the Club would grow incrementally, with no need for 20 million pound signings but carefully adding to a squad that was keeping the good players and getting rid of the deadwood, have all been shafted.

The average NUFC supporter could understand the need for SOME financial control ... IF we could see that the club was going forward and growing. That hasn't happened.

Indeed, naught has happened.

We've been fucked over loyally.

You've misread my post accidentally or on purpose.

I said that it's not MY attitude but how I believe most premiership OWNERS view it.

My apologies, CT.

I think we're all a bit on edge around here at the moment.

Nee worries, it will all ease a bit when we get back to playing football.....hopefully :lol:

It's well and good saying all that but the problem is we heard that the Carroll money would be reinvested. Selling Carroll was bad enough, but a lot of fans were OK with it in the end as long as the money was put back into getting new players. I can live without big money transfers but as things stand a pathetically low amount of that money will be spent. An inexcusably low amount. Something "Mike and Derek" don't seem aware of is that to improve the team - and in due course, the income - investing in new players is essential. It gets ticket sold and merch bought, it attracts players to the club and it pleases existing squad members.

Once again it begs the question of what we would have done this summer had we not sold Carroll. Nothing, you'd assume. "We haven’t got investment above our income" is a joke too, since as Happy Face posted our net inflow is something like £40m over the years.

Took Spurs 6 years to do it sensibly and even then a lot of money was spent...But they invested the Berbatov money and so on..

And are now fooked again with no money to spend unless they cash in on the stars, but in reality probably pushed even further down the pecking order by Liverpools 100 and odd million splurge.

Storm clouds gather over Newcastle as Alan Pardew plots purist path

Independent

As pre-seasons go, Newcastle United's has not been the smoothest. First their opening friendly at Darlington was scarred by crowd violence, then three players were denied visas for a tour of the United States and those who did cross the Atlantic endured a punishing travel schedule involving nine flights in 10 days.

Back in England, Joey Barton's frustrations erupted on Twitter and a tentative peace deal appears far from formalised. Meanwhile Cheick Tioté is stuck in Ivory Coast waiting for his UK visa to be renewed and Hatem Ben Arfa remains at a sports injury rehabilitation centre in Paris having a troublesome ankle assessed.

So it seemed somehow symbolic that the club's dress rehearsal against Fiorentina at St James' Park on Saturday was abandoned goalless after 64 minutes due to a waterlogged pitch.

Indeed, it was tempting to regard the apocalyptic storm as a microcosm of wider turmoil. Although Mike Ashley's retail business has recently boomed and its staff have received generous share windfalls, the current international financial crisis has led to £200m being wiped off the stockmarket valuation of the Newcastle owner's Sports Direct empire.

Such a plummet is hardly likely to encourage the man ranked the 655th richest in the world to hand Alan Pardew the bulk of the £35m received from Liverpool for Andy Carroll in January.

Instead Newcastle's manager – who appreciates Ashley has invested £286m in buying and then keeping Newcastle afloat during his first three years at St James' – accepts he must make do and mend.

While Pardew is close to completing a £3m deal for Manchester United's Gabriel Obertan and has been promised the funds to buy another striker this month, he knows he cannot spend his way to success.

"People have to buy into what Newcastle United is all about," said Pardew, whose side entertain Arsenal on Saturday. "We don't have the riches of other clubs. That is obvious. Sometimes you have to accept things and work as hard as you can with what you have got.

"Since I've been here that's what we've done and that's how it needs to be every game; every player needs to be focused on trying to overachieve because, if we don't, we won't be good enough."

At least in Yohan Cabaye, a £4.5m France international summer signing from Lille, he looks to have identified the playmaker Newcastle have long craved. Cabaye shone against Fiorentina and seems poised to prove integral to Pardew's increasingly purist blueprint.

"Cabaye is central to my vision of how I want us to play," said Pardew. "Last season I don't think we had control of games, especially at home. He will give us that. His passing and grasp of the ball will be significant for us. We have a very good player on our hands."

Cabaye is destined for deployment alongside Tioté in central midfield and the club are confident their Ivorian enforcer will receive his new visa in time to face Arsenal. "Tioté will probably be here on Wednesday," said Pardew, wryly aware that, at Newcastle, it rarely rains but invariably pours. "He'll definitely be available for Saturday."

It is possible that Barton, currently isolated from the first‑team squad and still available on a free transfer, could also feature against Arsène Wenger's side. The right‑sided midfielder is scheduled to discuss the future with Derek Llambias, Newcastle's managing director, this week when his removal from the transfer list is possible.

"We're all taking a deep breath, having some time out and seeing where we go with Joey," said Pardew. "I want my best players playing for the club but Joey needs to buy into what we're doing. If he doesn't, he'll probably go. We'll assess it on Monday, Tuesday or Wednesday. Me and Joey will have a couple of texts and take it from there."

José Enrique, Newcastle's left‑back, remains in limbo, too. Enrique is desperate to leave but Pardew hopes to inspire a volte face. "There's been no bids for José and I want him to stay," he said. "I keep looking at him and smiling. He smiles back but he hasn't signed the contract yet and that is a problem."

:D :D :D

I don't condone violence, but if a face-to-face meeting between Barton and Dekka ended with the latter's death, I wouldn't be complaining.

I expect it would be like that scene in Lock Stock and 2 Smoking Barrels where Vinnie Jones repeatedly slams the car door on a gangster's head. Except it would be Dekka's head in a filing cabinet, with Barton screaming about Twitter.....

Edited by Kitman

It's testament to how downtrodden our ambition is that I'd be relatively happy if we somehow managed to hang onto Barton and Enrique and brought in a striker of decent quality. The fact that Pardew is hinting at just that to me though is a further sign that they'll both be out the door in a minor flurry of activity just prior to the window closing.

It's well and good saying all that but the problem is we heard that the Carroll money would be reinvested.

only the imbeciles actually believed that.

Asked on Tuesday how many players Alan Pardew still hoping to sign, the Magpies boss confirmed that a centre forward was top of his wish list, but also commenting:

"It depends on the movement out really. We'll react, if we lose one or two players."

In til we sell all the players.

I'd have limitless respect for the man if he just quit.

I never wanted Hughton to quit and he was working under the same constraints.

Hughton fostered a togetherness in the squad despite those at the top. Pardoo has more devotion to his paymasters than to his players, which is unforgivable.

I'd rather he spoke in support of the players that served him and the club well following relegation/promotion, then he'd gain my respect. He prefers to criticise their contract demands. Shameful.

Edited by Happy Face

Hughton fostered a togetherness in the squad despite those at the top. Pardoo has more devotion to his paymasters than to his players, which is unforgivable.

I'd rather he spoke in support of the players that served him and the club well following relegation/promotion, then he'd gain my respect. He prefers to criticise their contract demands. Shameful.

Nail on head. I suggest he's over a barrel anyway and resigning would cost him money. Not that I feel sorry for him for that or that I think he wants to resign.

Thats the be all and end all of why Hughton was respected by the fans and Pardew never will

good post

Alan Pardew’s pledge to Newcastle United fans

ALAN PARDEW has vowed to “fix” Newcastle United and prevent further heartache for the Toon Army.

Jose Enrique’s exit from St James’ Park to Anfield was inevitable, but deflated Toon fans yet further.

Pardew – who goes into tomorrow’s opener with Arsenal vowing to sign two more new players before the window closes – is less than 12 months into his five-year assignment as Toon boss.

And Pardew is eager to shake off the Magpies’ tag as a “selling club” which has plagued his reign so far following the departures of Andy Carroll, Jose Enrique and Kevin Nolan – with Joey Barton also a contender to follow them out of Tyneside.

Pardew wants to bolster his squad with signings that are in it for the long haul and wants to settle fan unrest by blending Yohan Cabaye, Sylvain Marveaux, Demba Ba and Gabriel Obertan into his side and giving youngsters like Haris Vuckic and Sammy Ameobi their fair share of opportunities.

Pardew was open and honest in his assessment of the feeling on Tyneside and told the Chronicle: “It is how we set the tone. And the message has to change.

“The fans are used to bad news and players leaving – this is something we have to correct.

“The only way we can correct it is by success.”

And Pardew added: “We will get a striker and left-back over the line, 100%.

“That will be before the window shuts. We will chase those targets.

“We think we have signed well in the summer. I look forward to seeing that group.

“But I think our fans will see new players on the pitch on Saturday that will impress. I had to rebuild at West Ham, because of contract disputes, Reading and Southampton.

“I am well rehearsed in making sure the

Turn to Page 49

From Back Page

mixture is right. It is not complete yet, but by August 31 it will be.”

Pardew must resolve the Joey Barton situation ahead of the Arsenal game, but insisted that there would be no more departures this summer for fans to fear.

United skipper Fabricio Coloccini has been linked with Valencia with Cheick Tiote also a prize asset still on United books.

Pardew said: “We have secured a few of the players on long-term deals and we haven’t lost them all.

“We still have Coloccini and Tiote and good young players who can impress our fans.”

And he insisted that there was still plenty to look forward to from his new look team this year.

Pardew will start with Yohan Cabaye and Tiote against the Gunners and could even hand a start to Gabriel Obertan with Demba Ba poised for his Premier League bow in black and white.

He said: “Cabaye and Ba look ready to rumble.

“Marveaux is a bit off the pace because of his injury, but we have Obertan now.

“These players who the fans haven’t seen will like what they see.”

Speaking on Tiote, who has secured his visa and is back from Ghana, Pardew said: “He trained yesterday morning and he will start the game.

“We expect him to have a great season.”

Meanwhile, United’s board have thrashed out a two-year bonus programme for Toon players ahead of the new campaign that will see them richly-rewarded for a top-10 finish.

Pardew, who was instrumental in the talks, said: “The bonus sheet is over the line now and it didn’t last year.

“It was important for the group and the board that they focus on being as one.

“In the scheme of things it might not seem important.

“But it’s about the board saying ‘You will get this reward for finishing here in the league, so let’s try to achieve it’. We have managed to agree it.”

Here we go again on United rollercoaster

ALAN PARDEW promises to bring control and poise to his Newcastle United team this season.

On the eve of the new Premier League campaign, Pardew had to practice what he preached in a different sense in front of another packed media conference in which he was supposed to be talking about football and the season ahead.

Pardew stated that nobody likes change, but it is something he had lived with throughout his footballing life – not least as manager at Reading, West Ham and Charlton Athletic.

At Newcastle he has experienced change on an almost weekly basis since arriving last Christmas.

For the second week running Pardew had little choice but to address the issue of players leaving St James’ Park, with questions pressed from all directions about just where Newcastle United are heading this season.

It has been another tough old week in Toon.

True, the arrival of Gabriel Obertan this week from Manchester United lightened the mood a little.

The flying winger taking the bull by the horns this week offered slight encouragement at least to a group of fans who feel a little weary despite five signings coming through the door and more to come.

Jose Enrique’s departure to Liverpool was inevitable but it has not made events any easier to stomach.

In truth, Enrique has not been the same figure since Andy Carroll left Tyneside in January with his internal protests about the lack of investment on par with supporters’ concerns.

Seeing a clutch of youngsters on the first-team bus riled Enrique in January at Fulham and it has snowballed ever since for the ex-La Liga player.

However, the difference is, Enrique will move on to Merseyside, sign a new lucrative contract and soon be applauding a different set of punters.

The fans do not move anywhere, they never move.

Pardew kept it upbeat during almost 90 minutes of interviews with respective media and there are not many Premier League managers who would do the same.

He must do the same for another 90 minutes when back in the technical area against Arsenal on Saturday night.

Last February, Pardew stood alone at 4-0 down against the same opponents in the same enclosed space with many supporters making it clear what they thought.

Incredibly, the Toon boss will feel being back in the dugout in a Premier League game is a relief compared to his transfer conundrums this summer!

None of his media duties are to appease his own ego, especially when the time could have been spent on the training ground or more importantly nailing down players.

Pardew’s main reasons for spending so much time with the media is responsibility.

Pardew is the only voice emerging from the four walls of St James’ Park attempting to relay as much as he can to the fans.

No manager would want to lose a player of Enrique’s ability, but the alternatives were equally as grim if he stayed and did not sign the lucrative deal put in front of him weeks ago.

Enrique was a slow starter in black and white but excelled in the Championship and looked every inch the star man last season.

After turning his nose up at the contract, the Spaniard has moped throughout the summer and made it clear he does not want to be in Newcastle.

Keeping a player not giving 100% and then losing him for sweet FA would surely have been an even bigger kick in the teeth to fans – especially if he can be replaced by Dutch international Erik Pieters in the coming days.

So to the other reinforcements.

Pardew pledged Enrique would be replaced and the money would go back into the transfer kitty.

A new striker can also not come quickly enough in a week when ex-target Shane Long have opted for West Brom and Peter Crouch has come close to signing for Stoke City.

However, supporters will find any talk of that kitty being spent hard to take at face value, with many of them pointing to the fact not enough of the £35m Andy Carroll money has been reinvested into the team.

Again, Pardew revealed his confidence his side would be fully bolstered by the time August 31 arrives.

Even then, though, he confessed that, while Newcastle do not cough up for established and proven Premier League players, they are vulnerable.

Stars like Cheick Tiote and Fabricio Coloccini remain on Gallowgate, that is something. Pardew acknowledged that.

There were assurances that in terms of outgoings that will probably be it.

That, though, was not counting the troublesome tangle of issues surrounding Joey Barton, a player who would be first name on the team sheet in the eyes of some fans.

Incomings is where it is all at according to Pardew.

Barton’s involvement against Arsenal is yet to be decided, the question being whether the midfielder can convince Pardew he is rowing in the same direction as the rest of his team-mates.

It is easy to forget come Saturday night the Toon Army could be celebrating a famous win over the Gunners.

They could be looking forward to seeing Enrique’s replacement and the possibility of a striker – and of course looking ahead to derby day at Sunderland this time next week.

That is how the cookie has always crumbled in these parts, so why was the beginning of a new football season ever going to be any different?

The black-and-white rollercoaster is about to move again and it will not be stopping for 10 months.

Buckle your seatbelts – here we go again!

Read More http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/newcastle-u.../#ixzz1Uocogd8d

Don't believe anything he says. 100%

Even if we did bring in a left back and a CF, I'll not be placated. The first 11 has been completely transformed. You have to add quality in small doses each window, not replace all the existing quality with unknown quantities....

http://www.toontastic.net/board/index.php?...t=0#entry945012

Even if we did bring in a left back and a CF, I'll not be placated. The first 11 has been completely transformed. You have to add quality in small doses each window, not replace all the existing quality with unknown quantities....

:lol: What if it works and we're performing better than last year in a few months with good results behind us?

:lol: What if it works and we're performing better than last year in a few months with good results behind us?

What if Wise finds us some geat players?

What if Keegan is shown to be wrong at the tribunal?

What if Kinnear keeps us up?

What if we spend the £35m?

What if the atmosphere's better without the corner?

What if Pardoo does better than Hughton?

I congratulate them when something good comes from something they do...or I will. Anyone who doesn't learn from history is doomed to repeat their mistakes.

Mike Ashley tells Pardew to get a top ten finish

ALAN PARDEW has been told to gain a top-10 finish by Toon owner Mike Ashley.

Pardew admitted that the board have made mistakes in the past but wants to take the club on to the next level.

The United manager kicks off the season with a home opener against Arsenal tonight determined to get off to a winning start.

And in an interview to be shown on ESPN’s Newcastle v Arsenal coverage tonight, Pardew opened up about his rapport with Ashley.

He said: “I didn’t really have a relationship with them when I first came, it was reported that I had, but I hadn’t.

“It’s the same as anything, you learn the slight differences in people the more you get to know them.

“One thing I’ve learnt about Mike is that success drives him. If you look at his companies, that’s what he wants.

“And he does it in a way that sometimes can be brutal and harsh, but my job is to manage that, sometimes when he goes in that mode.

“He wants to be a top 10 team, and he wants that this year.

“I say to him what I think I need and he’ll argue that, but ultimately he wants to bring success to Newcastle like he has with Sports Direct.

“Hopefully we can do that, but we’re not going to do that by paying over the odds and trying to compete with the likes of Man City. “

And Pardew added: “This is a unique club, its got history about it.

“We have owners here who have made mistakes, and therefore you can always be critical about the club, but what you can’t be critical of is the passion that’s here, that will always endure, it will endure through the players and will endure today.

“The passion in the terraces will go onto the pitch, and you’ll never beat that.”

Pardew will make a decision on whether Joey Barton plays or not tonight just a few hours before the kick off.

And after holding talks with Barton yesterday, Pardew said: “I genuinely like Joey.

“This twitter business, I look at the stuff he puts on there and sometimes makes me laugh sometimes I thinks he makes a big mistake, and I’ve expressed that to him.

“I think it’s very dangerous for footballers to be on there.

“Because you are in breach of your contract if you say anything in any shape or form about the club.”

l Watch the interview in full on ESPN’s live and exclusive coverage of Newcastle and Arsenal today (13 August) from 4.45pm. Visit espn.co.uk/tv for details.