Generic small time football blather thread

Guest You FCB Get Out Of Our Club

• Replies 8.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nope. We let in 30 goals on our travels in 2008/09. Di Santo's goal yesterday was the 31st we'd conceded away from home in 2011/12

Stats like this does make you sit back and think, doesn't it? Several times this season I've said we've finally got a solid defence to be proud of yet we're still conceeding more goals than ever on paper!

Taking stock, I think Krul has been a surprisingly brilliant long term replacement for Given. Let's be honest, not many thought we'd find someone as good as Shay so quickly. Coloccini has been nothing short of brilliant this season and fully deserving of his place on the PFA team of the year.

But the rest of the defence is massively under scrutiny IMO. Sure there's been highlights - Simpson's goal-line clearances and Ryan Taylor's goals but one (or a couple) swallow doesn't make a summer.

They're admirable squad players, but going forward we need better full-backs and a centre-back to compliment Colo.

Like I said in another thread though, the thing is that we're conceding lots of (away) goals in relatively few fixtures. As opposed to lots of goals spread out over plenty of games which would obviously be worse. So with that in mind, things aren't as bad as they appear perhaps.

It's very strange though, if we lose it has to be an annihilation by the winning team. Arsenal may have only beaten us 2-1 but they annihilated us everywhere but on the scoresheet. West Brom is the only loss where we've actually been unlucky or whatever. That said we were more than in the game against Fulham up until half-time in the reverse fixture.

To me it looks like the defence just cant cope with teams who play it past our midfield. When we face a team playing it a bit wide from side to side, the midfield takes quite abit of the edge off with cabaye jonas and tiote doing a bit of legwork and grafting.

When teams decide to run past them however, they are instantly challenging our backline and we just cant cope with it.

Whether its down to actual lack of skill or its just a confidence thing, I dont know - but we look in absolute shambles when it happends.

The mildy worrying truth is that the defence doesnt seem comfortable on its own, they only seem to cope when they either have the midfield drop deep to protect them or take the battle further up-pitch.

Makes you think how an "off-day" in a european competition would pan out, instead of 1 goal you concede 4-5....

I hope we adress this somehow because I cant see Athletico madrid/bilbao hanging around the midfield just to be nice - they will attack us the same way wigan did and with far better players.

Like I said in another thread though, the thing is that we're conceding lots of (away) goals in relatively few fixtures. As opposed to lots of goals spread out over plenty of games which would obviously be worse. So with that in mind, things aren't as bad as they appear perhaps.

It's very strange though, if we lose it has to be an annihilation by the winning team. Arsenal may have only beaten us 2-1 but they annihilated us everywhere but on the scoresheet. West Brom is the only loss where we've actually been unlucky or whatever. That said we were more than in the game against Fulham up until half-time in the reverse fixture.

Our goal difference in comparison to those around us says otherwise.

Edited by Craig

I dont know if I agree with that sentiment Monroe. I think its slightly worrying that when we lose, we lose by a cricket score like, it doesnt bode well for europe.

We still havent come back from 1-0 down under pardew, Its just a random fact but still.

We have been twatted on several occations this season, I dont know if its down to the players or pardew - but what we need to work on is more consistent performances. The first step into becoming a better team ( I wont write top because realistically we should aim for "best of the rest") would be to try to stabilize the performances.

You rarely see the best team randomly getting beaten 4-0 or 5-0 by average midtable or bottom teams, it just doesnt happen.

Edited by Lake Bells tits

I dont know if I agree with that sentiment Monroe. I think its slightly worrying that when we lose, we lose by a cricket score like, it doesnt bode well for europe.

We still havent come back from 1-0 down under pardew, Its just a random fact but still.

We have been twatted on several occations this season, I dont know if its down to the players or pardew - but what we need to work on is more consistent performances. The first step into becoming a better team ( I wont write top because realistically we should aim for "best of the rest") would be to try to stabilize the performances.

You rarely see the best team randomly getting beaten 4-0 or 5-0 by average midtable or bottom teams, it just doesnt happen.

No it's not.

excuse my ignorance if so...

but is from BBC Look North presenter Jeff Brown outed as a mackem? His crack on the football roundup reeks of the bitterness of the unwashed...

jeff-brown.jpg

To think at the start of the season our defence was one of the best in the league. It cant all be down to Steve Taylor :lol:

I wouldn't dismiss it. He looked like a rock. Williamson is absolutely hopeless. I'd genuinely start perch ahead of him

I wouldn't dismiss it. He looked like a rock. Williamson is absolutely hopeless. I'd genuinely start perch ahead of him

Well, ST is prone to errors (and getting shot on the line!). But I agree not as many as Williamson.

Ideally we bring in a centre half and have them push colo and ST for a start. We know ST misses part of near every season.

A few thoughts from the day

- David Moyes really does deserve a crack at a bigger club. Since 2002, and with spending a fraction of what some clubs have spent, he's managed to finish (in no particular order) 4th, 5th, 5th, 6th, 7th, 7th, 7th and 8th amongst others.

- The club shop at St James is a lot better than it used to be. Just been in and they have a massive selection of foreign shirts. France, Senegal and Ivory Coast National shirts and a variety of club shirts from Europe and South America. Their footie boot selection isn't too shabby either.

- Now that it looks like we won't be finishing 4th I really hope Chelsea win the Champions League just to shit on Harry's parade a little bit more :lol:

- Just been watching the tekkers/skill clips section on Soccer AM. NUFC were on about 4 times. We really have one of the most skillful squads I can remember. Ben Arfa, Cisse, Ba, Cabaye etc. Some of their touches/finishes are up there with the best I've seen in my lifetime.

I agree with this, we've just had a few big defeats that make stats like this jump out, 18 goals in 4 games is unacceptable but doesn't really show the bigger picture.

It's like the stat where we scored more home goals last season than all of the other premiership clubs apart from Man Utd, yet we still knew our frontline was poor.

It's like the reverse this year.

I agree with this, we've just had a few big defeats that make stats like this jump out, 18 goals in 4 games is unacceptable but doesn't really show the bigger picture.

It's like the stat where we scored more home goals last season than all of the other premiership clubs apart from Man Utd, yet we still knew our frontline was poor.

It's like the reverse this year.

Things go tits up bigtime occationally. Id rather lose 1 game 4-0 than 4 games 1-0, but at the same time it needs taken a look at. If we are to sement our position as a top-7 team, it needs sorting.

Probably just a matter of replacing williamson and simpson, they disintergrate under pressure.

Things go tits up bigtime occationally. Id rather lose 1 game 4-0 than 4 games 1-0, but at the same time it needs taken a look at. If we are to sement our position as a top-7 team, it needs sorting.

Probably just a matter of replacing williamson and simpson, they disintergrate under pressure.

:gay:

- David Moyes really does deserve a crack at a bigger club. Since 2002, and with spending a fraction of what some clubs have spent, he's managed to finish (in no particular order) 4th, 5th, 5th, 6th, 7th, 7th, 7th and 8th amongst others.

He cannit get his shit together in August/September though. Mad how frequently they have to climb the league as the season progresses.