http://www.nufc.co.uk/articles/20111110/club-announce-stadium-name-plans_2281670_2511479

Newcastle United have today announced plans to license the full naming rights to the club's stadium following consultation with international branding experts.

The board are committed to generating additional commercial revenue from advertising and sponsorship opportunities. The original naming rights proposal, launched in November 2009, invited sponsors to link their brand to St. James' Park, but this did not prove commercially attractive.

As such, the club will now seek a sponsor who will be granted full naming rights. Until such time the stadium will be renamed the Sports Direct Arena.

Managing Director, Derek Llambias, said: "Our aim for Newcastle United is to continue to deliver success for the fans and everyone associated with the Club. We must make this Club financially self-sufficient in order to deliver that success.

To grow sustainably and allow us to invest in our future, we will need to rely increasingly heavily on commercial income. These are very difficult economic times and the board have a responsibility to maximise all revenue streams for the benefit of the Club. Stadium rebranding offers a lucrative way for clubs to secure significant additional income.

"When we initially launched our plans at the end of 2009, we invited sponsors to attach their brand to that of St. James' Park. However it has become clear that in order to make the proposition as commercially attractive as possible, a potential sponsor must be given the opportunity to fully rebrand the stadium.

"Naming the stadium the Sports Direct Arena helps up to showcase the opportunity to interested parties. We are now actively seeking a long-term sponsor wishing to acquire full naming rights for the stadium.

"Our shirt sponsorship deal with Northern Rock will also expire at the end of this season, which presents would-be sponsors with the opportunity to acquire both the naming rights and shirt sponsorship deals."

Why no consultation with fans?

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Brian McNally is a wanker. He is, but he's used the right word just there, it is OBSCENE. If people are going to come out with total pish about extra money coming in to the club to win trophies (which we won't ever), then why stop with St James'. Surely if you're going to let an 130 year piece of heritage just evaporate to nothing, why stop there?????? 130 years. Why not renaming the club Newcastle Sports Direct Sports Bras??? Why not do that if we're accepting this, we've only been known as Newcastle United for 119 years. Pah what's 119 years for an extra 5-10m. Fucking unbelievable. It would never happen at Man Utd, I tell you something it else it would never happen at an irrelevance of a club like Celtic who have fuck all money because the fans wouldn't let it happen.

So HF are you saying that when SD inevitably become our shirt sponsors, this will also be free?

Only if you're saying renaming the stadium will inevitibly lead to us winning the league.

I don't think SD will go on the shirts as 90% of them are sold in the north east or to ex pats who hate the shithole and won't buy....if it did, ashley won't pay for the privelige. He sees it as his right having invested what he has.

I didn't follow that, let's pick it up tomorrow. I don't like this but if it's not bullshit then it's right for the club's business unfortunately. That's how shit modern football is.

from ESPN site........

......Even their owners are starting to look vaguely competent. The £35 million they squeezed out of Liverpool for Andy Carroll is starting to look like an inspired transaction, especially as the freebie (Demba Ba) they replaced him with has four times the number of Premier League goals. In fact things are going so well, it is about time they did something horrendously stupid, like renaming the St James' Park hostelry known as' Shearer's' the 'Joe Kinnear Speakeasy'.

author almost called this one.....

article date nov 7, eerily ITK

What we should do is every game the whole ground Justice For the 96 style, sing Sports Direct is fuckin shite for 6 minutes, hopefully putting any potential sponsors off. Also hopefully making them reconsider what a fucking unreal decision they've made.

Fucking unbelievable. It would never happen at Man Utd, I tell you something it else it would never happen at an irrelevance of a club like Celtic who have fuck all money because the fans wouldn't let it happen.

This.

Would Man U even consider renaming Old Trafford???

The club will never see the value of the SD advertising/renaming paid to them and anyone that believes otherwise is fooling themselves.

We're gonna be seeing not a penny at all from any of the SD signage we're really not. Not at one point has Llambias says that SD is sponsoring the club and putting money into the club in any of the interviews, just basically to show what would happen to potential sponsors, and thats the point he will make when the accounts or whatever come out.

Wait... you're being serious?

Just sick and tired of Ashley, he is a cunt. Shepherd is the only alternative at the moment and a much better one. He has his faults but it's like choosing to commit suicide by being castrated or taking a set of pills. Long story short, I rather take the pills.

Edited by Flair

I've never ever softened my stance to this fat doylem, I never will I hate him. Just look forward to the day this fat waste of air dies or gets bored and we get a new owner who will surely get rid of this horrific insult to the fans. I feel sick to the bottom of my stomach the longer I think about this the worse it is, my earlier post about getting behind the team isn't even sitting well with me anymore this fat cunt is ruining everything he's mutating the club I grew up with, the club I love what a horrible arrogant total cunt of a man.

This total shitbag isn't doing this for profits anymore this is a precise calculated swift kick to the collective bollocks of everyone born and raised in and around Newcastle, as has already been said he could have simply sold the rights but he knew NOONE would touch them same as noone would touch the naming rights for Old Trafford or Anfield. I hate him and will not type what I wish on this mug.

I've never ever softened my stance to this fat doylem, I never will I hate him. Just look forward to the day this fat waste of air dies or gets bored and we get a new owner who will surely get rid of this horrific insult to the fans. I feel sick to the bottom of my stomach the longer I think about this the worse it is, my earlier post about getting behind the team isn't even sitting well with me anymore this fat cunt is ruining everything he's mutating the club I grew up with, the club I love what a horrible arrogant total cunt of a man.

This total shitbag isn't doing this for profits anymore this is a precise calculated swift kick to the collective bollocks of everyone born and raised in and around Newcastle, as has already been said he could have simply sold the rights but he knew NOONE would touch them same as noone would touch the naming rights for Old Trafford or Anfield. I hate him and will not type what I wish on this mug.

Man U could and likely will sell their naming rights. When they realise their noisy neighbour is moving further and further away from them on the pitch they will see selling their name as the only way to stop a gap opening. When SAF departs / dies/ strokes out / cirrhosis (most likely outcome) they will be massively vulnerable. Think of the deal that City have recently done worth £400m - not that NUFC could attract such revenues.

"After a week of bidding, the letters finally went under the virtual hammer for a total of £15,536.13 (minus commission). The higest price paid for one individual letter was £3100.00 for the first “N” in the sign to go on sale, though the other “N”, which was exactly the same went for a far more modest £959.99. The chepest of the letters was the letter “I”, which went for a mere £555.44."

http://www.nufcblog.org/2011/10/old-newcastle-united-east-stand-sign-finally-sells-for-15536-13-on-ebay/

"After a week of bidding, the letters finally went under the virtual hammer for a total of £15,536.13 (minus commission). The higest price paid for one individual letter was £3100.00 for the first “N” in the sign to go on sale, though the other “N”, which was exactly the same went for a far more modest £959.99. The chepest of the letters was the letter “I”, which went for a mere £555.44."

http://www.nufcblog.org/2011/10/old-newcastle-united-east-stand-sign-finally-sells-for-15536-13-on-ebay/

That went well then. :scratchchin: