The Great British riots

Gene_Clark

If he did have an illegal gun (that is if), then boo hoo what a shame. The people who carry weapons like that are most likely proper criminals, oddly enough. There was a lot of talk about the 'community' and police having strained relationships, so I gues he was black as well.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I still remember the 'justification' for the Meadow Well riots back in the early 90's. Two twockers were run off the road by the police after knicking someone's car. The mother was hysterical shrieking 'they were only doing their jobs', as if car theft was now a viable career option all of a sudden.

The police may have cocked this up but whther or not he had a real firearm is largely irrelevant imo, he's not an innocent casualty I reckon.

This was the sort of craic he was coming out with.

Jody McIntyre witnessed the riots in Brixton on Sunday evening. He told Huff Post UK trouble flared up in the area of South London at around midnight and around 500 people were involved in disorder. A Curry’s was set on fire and police were attacked. The self described journalist and activist has been accused of inciting riots but says it is important to understand why London is witnessing disorder.

What happened?

It started on Brixton high street, past McDonalds.

The most important thing about this story is why it’s happening. The most recent thing was the shooting of Mark Duggan in Tottenham. But Brixton particularly has a history of quite extreme police oppression and many people have died in Brixton whilst in police custody.

Why do you think the rioting spread?

People have died in Brixton police station so obviously the people in that community feel a strong sense of solidarity. After the rioting in Tottenham the night before, people picked up on the trouble.

The first building that was attacked was the footlocker and then eventually they set it on fire. Brixton police station is roughly 100 metres from footlocker. For the first 25 minutes the police did not come. I think it’s quite clear that rather than deal with the root causes of this unrest they would rather portray local people as violent thugs. They want to portray this as mindless violence.

What type of people were there?

I remember seeing one quite old man walking into the estate. Just sitting on the road observing. It’s interesting because people of that age will remember the last Brixton riots. There were young people as well.

Why do you think the police allowed it to happen?

When I was by Curry’s a police helicopter flew so low that I was sitting in my car and I could feel the helicopter above me. The helicopter was filming everything. Everything. So young people need to realise if they’re going to go out they need to cover their faces. The crackdown has been promised by the police. They want to number one portray us as violent people and then use that as a pretext for more arrests, more stop and searches and more targeting for young people in the community.

Do you think Footlocker is the right target?

On a personal level I think Brixton police station would be a better target than footlocker. But you have to consider the environment we’re living in. These people are not political activists, they’re local residents and when the community has been brutalised by police.

It’s about equality. This is an execution that happened, the man they killed didn’t fire a shot. They executed a person. The media always plays the same role in these cases: to discredit the story of the police brutality. I really have no interest in Mark Duggan’s personal background.

The only interest I have is how can police shoot someone in the street and not be held accountable? This is not the first time that this has happened. And when the community sees that how else can they respond when they see the police can kill people and get away with it.

Were you scared when you saw the rioting?

The police are probably the biggest armed gang in this area. So obviously I was concerned that the police might attack people. But also it’s inequality that’s at the heart of it. If you sit on Effra road [in Brixton] and you look at Curry’s which is this huge company making millions of pounds and then you look at the estate directly opposite that shot where they can no longer afford anything from that shop, if that shop’s wide open why wouldn’t you walk through that door?

I find it very difficult to condemn the looting myself. I feel sympathy when small cornershops and people’s homes are damaged but I don’t feel any sympathy for JD sports or M&S.

Has the police’s credibility been damaged in the wake of the phone hacking scandal?

I think people living in Brixton or Tottenham knew about the corruption of the police a very long time before the phone hacking scandal came out. Maybe the phone hacking scandal made something that was already true clear to a more mainstream audience. People in Brixton, Tottenham, Peckham all of these areas have been suffering the violence of the police for decades. It’s very naive to look at these riots without the context. If you look at Tottenham you have a situation where that area is getting 75% cuts. This is what happened when you cut people’s services and use that money to send our young people to go and kill people in other countries.

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2011/08/08...d_n_920934.html

*waves cheerily at the lovely north from the rubbish south of the river*

:D

iconhi.gif

Are you in amongst it? :D

city going up in flames around us tbh, thankful of our gated community now :D

off out to grab one of them 3d tellies

Bound to spread to other cities. Sunderland?

It has! :D

I've just drove through, inhumane stuff happening there as a consequence I fully support the media blackout by Sky Sports & ESPN.

Bound to spread to other cities. Sunderland?

It has! :D

I've just drove through, inhumane stuff happening there as a consequence I fully support the media blackout by Sky Sports & ESPN.

I occasionally frequent an Astra forum. Some bloke is quite openly selling flatscreens and blu rays he nicked last night :D

http://www.astraownersclub.com/vb/showthread.php?t=323609

http://www.astraownersclub.com/vb/showpost...mp;postcount=28

:D Saddling up the high horse.

:D I cant condone shite like that man. And Kevin, you would be barricaded in your bedroom rocking in the corner so don't start that shite