Steve Harper

Tooj

i reckon he'll retire tbh and theyre expecting forster gone to celtic permanently at the end of this season.

getting one in now as a backup rather than two next season makes sense in a way

Until Krul gets injured and we have a League 1 keeper and Sodeberg as back up

true but keeper injuries are freak injuries really unless youre talking about chris kirkland. harper played 45 of our 46 CCC games as number 1

then he and krul swapped about a bit this season but they still played massive numbers of games one after the other

its the same for most clubs and most keepers, they tend not to get injured a great deal thats why chelsea have hilario and turnbull or whoever it is as backups, theyre not particularly good but they'll sit on the bench most of the season without moaning while cech is number 1

Edited by Semimental

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i reckon he'll retire tbh and theyre expecting forster gone to celtic permanently at the end of this season.

true but keeper injuries are freak injuries really unless youre talking about chris kirkland. harper played 45 of our 46 CCC games as number 1

then he and krul swapped about a bit this season but they still played massive numbers of games one after the other

its the same for most clubs and most keepers, they tend not to get injured a great deal

You dont half talk some shite.

Keepers go down low for 50/50 balls all the time. Given missed ages with a serious internal injury. Cech got a fractured skull. Keepers get injured all the time

its the same for most clubs and most keepers, they tend not to get injured a great deal

You dont half talk some shite.

Keepers go down low for 50/50 balls all the time. Given missed ages with a serious internal injury. Cech got a fractured skull. Keepers get injured all the time

cite more then

before either of those injuries given had played 36-38 pl games for us in every season except his first which he played 29 in. only once did he play less than 20 in the PL for us until we sold him cechs record is the same for chelsea, only twice has he played less than 30 of their PL matches.

Reina since his breakthrough season at villareal has NEVER played less than 33 league games a season, for the last 4 years hes not missed one PL match for liverpool

Friedel played 38 Pl games for the last 7 seasons, played 36 and 37 the seasons before that

Don't think this is bad business. Harper is nearing the end and Forster wouldn't sit on the bench to Krul. Plus if we spent 'big' cash on a keeper, Krul is likely to leave. So as back-up, it's ok. Pards worked with him at Charlton so must know if he can cut it

Maybe there's something we don't know(not surprising), maybe there's something in the wind about Krul, maybe there's something in the wind about Harper.

Why would Elliot sign with us to be a 3rd choice keeper if Krul & Harper stay.

Why would Elliot sign with us to sit on the bench every week as 2nd choice behind Krul if Harper is away.

If Elliot was a starter at Charlton why would he sign for a club knowing he wouldn't be 1st choice.

Maybe there's something we don't know(not surprising), maybe there's something in the wind about Krul, maybe there's something in the wind about Harper.

Why would Elliot sign with us to be a 3rd choice keeper if Krul & Harper stay.

Why would Elliot sign with us to sit on the bench every week as 2nd choice behind Krul if Harper is away.

If Elliot was a starter at Charlton why would he sign for a club knowing he wouldn't be 1st choice.

Krul is going nowhere man. To be honest none of us know what's really happening with Harper. Either way Harper is near the end of his career. They clearly don't rate Forster and might well have doubts about Soderberg so this guy will come in to fight with Krul I imagine. Don't forget that he was a League One keeper. The draw of the Prem is that massive that some players are wiling to come in knowing they'll reside on the bench more often than not.

• 1 month later...

I cba looking through the thread. BUT A lad here who is a ST holder at SJP was telling me, Harper is our second highest paid player behind Colo?

He recons every time Shay Given got a wage rise it was written in his contract he got one too and now he is on £75k? WTF!

Tell him he's talking absolute fucking bollocks. Apparently Shay wasn't particularly well payed in his time here, relatively obviously (think he was on about £30k per week). On top of that, why the fuck would the club grant Harper that demand when he's basically always been a reserve? Secondly, he got a new contract something like 2 years ago. Are you telling me Ashley agreed to give him £75k a week? The shite people talk man. Is this bloke a taxi driver btw?

Tell him he's talking absolute fucking bollocks. Apparently Shay wasn't particularly well payed in his time here, relatively obviously (think he was on about £30k per week). On top of that, why the fuck would the club grant Harper that demand when he's basically always been a reserve? Secondly, he got a new contract something like 2 years ago. Are you telling me Ashley agreed to give him £75k a week? The shite people talk man. Is this bloke a taxi driver btw?

:lol:

I do believe there could be some truth that his salary was linked to Given's though. SBR hinted that Harper was the best paid back up keeper in British football in his book, but at the same time I don't believe Given was ever on more than £50k here.

• 1 year later...

Not being offered a new contract, wants to play on and has interest from the Championship. A few mackems having a bash at Caulkin on twitter about his praise for Harper.

@Joey7Barton

@CaulkinTheTimes don't let the nugget get to you George. Nobody can ever Q Steve Harper. He's a toon man through and through. #loyalman

he was a vital part of the group that pulled Newcastle out of the championship. Anyone Q'ing his ambition is foolish...

unlucky that Shay was at the top of his game and never moved. Harps should of had at least an England call up IMO

good outfield player too. To balance the piece, I have to mention his red kipper and his awful dress sense! #harps

@CaulkinTheTimes

@Joey7Barton ha ha. I don't understand the ambition thing. As if he didn't push himself to the limit every day.

great servant to the club. unlucky not to be number 1 for so long behind given then when he finally gets his shot, it coincides with krul's emergence as a top class young keeper. but a very solid number two over the years. should get a testimonial.

Good luck to him. He's been a good servant to the club (although I think a bit more ambition on his part would have won him an international call up) but we now have two better keepers than him.

Think he does deserve a charity match (the concept of testimonials for premiership players is a bit out dated now) to show out appreciation.

He's a prime example of a player who has near as damn it given up a career as a professional footballer to earn a lot of money watching professional football from the bench/stands. He's put money before ambition so let's have no more nonesense about a testimonial because he would probably want to sit on the bench or in the stands for the game.

Edited by essembeeofsunderland