Danny Simpson

DubiousBobcat

If we're gonna persist with this archaic 80's 442 we actually need 2 new wingers.

To be honest, I'd like us to play with 3 central midfielders and leave the wings to the full backs, but that would take many many more players.

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest CabayeAye

If we're gonna persist with this archaic 80's 442 we actually need 2 new wingers.

You can call it archaic all you want, mate, but we've been shit when we've played 433.

• 1 month later...

Stats show Danny Simpson is league's top right-back

TO say that Danny Simpson splits opinion in the eyes of Newcastle United fans would be an understatement.

Some Toon fans have begged him to sign a new contract, while one Twitter troll warned him he would be “shot” if he didn’t leave Tyneside this summer.

Much maligned by some sections of his own supporters – but described as a “revelation” by former England and Manchester United right-back Gary Neville – Simpson must wonder whether to laugh or cry sometimes.

If only the Twitterati and the messageboard maniacs did their research before plunging the knife into players from their bedrooms.

According to the Premier League Player Index, which is used by players, scouts, managers and coaches across the world, Simpson’s stats are bettered by just four players in the Premier League this season.

Only Patrice Evra, Benoit Assou-Ekotto, Ashley Cole and Leighton Baines have racked up more points for tackles, crosses, interceptions, clearances and ground coverage. Simpson is actually ranked at 23 in the entire Premier League index table – a list that includes 609 top flight players.

Statistically he is the number one right-back in the Premier League, according to the index.

Simpson is ahead of so-called star-name defenders in the Premier League such as John Terry, Joleon Lescott, ex-team-mate Jose Enrique and even his own captain, Fabricio Coloccini.

But he is king of the right-backs in the top flight.

Notably, Simpson has made SEVEN goal-line clearances this season.

Anybody who accuses Simpson of bottling it when it comes to tackling may be interested to know that the right-back has an 83% success rate of coming away with the ball – and he has lost out in just nine tackles.

He has completed 159 defensive duties including completed tackles, clearances, interceptions and blocks – 43 more than Spurs’ Kyle Walker.

He has made more clearances than any other player this season with 39. Branislav Ivanovic of Chelsea is his nearest rival on 30.

And in terms of being a hard worker, Simpson has racked up an impressive 173.9 miles – Walker of Spurs is his nearest rival but is eight miles off the pace. Yet for some, the work-rate of the full-back isn’t enough – and it appears he has become an easy target for Tweeters.

The criticism of Simpson got so bad last month that the Mancunian full-back deleted his own Twitter account after the 2-1 loss at Arsenal.

That night, Simpson took a throw down his side of the field and after Newcastle lost possession, Thomas Vermaelen pounced in the right-back domain to secure three points for the Gunners in stoppage time.

Alan Pardew later explained that Simpson had picked up an injury during the game and was unable to track back.

Simpson said back then: “Time to delete this – never read so much s*** in my life.

“It hurts to read that stuff when you’re trying your hardest every day.”

Two weeks later at West Brom after a solid performance, I approached Simpson in the tunnel at the Hawthorns and asked if he had time for a word.

His response was a cautious one: “Go on then.”

It was only then that it dawned on me what an influence social networking can have on a young player.

Off the field, Simpson is one of the most approachable characters at Newcastle United. He’s a polite lad who puts some former players to shame when it comes to liaising with the Geordie public.

My memory takes me back to a warm day at Selhurst Park in one of his first games for the club at Crystal Palace.

With Newcastle in town and the workie ticket stewards at the crumbling Croydon stadium keen to big up their part, members of the Press were being shoved around as they tried to get on with the task of interviewing players.

In the infancy of an interview with Simpson, a Palace steward – who had no right to do so – attempted to terminate the discussion and told Simpson to get on to the bus. Simpson simply kept his cool, reminded the steward of his duties and got on with the piece and talked for another 15 minutes.

In that brief moment it summed up what Simpson was all about for me, as other players would have made their excuses and left.

Whatever people have to say about Simpson, he has been a solid and steady signing for the Magpies since arriving in 2009 on loan from Man United.

Simpson joined the club after one-time cult hero Habib Beye – now plying his trade at lowly Doncaster – quit Tyneside in pursuit of bigger and better things. Simpson’s task, filling Beye’s shoes, was a big challenge, but he got on with his job quietly in the Championship and was a key member of the team that won promotion.

He then helped solidify Newcastle last season as they survived their first season in the Premier League.

This season his statistics have been right up there with the best of them.

But his future remains unclear on Tyneside.

Simpson is yet to come to an agreement over a contract extension and his current deal will run out at the end of next season – leaving him vulnerable this summer as Newcastle would have little choice but to cash in on him if the contract remains unsigned, as they risk losing him for nothing in 2013.

Contract talks have broken down on a number of occasions this term but the Chronicle understands that rather than Simpson demanding more money, there appears to be a discrepancy in the player’s payment plan.

Whether Simpson stays at Newcastle remains to be seen.

However, nobody can take away from the contributions of a player who has clearly aided Newcastle’s bid to finish in the top six this season.

I read the first part but it doesn't mean anything mate. Compared to the likes of Evra he is always going to get more goal line clearances etc etc because the big teams don't get dominated as much at the back. He is going to have a lot more opportunity to put more tackles in and clearances so his stats will be higher. Doesn't mean anything.

I read the first part but it doesn't mean anything mate. Compared to the likes of Evra he is always going to get more goal line clearances etc etc because the big teams don't get dominated as much at the back. He is going to have a lot more opportunity to put more tackles in and clearances so his stats will be higher. Doesn't mean anything.

It means he shouldn't be on the get rid list if we are serious about improving the squad.

It means he shouldn't be on the get rid list if we are serious about improving the squad.

I'm just not a fan, I look at how we play down the left and I don't see it on the right. If he doesn't sign a new deal (which is looking likely) we will lose him for nothing. Whatever happens hopefully we can bring someone else in as cover at least.

There certainly players Id get rid of before him and he has done a canny job. To say he is the best in the league is way off though.

clearing things off the line just means someone has fecked up, and i'd say a lot of the crosses coming in that create corners etc for these clearances are because he is consistently standing off his man letting them pump balls into the box.

great for the bench

and as 2bias said those stats mean little in the grand scheme of things

You see where I'm coming from.

He is a good defender but I wouldn't say he is a "Quality" defender.

Points for goal line clearances must be high. To be honest, I dont think he is as bad as some are making out. Quite a solid full back.

He must have cleared quite a considerable amount off the line from corners as well - which is his job in the first place.

clearing things off the line just means someone has fecked up, and i'd say a lot of the crosses coming in that create corners etc for these clearances are because he is consistently standing off his man letting them pump balls into the box.

great for the bench

and as 2bias said those stats mean little in the grand scheme of things

So you're not giving him any credit for clearing 7 balls off the line. That's 7 saves Tim Krul should have made, and Simpsons covered for him.

None what so ever? Seriously? We can argue all day about how good or bad of a defender he is, but you've got to hold your hands up and say thanks.

He's a canny player tbh, I've never rated him very highly but he's better than a lot of starting right backs in the prem tbh. Aye he's not a top 6 right back but no one thought we had a shot at the top 6 in the summer, he's on £9k a week and has played 3 full seasons for us. If we get a left back like this Pieters in and move Santon to right back (and he stays fit) then I'd still love Simpson to stay as he's far better back up than someone like R. Taylor.

Seems to be an awful lot of faith in the defending abilities of Santon.

Ive certainly thought he looked canny going forward but are people really saying in his brief performances so far that his defending skills are that much better than Simpsons?

And if so, how come Pardew doesnt seem to agree?

Seems to be an awful lot of faith in the defending abilities of Santon.

Ive certainly thought he looked canny going forward but are people really saying in his brief performances so far that his defending skills are that much better than Simpsons?

I worry about his positioning, as he gets caught out of position alot and Jonas covers for him. Like I said in another thread I've also heard a rumour that he doesn't like it here.

Rafael, Smalling, Jones, Richards, Zabaleta, Sagna, Johnson, Walker, Ivanovic...

Only 1 of them plays for a club outside the current top 5 and I don't particularly rate Glen Johnsons defensive abilities too highly either. It's a weird one he's not that good but there really aren't many in the league that are much better than him.

Rafael, Smalling, Jones, Richards, Zabaleta, Sagna, Johnson, Walker, Ivanovic...

Only 1 of them plays for a club outside the current top 5 and I don't particularly rate Glen Johnsons defensive abilities too highly either. It's a weird one he's not that good but there really aren't many in the league that are much better than him.

Agree with you there. I wouldn't put johnson as a better right back tbh, hes a good attacker but a shocking defender

Newcastle iron man Simpson on going on and on and on

Danny Simpson is eloquently reeling off the reasons why he believes his Newcastle side have stormed up the league this season.

The list is thorough, and includes manager Alan Pardew, detailed tactical preparations, deadly strikers, new players settling in quickly and squad spirit which, he reveals, has no room for negativity.

There are few better people to ask about the amazing feats being performed on Tyneside than Simpson.

He is the club’s only ever-present this season, starting all 36 games.

Out of 1,340 minutes of battle, he has missed just 63 - having been substituted three times.

“I am proud of that,” he says. “To be at a massive club and to have played week in week out in the league and cup gives me a lot of pride and confidence.

"It is an achievement so far, but I want to get to the end of the season and say I did it right through. I have to keep performing.”

Simpson has experienced personal lows, like being forced to close his Twitter account by online abuse he received after last month's loss to Arsenal.

He took a throw in high up the pitch in the fourth minute of injury time, the Gunners won the ball back and went on to grab the winner.

“I am off it at the moment," confirmed Simpson. "It was hurting and that was why I came off it. Especially the Arsenal game.

"You should have seen the dressing room - it was like we had lost a cup final. I was sick. Gutted. Then you get on the coach, you have a long journey back and you turn the phone on and you sit there reading all that stuff.

"It hurts.

“We are only human at the end of the day. You just do your best.

"I read some of the stuff and thought, 'I have had enough.

"I have had some positives from it, and I enjoyed interacting with the fans but there was no point in putting myself through that. I was already down and that made it worst.

"I think I will have it again one day, but with seven big games to go I am staying away.”

There have also been highs, like leading the Premier League in goal-line clearances in the Premier League this season - including the one against Liverpool last Sunday that he raises an eyebrow and says hit him on the shoulder!

Simpson, speaking at the EA SPORTS FIFA Street Pro Player Challenge said: “It is now eight, er, including that one of my shoulder at the weekend!

"It is all down to a chat I had with [Toon keeper] Tim Krul early in the season. He told me if I got the chance, cover the back post and he would cover the near post.

"I have been in the right place at the right time. It is a nice thing for a defender to do. We don’t get to score much, so a goal-line clearance is the closest we come. It is best when there is only a goal in it.”

Simpson, with his effervescent enthusiasm, epitomises the spirit of Pardew’s Newcastle, where positivity and a drive to get the best out of their talent is winning through.

“At the start of the season, we knew some big players were going to leave like Jose Enrique and Joey Barton," added Simpson. "But we finished 12th last season and we all said that was the first target - to improve and beat that and get top 10. Anything else was a bonus.”

The 25-year-old former Manchester United starlet's upbeat assessment comes with one note of caution.

“We are not finished this season yet," he said, "but we can say that there are a few key ingredients that have come together to get us this far...

“The manager is so thorough and so tactical and his staff have been great.

"We have a defensive meeting, and we have a team meeting to talks tactics.

"He gives us all the information. They must watch loads of videos before games to give us the bite-size stuff that we need. We have a different game plan every week depending on who we play.

"We listen to him, believe in him, and trust him.”

Then Simpson mentions the Geordies' strikers.

Demba Ba has netted 16, and Papiss Cisse seven in just seven starts since since january arrival from Germany's Freiburg.

“It is great to know, as a defender, that if we do our job and stop the opposition scoring then if we do get a chance and it falls to them they’ll score," he said. "First it was Demba on a great run, now it is Papiss.

"Sometimes with striker you think, 'Oh, he might miss', but not with these two.

“Our new signing have settled quickly too, and that is crucial.

"Take Cisse. He has come in February and started scoring immediately. People say it can take months, even a season, to get used to this league, but our new signings have hit the ground running. They’ve been really good value for the club.

"It is a credit to the people behind the scenes, like the scouts.

“The spirit from our promotion season has continued, too. I can honestly say no one has any problems with anyone. There is never any negative vibes - even if someone wants to play but is on the bench.

"For instance, Hatem Ben Arfa has been frustrated this season, but he has took his time and has really kicked us on.”

Simpson and Newcastle are taking nothing for granted and have to complete the job.

He concluded: “I just hope we are in the Europa League.

"We can also look back at where the club was two three years ago and know that would be a massive achievement for everyone who has been involved, staff, players, the owners.

"We were at a low then and we can now finish on quite a high.”

Simon Bird

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Newcastle-exclusive-Danny-Simpson-interview-on-being-only-Newcastle-ever-present-this-season-Pardew-Cisse-brilliant-team-spirit-and-more-article886977.html

I think we should keep him and have him and Santon competing for the right back spot.

I'd also say that he deserves a new contract. He's got his problems, but he's committed and has a good injury record. For what we paid for him he's been great value.

Edited by OTF

He's not good enough to demand a worthwhile fee imo, but he's good enough to be in the squad.

He's not as bad as many make him out to be, but right back is a position we need to strengthen next season.

Simpson is a good squad player. I think one position we will look at is RB in the summer. Cabaye reckons we should get his mate Debuchy, haven't seen him play but has played internationally.