Newcastle v Liverpool

Gene_Clark

• Replies 840
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With Collo playing we would have won. It's going to be very hard with our ravaged defence.

Yeh I think Williamson/Perch will be a problem, no matter who it's against. Liverpool always turn up at SJP anyway so it's going to be tough.

We've got a poor record against Liverpool at home, in the Premiership I can only think of Man Utd who we've done worse against. Our record here since 93 against them W7 D4 L6 - not good enough imo, and I'm worried badly about Coloccini now. Supposing Simpson or say even the shit Williamson gets injured seriously WHAT do we do then? Anyway I have so little faith in them I'd try Tiote at centre half. 2-2 draw I think sadly.

This is where the regime is still underperforming - we were desperate for a centre half in January.

You could say the same about our not getting a striker in the summer and you'd be right. I'd rather have Cisse now than Maiga then for about the same price though. Provided we get a top one in the summer I would agree with their decision to lose a few points between now and then. Rather than upping their bid on Mariappa who seemed more like something they settled for when other opportunities dried up.

At the same time it could be at the cost of European competition, effectively wasting a season?

We really needed the back up for the second half of the season, even if to act as a motivator for Williamson.

True enough. Its looking like Europa league is pretty much out of our hands already though, with 7th pretty much guaranteed. I think we could even challenge a little better for CL had we spent the 12m Zenit did on Samba or whatever. But next january you can probably say the exact same thing.

Well I'm not suggesting we should have spent £12 on a centre back but perhaps spending some actual money, £500k or whatever on an extra man couldn't hurt or break the bank and spend £1.5m on Marriappa or whatever.

Pardew told Ashley that we'd get 6th with Cisse. Maybe they were happy with that, and didnt want to push too hard for a European place, maybe assuming that we wouldnt get into Europe by finishing outside the top 5? Wouldnt surprise me.

At the same time it could be at the cost of European competition, effectively wasting a season?

We really needed the back up for the second half of the season, even if to act as a motivator for Williamson.

I wouldn't see not getting europe as a wasted season tbh, second year up from the championship just to be around this level in the league we are is quite a shift

unless we get 5th it all comes down to luck of other teams anyway now

I think when we've spent most of the season between 4th & 7th it would be a massive shame not to get europe - especially as we were touted as candidates in January - surely that would have clicked?

the 6 year drought.

Nightmare

It probably came across a bit arrogant AH, I accept that, but there's more to it than just winning a trophy. It's a good thing for the future all round. The fans are happy, the club has a feel good factor, and the team gain experience of winning trophies, hopefully encouraging them to up their game and work for more. 6 years could mean most of your team have no idea what it's like to play in a final, win a trophy, or work their arse off to be picked for the big game. I know it doesn't seem to have had a positive effect in the short term but I think that's more to do with them giving up on the league and thinking they can save their energy for the FA Cup, but it doesn't work like that, they have to learn that you give 100% every game no matter what's at stake. It's the only way to be a winner. Long term it can only be beneficial when the new season comes round and they've already had a taste of winning medals, so know what they're missing if they don't get there.

I think when we've spent most of the season between 4th & 7th it would be a massive shame not to get europe - especially as we were touted as candidates in January - surely that would have clicked?

I know, and obviously I'd love to see us playing in europe again

under the proper circumstances though only two of those spots actually get any European football I wouldn't feel like it was a massive shame tbh, apparently target (from the board) was 8th this season which would now be a massive disappointment since we'd have to go on a huge shit run to do that but europes a bonus at this stage to me

or, Im just talking it down to avoid being too disappointed if we dont get it/surprised and delighted if we do :razz:

thats true

I'd worry about the depth of the squad though be surprised to see us do alright in europe and the league without a massive turnaround in style from the board

Try coming up with a chant about that.

to 'Over the Wall' tune

If Cisse Scores twice

and Suarez fuck all

then Cisse will ma-atch

the buck toothed racists League haul

Well I'm not suggesting we should have spent £12 on a centre back but perhaps spending some actual money, £500k or whatever on an extra man couldn't hurt or break the bank and spend £1.5m on Marriappa or whatever.

Aye - I think we had several centre backs on our radar, but couldn't tie up the final details.

We have developed a reputation as a club that doesn't pay over the odds for a player - in transfer fees or wages. We also seem to be signing players who not only seem like decent blokes but seem to want to come to us. The days of convincing Albert Luque to sign for us by doubling the wage offer (after he openly admitted he wasn't really arsed about coming here) are thankfully over.

I too would have loved another centre back - but it has to be a decent one. Which decent centre back would have signed for us, knowing full well that when Steven Taylor returns, they'll be sat on the bench with Williamson? Buying an unproven youngster can backfire massively, as we end up giving them too much responsibility too soon.

As for Samba - the fee might have been £12m, but the wages are more than triple what our highest earner at the club is on. It was a non starter as soon as we have a mega rich outfit like Anzhi Makhachkala (is that how you spell it?) involved.

Edited by BigWalrus