mackem messageboard gold

Gene_Clark

Hardly surprising, Grayson has been an absolute disaster. I do think they had started playing better though, so it remains to be seen what any subsequent manager can do with them. Surely if they're still in this position in January, Short will have to put some more money in. He can't have them go down twice.

42 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

Hardly surprising, Grayson has been an absolute disaster. I do think they had started playing better though, so it remains to be seen what any subsequent manager can do with them. Surely if they're still in this position in January, Short will have to put some more money in. He can't have them go down twice.

Maybe but has he had enough and will he think it's just throwing more good money after bad? It's difficult to see who they'd get other than total mercenaries and even then you're on about Championship-level mercenaries because nee fucker's going to drop down a division / take a pay cut to go there and they can't afford to pay PL wages (plus the premium it would require to get anyone to even think about going there). It's fucking delicious either way.

Incidentally (and I'm not making this up) a lad at work wants Sewper Kev (understandably tbf) and thinks a good run could see them make the play-offs

4 hours ago, Alex said:

Maybe but has he had enough and will he think it's just throwing more good money after bad? It's difficult to see who they'd get other than total mercenaries and even then you're on about Championship-level mercenaries because nee fucker's going to drop down a division / take a pay cut to go there and they can't afford to pay PL wages (plus the premium it would require to get anyone to even think about going there). It's fucking delicious either way.

Incidentally (and I'm not making this up) a lad at work wants Sewper Kev (understandably tbf) and thinks a good run could see them make the play-offs

They can't even do that. That's why they only spent £1m or so. Anymore and they go over the FFP as they've maxed out their three year limit. The football league or a bit more strict when it gets broken, it will be a points reduction even if Short wanted to put more money in which it doesn't look like he does. Lose/lose.

27 minutes ago, Howmanheyman said:

They can't even do that. That's why they only spent £1m or so. Anymore and they go over the FFP as they've maxed out their three year limit. The football league or a bit more strict when it gets broken, it will be a points reduction even if Short wanted to put more money in which it doesn't look like he does. Lose/lose.

Win/win ;)

But yeah, I hadn't thought of that. Diddums

4 minutes ago, rogerbarton said:

Would absolutely love to see them bring in Ally McCoist like :D Think SoopaKev might actually be as good as it could get for them.

Meanwhile this lays bare the rotten nature of the club: https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2017/nov/01/are-sunderland-unmanageable-club

What do you reckon is funnier? The article or the pic of Louise?

Agreed. Think he'd get the fans going in large numbers at first at least and that might help them to a couple of home wins. With the bottom of the league being so tight that could see them climb a few places and get a bit of confidence etc. I think whatever happens they're in a relegation fight until the end of the season but something like that could make all the difference.

Grayson was always up against it after offloading 15 players in the summer and signing 10 for a collective £1.25m

the championship equivalent of only spending £5m on your main striker

15 minutes ago, ewerk said:

It's not like he's Shearer though. The players won't give a fuck how many goals he scored for the club nearly twenty years ago. 

If he could turn the fans around that might be enough though.  Get them knuckle draggers on board and they may be able to get the players playing for them.  As it is, the place is so miserable they would most likely turn on any manager who they don't love from having a history there, as soon as they lose a game or two.  Which they inevitably will.  And they don't have the choice of bringing in a quality manager because none would touch them with a barge pole. 

2 minutes ago, David Kelly said:

If he could turn the fans around that might be enough though.  Get them knuckle draggers on board and they may be able to get the players playing for them.  As it is, the place is so miserable they would most likely turn on any manager who they don't love from having a history there, as soon as they lose a game or two.  Which they inevitably will.  And they don't have the choice of bringing in a quality manager because none would touch them with a barge pole. 

That was my thinking really, not saying he could work miracles (or even definitely turn it around to the extent they stay up) but it's probably the best chance they've got.

Just now, Alex said:

That was my thinking really, not saying he could work miracles (or even definitely turn it around to the extent they stay up) but it's probably the best chance they've got.

I noticed Don Goodman saying they've tried it all with managers from Fat Sam to Poyet and the Nazi so the only thing they have left that they haven't tried was bring in a manager from a lower division.  How he managed to not realise that Poyet and Di Canio came from lower division clubs is beyond me like but perfectly in keeping with the intelligence of your average Sunderland fan.

31 minutes ago, David Kelly said:

I noticed Don Goodman saying they've tried it all with managers from Fat Sam to Poyet and the Nazi so the only thing they have left that they haven't tried was bring in a manager from a lower division.  How he managed to not realise that Poyet and Di Canio came from lower division clubs is beyond me like but perfectly in keeping with the intelligence of your average Sunderland fan.

:lol: Aye, the only thing they haven't tried is something they've recently tried twice.