mackem messageboard gold

Gene_Clark

I remember reading one of their programmes about '89 at Roker Park and one of their programme features was an 'ask a fan' piece. They obviously had the same questions each week for a die hard 'rokerman' to answer, (no black cats or mackem patter from them then), and of course one of the few taxing questions was 'how do you celebrate beating Newcastle?' At the time I thought it was odd as they'd never beaten us for ten year plus it was a bit of an odd thing to put in a football programme. Anyway, this particular Roker fan answered that he'd go into Newcastle and buy a video of it as there'd be none left in Sunderland. Truly riveting stuff.

“Is it correct leadership from the top?” queried Sunderland’s seventh manager in five years, who takes his team to Tottenham Hotspur on Sunday. “Has correct direction been given? Most managers have come here on the back foot. They’re not coming in here smiling, on top of it, really positive because they have nearly always been trying to put out the bush fires, to stop things getting worse all the time. I can see that.”

“Is it correct leadership from the top?” queried Sunderland’s seventh manager in five years, who takes his team to Tottenham Hotspur on Sunday. “Has correct direction been given? Most managers have come here on the back foot. They’re not coming in here smiling, on top of it, really positive because they have nearly always been trying to put out the bush fires, to stop things getting worse all the time. I can see that.”

That sounds like a guy already looking at making sure his exit plan is in place.  He can reuse the statements Advocaat used last October when he left and cited the lack of spending and player quality as the driving force behind.

"I did not think I was the right person and manager to work like that any longer.  So, I quit and I did not want a penny from the club. I have never taken money from a club after resigning or quitting.   Sunderland as a club, with all the fans, was fantastic. What I have experienced with the fans is something I will never forget.  But I saw other things at the club that were not right.  That’s why I informed the owner in the midweek before my last match that there was no way I was going to stay as manager.  When you are working seven days a week, putting so much energy into the team, you want something positive in return. That just didn’t happen.”

:lol: Is that a real quote? I can't tell if he's trying to give the players a kick up the arse to try and prove him wrong or if the severity of the situation has dawned on him.

Can you give players a kick up the arse these days? Half of them don't give a fuck, especially for teams like Sunderland.

Can you give players a kick up the arse these days? Half of them don't give a fuck, especially for teams like Sunderland.

I think you can, like. As bad as some of them are, I bet there's part of them that still wants to maintain some kind of professional pride in themselves. For the other ones, maybe not but damaging their ego might be a good place to start. 

I think it can work short term but generally I think players get sick of it after a while and just stop playing altogether, waiting for a new manager.

Aye, if they don't respect their coach, they're not going to listen but not sure that's a new phenomenon really. I certainly wouldn't listen to David Moyes, mind and I'm shite.

I just think for the kick up the arse to work it has to be under specific circumstances - last few games of the season of whatever.

If Moyes told half these players he was going to shift them for being lazy they'd be over the moon to leave Sunderland.

He didn't wake up one morning to find himself under contract as the makem manager.He won nowt at Everton and looked clueless at Man Utd and Sociedad.He's got 1 point out 12 and blaming everyone but himself.When he leaves within 18 months he'll find it very difficult to get another Premier League manager's job,and it will be down to him being a total failure as a manager.His pals in the press ( Fat ginger drink driving Brazil,Fat Sam,McLeish) are going to find it hard to defend his record.The makems will soon be looking for another messiah.

Having read the last few pages of the thread on rtg, all I can say is that some of the carry on about it on there is beyond shameful. What an absolute bunch of whining children they are.

Edited by Rayvin

If everyone was held to that standard, none of us would have jobs...

The mackems need to stfu on this one. And in general.

We ARE talking about RTG posters here...

So they've protested / got themselves more worked up about a Sunderland Echo reporters football allegiance than when they discovered their CEO had lied about what the club knew regarding Johnson and his sex abuse case.   

Edited by MiddleAgeCool