mackem messageboard gold

Gene_Clark

I put the us/Chelsea double on thinking am easy victory against big eyes would coin me some easy cash. Then i looked and realised I'd accidentally selected Chelsea v Pardiola this weekend! You just know the horrendous cunt will have one of his spawn gqmew. Long overdue

No chance they'll let him go mid-season.

They're flat broke, if Defoe is tempted could they resist a daft (£10m bid)?

More chance of Pickford going to Liverpool for megabucks, to be honest.

Of course they'll turn it down if it means losing tens of millions in PL money next season.

I know (and I'm mostly playing Devil's advocate), but Short should surely see that investing >£20m of his own money would save him 5 times that come May, but he won't do it. £10m for Defoe, £15m for Kone and £25m for Pickford might be £50m of players worth "losing" if it can be reinvested for survival, or used to pay down the debt in anticipation of relegation.

It does seem unlikely but then again Short was quite happy to sell off a number of their 'key' players for buttons over the summer and then fail to adequately replace them. £10m for Defoe would be an amazing deal for a 35 year old and Short may well conclude that they can reinvest that.

Ultimately I think ewerk has the right of it, but Sunderland are a fantastically unpredictable club in this respect.

It does seem unlikely but then again Short was quite happy to sell off a number of their 'key' players for buttons over the summer and then fail to adequately replace them. £10m for Defoe would be an amazing deal for a 35 year old and Short may well conclude that they can reinvest that.

Ultimately I think ewerk has the right of it, but Sunderland are a fantastically unpredictable club in this respect.

I saw something on RTG that after buying 46 players since 2009, they've only made a profit on something like 3-4.

The thing that amazes me is that they've had this issue for almost a decade, they've had different people in charge of recruitment, but they still buy shit. You'd think it would have been identified as 'something to address' by now.

The thing that amazes me is that they've had this issue for almost a decade, they've had different people in charge of recruitment, but they still buy shit. You'd think it would have been identified as 'something to address' by now.

Even before the debt revelations, the consensus seemed to be that relegation was literally the worst thing that can happen. And despite clubs like West Ham, Southampton, Leicester and us (twice) showing that you can bounce back from relegation and be stronger for the experience, they think that way leads to rack and ruin.

With their financial problems, it might be a big ask to bounce back at the first time of asking, but the club needs an overhaul and they'll never do that if they're too terrified of the drop to risk a new approach. The Championship is more forgiving.

Even before the debt revelations, the consensus seemed to be that relegation was literally the worst thing that can happen. And despite clubs like West Ham, Southampton, Leicester and us (twice) showing that you can bounce back from relegation and be stronger for the experience, they think that way leads to rack and ruin.

With their financial problems, it might be a big ask to bounce back at the first time of asking, but the club needs an overhaul and they'll never do that if they're too terrified of the drop to risk a new approach. The Championship is more forgiving.

Aye I suppose the fact they've pulled off loads of escapes, at least a couple of which were frankly incredible, has preventing them from being forced to make the sort of root and branch changes the club seems to need.

i don't get how they can be so broke when there's never been as much tv money sloshing around 

Pay over the odds in transfer fees and player wages

Almost never make a profit on a player sale

Rarely get televised games

Can't do brilliantly in merchandising as surely it's only the surrounding area that buys the shirts and SIX IN A ROW FTM VHS tapes?

Don't get much in sponsorship because they're not very good and rarely on tv.

actually

here you go

i don't get how they can be so broke when there's never been as much tv money sloshing around 

They have to pay all matchday expenses out of pocket, I'm sure essemmbee has better figures but I believe it's due to the fact they have to give out 46,000 free tickets per game.

Disaster of a club tbh, they pay exorbitant wages compared to other clubs and sign a lot of shite for a fair whack of money before losing them at a loss. Like Fletcher, he cost them 14m and 60-80k a week for 4 years before leaving for nowt, I've little to no doubt players like Borini, Khazri etc were signed for similar, will make similar and will walk off for next to nowt. I'm sure the interest payments on a lot of their debt are assisting to cripple the club, the mackems keep saying most of the debt is to Short but I've got a feeling that's wishful thinking and based off how our debt is structured. 

And still got beat :lol:

They only had 38% possession against rock bottom Swansea.Big Eyes plays for a narrow defeat or a draw whether at home or away then waxes lyrical if they concede a single goal, then blames the officials,then says he isn't going to blame the officials.On rtg they're getting pissed of with the shit he talks.I like listening to him talk shite.

Can't do brilliantly in merchandising as surely it's only the surrounding area that buys the shirts and SIX IN A ROW FTM VHS tapes?

actually

here you go

Least marketable club in the league you reckon?

There's a real argument they might be, teams like Burnley and Bournemouth are seen as plucky underdogs and play some nice football from time to time, Sunderland never get a fucking mention though. 

actually

here you go

Well, that's cheered me up

They only had 38% possession against rock bottom Swansea.Big Eyes plays for a narrow defeat or a draw whether at home or away then waxes lyrical if they concede a single goal, then blames the officials,then says he isn't going to blame the officials.On rtg they're getting pissed of with the shit he talks.I like listening to him talk shite.

Aye Moyes plays for narrow losses against top sides. He played with 7 defenders and the mackems are falling over themselves to act like 2 of them have never really been defenders despite being bought as them, whatever way you slice it a back 5 and 2 DM's is a ridiculously defensive side at home ffs.