mackem messageboard gold

Gene_Clark

2 minutes ago, The Fish said:

We'll see. I expect the mackems to sell anyone who attracts a decent bid, and those young players may well be footballers that Ipswich (or their ilk) fancy taking a punt on them. 

It's too simplistic to say that because Sunderland have been dross, all of their young players are incapable of playing Championship football (or higher). There are too many other factors; the manager, the tactics, the senior players, the pressure, the diet.

I'm of the opinion that they should have to show some ability at some point first before we make excuses for why they aren't showing it. 

8 minutes ago, The Fish said:

We'll see. I expect the mackems to sell anyone who attracts a decent bid, and those young players may well be footballers that Ipswich (or their ilk) fancy taking a punt on them. 

It's too simplistic to say that because Sunderland have been dross, all of their young players are incapable of playing Championship football (or higher). There are too many other factors; the manager, the tactics, the senior players, the pressure, the diet.

You're absolutely correct that they could be good enough for the Championship (or the Champions' League) but for some reason when it comes to Sunderland, you seem to operate from a position of certainty in the positive outcome, in spite of being proven wrong time and again.

Maybe I'm misremembering what you said but I don't think your initial position was "we'll see".  Where is the evidence that these players have what it takes?

7 minutes ago, ewerk said:

Have any of us really seen enough of Sunderland this season to judge?

essemmbee will have seen every minute of their season to date.

8 minutes ago, adios said:

You're absolutely correct that they could be good enough for the Championship (or the Champions' League) but for some reason when it comes to Sunderland, you seem to operate from a position of certainty in the positive outcome, in spite of being proven wrong time and again.

Maybe I'm misremembering what you said but I don't think your initial position was "we'll see".  Where is the evidence that these players have what it takes?

My initial position was that there'd be some interest from Championship clubs. I still think there will be. 

I don't operate from a certainty of a positive outcome, I just don't operate from a position of certainty in the negative outcome. After it looked certain that they'd go down I've read that they're not coming back up (as if we're all suddenly expert on League 1), that they'll sell all their players despite them all being too shit for anyone to be interested in them. 

From the admittedly little I've seen and heard about them, there's one or two of the younger sunderland players who have looked a little better than their league position suggests. Honeyman and Gooch e.g.

If you've seen enough of them to be convinced they'll never amount to anything, then fair enough. I'm not writing them off as footballers just because they've been involved in Sunderland's current plight though.

4 minutes ago, The Fish said:

My initial position was that there'd be some interest from Championship clubs. I still think there will be. 

I don't operate from a certainty of a positive outcome, I just don't operate from a position of certainty in the negative outcome. After it looked certain that they'd go down I've read that they're not coming back up (as if we're all suddenly expert on League 1), that they'll sell all their players despite them all being too shit for anyone to be interested in them. 

From the admittedly little I've seen and heard about them, there's one or two of the younger sunderland players who have looked a little better than their league position suggests. Honeyman and Gooch e.g.

If you've seen enough of them to be convinced they'll never amount to anything, then fair enough. I'm not writing them off as footballers just because they've been involved in Sunderland's current plight though.

Their fans latched onto them desperate for them to be prospects because they're supposedly young, hungry, not part of the rotten core etc. The reality is they're shit and even most of their fans recognise that at this point

1 minute ago, The Fish said:

heard about them

Where have you heard that, I wonder? 

I'm not writing anyone off btw, I haven't a fucking clue, I'm just pointing out that this appears to be the latest in a long line of positive statements that won't come to fruition.

If I was a betting man I'd say they're dogshite simply because of your track record for outlandish predictions wrt this lot. :razz:  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, essembeeofsunderland said:

Nah,just highlights of every game on safc.com.

What are your thoughts on Chimney and McHenry or whoever Fish is banging on about?

1 minute ago, essembeeofsunderland said:

Does everyone not like a good laugh.

I'm struggling to think how you would know. 

29 minutes ago, adios said:

Where have you heard that, I wonder? 

I'm not writing anyone off btw, I haven't a fucking clue, I'm just pointing out that this appears to be the latest in a long line of positive statements that won't come to fruition.

If I was a betting man I'd say they're dogshite simply because of your track record for outlandish predictions wrt this lot. :razz:  

"Outlandish" :lol: 

I'm happy to admit I expected Short to fund recruitment in January in order to stave off relegation and was surprised when he preferred to gamble on the existing players being enough to turn their season around. I don't think that's a particularly outlandish opinion; “billionaire owner will spend some money to avoid a double relegation”. 
Can you list some more of these outlandish predictions I've made? 

I'm just not going to fall into the same trap they did when they predicted Benitez wouldn't join, wouldn't stay, would fail in the 2nd flight, only bought shit, only got promoted because he spent the most, would leave in the summer because he couldn’t spend, only stayed because he spent a fortune, and so on and so forth. They are financially fucked, they are in the 3rd tier of English football again, they are a laughing stock. I don’t need to exaggerate how fucked they are by stating they’ll definitely not come back up, or that none of their young players are good enough for the Championship.

They’re shit but so is League 1, and even though I don’t think they’ll necessarily bounce straight back into the Championship,  I wouldn’t be surprised if they did. Saying that there’ll be some interest in their younger players from a Championship club isn’t outlandish either. Lynden Gooch has 1 goal and 3 assists from 12 starts, George Honeyman has 6 goals and 2 assists. Would you really be staggered if Ipswich or Shef Wed took a punt on them?

Think this is another case of reacting to the poster and not the post.

Edited by The Fish

4 minutes ago, adios said:

What are your thoughts on Chimney and McHenry or whoever Fish is banging on about?

They have  Honeyman and Gooch who run around and can add a spark.I haven't seen much of their current ' starlet' Asoro or whatever his name is.When the transfer window opens this summer,I'm expecting to read on rt g that Real and Barca are preparing £30m bids for Asoro.

2 minutes ago, essembeeofsunderland said:

They have  Honeyman and Gooch who run around and can add a spark.I haven't seen much of their current ' starlet' Asoro or whatever his name is.When the transfer window opens this summer,I'm expecting to read on rt g that Real and Barca are preparing £30m bids for Asoro.

As our resident expert, would you be surprised if a Championship club made a bid for Honeyman and/or Gooch in the summer?

If we had done a poll at the time (hindsight lolz), your opinion that Short was going to stick £30m into the club in the window would have got an overwhelming "outlandish" vote.

And yes, it is fun to take the piss out of you, even more than most. ;)  

14 minutes ago, adios said:

If we had done a poll at the time (hindsight lolz), your opinion that Short was going to stick £30m into the club in the window would have got an overwhelming "outlandish" vote.

And yes, it is fun to take the piss out of you, even more than most. ;)  

Did I say £30m? I thought I was far more conservative than that.

A pal of mine is a Sunderland season ticket holder and he says they’re all shite but they can occasionally rise above that to “not quite shite” A ringing endorsement that I’ll listen to. And more pertinently, he reckons they’ll get fuck all for any of them

• Haha 1

Aye, the fact that everyone knows they’re in an absolutely horrific financial state is one of the biggest issues they will have in selling players. Even if they had decent players people would bid below market for them as Sunderland have to sell, I still think it’s pretty likely they’ll go into administration as well which would take the player sales out of Short and co’s hands.