mackem messageboard gold

Gene_Clark

1 minute ago, Howay said:

Aye, the fact that everyone knows they’re in an absolutely horrific financial state is one of the biggest issues they will have in selling players. Even if they had decent players people would bid below market for them as Sunderland have to sell, I still think it’s pretty likely they’ll go into administration as well which would take the player sales out of Short and co’s hands. 

Still can't believe what they got for Pickford because of their situation but, with the Premier League being what it is, you can sort of understand since he was a highly rated young English talent. All of that goes out the window though when they don't have anyone like that and they're selling players to sides a division or two lower. And when you get relegated you normally have some players that stick out as being a cut above the rest but they don't even seem to have that. I think Watmore, despite being a headless chicken would've probably been a good Championship player for them (and might even have made enough of a difference to keep them up) but at this point you don't even know if his career will ever recover. They seem to be absolutely fucked for the foreseeable future

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Alex said:

Still can't believe what they got for Pickford because of their situation but, with the Premier League being what it is, you can sort of understand since he was a highly rated young English talent. All of that goes out the window though when they don't have anyone like that and they're selling players to sides a division or two lower. And when you get relegated you normally have some players that stick out as being a cut above the rest but they don't even seem to have that. I think Watmore, despite being a headless chicken would've probably been a good Championship player for them (and might even have made enough of a difference to keep them up) but at this point you don't even know if his career will ever recover. They seem to be absolutely fucked for the foreseeable future

The Pickford one shocked me as well, Everton seemed the only interested party and were far too prepared to jump the price to whatever the mackems wanted. Didn’t they bid £30m for Sissoko as well? Seems they were just desperate to spunk that amount on anyone. 

As much as I think Pickford is immensely overrated he at least stood out against the rest of their side, I don’t think any of their current crop really do that so it’s tough to see them as being of a good standard. I agree Watmore is probably potentially a mid to low Championship talent but as you say he’s been off the pitch far too much to show it so it’s a tough ask. 

Without seeing any of SAFCs games this season I’m more than comfortable to write off their whole side as shite. May seem harsh but this is a team that during my lifetime has had probably one player (Defoe) that’s around Yohan Cabaye level of footballer, in contrast Cabaye isn’t even in the top ten best NUFC players I’ve seen, in other words they’re a rabble, have always been a rabble, and I’m more than happy to group them all as being fucking wank. 

Genuinely hope your last sentence is true, their fan base absolutely deserves it imo. 

• Haha 2

Now's the time to hoover up any young talent in the area. Spend a couple of million upgrading our youth coaching set up and the facilities now, and get a decent production line of kids coming through. Lewis Gibson's fee could pay for it. It's surely the most sustainable transfer policy. If Newcastle consistently produced a Lewis Gibson every year or so, that’s a much wiser approach then spending Millions on fees, Hundreds of Thousands on agents and on wages, only for Achraf Lazaar to be a flop. Even if we only sold 2 or 3 kids for £100k each, then the Youth facilities pay for themselves.

• Like 1

It was only when I ready that drivel from Taylor yesterday that I realised that Watmore wasn't actually a product of their academy.  This makes it far more likely that he'll leave in the summer if he's fit enough for anyone to want.  He's not got a great amount of skill but the pace he has(had) would most likely make him a standout player in league one.  

I'd imagine the likes of Gooch and Honeyman will manage to come through this season without their reputation being too badly harmed by the dross around them so they could potentially find teams like the ones Fish mentions willing to take a punt on them.  Clearly the likes of Lens, Karzi, Kone, Borini will all be away.

But there's no way they will get anything like the money they are hoping for for them.  As Alex notes, none of their players are going to be attracting premier league interest so there's no chance of the really big money.  And with everyone knowing the god awful financial position they are in anyone who is interested in their players will be bargain hunting.  This will result in no money to spend again so that even if they might be a draw for players at that level they won't be able to afford them.  I can see them having a team that consists of the players that were so shit no one even wanted who's morale can't be good now and will hardly be improved by being stuck in a team that's not being improved.

I've not seen any of their games this season to I don't really know how bad these players are.  But I don't think you really need to know to predict them struggling next season.  I know how we were after years of Ashley, Pardew, Carver and McClaren.  Had we stuck with the Wally With The Brolly we would have went down and stayed in the Championship for years.  The morale at the club was the lowest I've ever known.  It took a world class manager to change that.  The state of them lot is far worse than we ever were.  Coleman is by far the highest profile manager they could have hoped to get in their situation and he's managed to do fuck all to improve them.  I'm sure they will point to Rafa taking us down but in the last couple of months of the season there was improvement that was clear for all to see culminating in the thrashing of Spurs.  But even away from the results, we clearly took Rafa to heart.  Can the same be said of them with Coleman?  They might talk him up a bit but the proof is in massive numbers of unused pink seats in their ikea stadium.  The apathy from their support means that even those who do keep going to the games will quickly turn on them when things don't go to plan and unless there is a change of ownership for someone very wealthy who can support them with funds for transfers, that black cloud hanging over them is going nowhere.

Fuck knows how bad the standard is in league one.  I suspect it's more than bad enough to keep them comfortably away from the threat of relegation.  But in order to mount any sort of promotion push you need momentum and they have none (certainly not in a forward direction).  Mid table obscurity is where they'll be.

Edited by David Kelly
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, Alex said:

Still can't understand why the fuck Coleman went there and it seemed really odd at the time as well.

Aye, it makes even less sense in hindsight.

He could've sat on that Wales job for years after getting them to a euros semifinal and he was managing the likes of Bale, Ramsey etc there, a far better player than he had at Sunderland.

And he only had to prepare for matches every few months, the rest of the time touring grounds and watching games, odd trip over to Real Madrid or Arsenal or whatever.

I mean...what the fuck was he thinking?

I've become more baffled by his decision as I've written this.

• Haha 3

21 minutes ago, Andrew said:

Aye, it makes even less sense in hindsight.

He could've sat on that Wales job for years after getting them to a euros semifinal and he was managing the likes of Bale, Ramsey etc there, a far better player than he had at Sunderland.

And he only had to prepare for matches every few months, the rest of the time touring grounds and watching games, odd trip over to Real Madrid or Arsenal or whatever.

I mean...what the fuck was he thinking?

I've become more baffled by his decision as I've written this.

:lol: It's baffling even if he thought he'd taken the Welsh side as far as he could and really wanted to get back into the day-to-day routine of club management too though. The main reasons being they were in an awful state on and off the pitch, which was hardly a secret. And there were a number of better jobs that were bound to become available (as has been shown to be the case).

1 hour ago, ewerk said:

We got £1m for Gibson. We'll not be building any training facilities with that.

It was widely reported that we could end up receiving £6m for Lewis Gibson.

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/everton-agree-deal-highly-rated-13372346

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/lewis-gibson-been-absent-newcastle-13372644

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/4111038/everton-transfer-news-lewis-gibson-newcastle-united/

1 hour ago, TheGingerQuiff said:

Did I miss Lewis Gibson becoming a top player or even a top level player or are you talking more shit

You didn't miss it, because I didn't say it. You just Thompered, because that's what you do. 

20 minutes ago, Sonatine said:

Wasn't he on peanuts with the Welsh gig?

Relatively speaking possibly, but thats still likely to be more than most/all of us make for instance, he had it easy as owt there.

As AH has said as well, upper championship and lower PL gigs would likely have been available for him if he'd waited a bit, as it is hes stained his record with them now to the point that he'll be lucky to get away without an absolute trashing

1 minute ago, Andrew said:

Relatively speaking possibly, but thats still likely to be more than most/all of us make for instance, he had it easy as owt there.

As AH has said as well, upper championship and lower PL gigs would likely have been available for him if he'd waited a bit, as it is hes stained his record with them now to the point that he'll be lucky to get away without an absolute trashing

It's Sunderland so he can point at how absolutely awful they were and how little money he spent but it's definitely not done his reputation any good. They were bottom when he joined with one win and they're bottom now with 6 wins all season. He's had about 30 games to turn things around and they're marginally further away from 4th bottom than they were when he arrived.

46 minutes ago, The Fish said:

Could being the operative word. We got £1m up front with the rest in add ons. Which obviously aren’t guaranteed.

43 minutes ago, ewerk said:

Could being the operative word. We got £1m up front with the rest in add ons. Which obviously aren’t guaranteed.

Not guaranteed, but even if we "only" get £1m, that would go some way to paying for the facilities and coaching of young talent from the North East. Talent that we should now be doing our utmost to monopolise. As Southampton did when Portsmouth tumbled down the leagues. 

I appear to be losing a few of you with my posts, perhaps I should make them more comprehensive?

Just now, Ayatollah Hermione said:

Fish, how can we spend £5 million that we haven't got yet? 

Does he have to spell it out for you?

6 minutes ago, Ayatollah Hermione said:

We probably freed up more money by getting Siem De Jong off the books, man :lol:  

Probably spent more signing him and paying his wages than we did on Gibson. Which is the point. 

I can't believe this is even a point of contention, you ornery fucks. :lol: