Steven Taylor

JawD

• Replies 827
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was visiting the wife's family down in Shropshire in the summer and there were some traditional Morris Dancers on when we were visiting one of the local villages. Anyway, they were all blacked up like the black and white minstrels and apparently, so I was told, it was all to do with coal mining. It wasn't just smudges of soot like, it was proper thick caked on black oval faces so you could see why people might still think it was a bit off. :lol:

I was visiting the wife's family down in Shropshire in the summer and there were some traditional Morris Dancers on when we were visiting one of the local villages. Anyway, they were all blacked up like the black and white minstrels and apparently, so I was told, it was all to do with coal mining. It wasn't just smudges of soot like, it was proper thick caked on black oval faces so you could see why people might still think it was a bit off. :lol:

:lol:

I like this bit...

The most common contemporary explanation abandons the historic references to servitude and provides a paradigm shift.

According to this view, Black Pete's dark skin can be attributed to soot gathered during his exploits up and down chimneys, delivering presents. Critics say this fails to justify the presence of Afro wigs and bright red lips, also integral to Black Pete's appearance.

Hair just frizzed up in the snow I suppose...and the red lips are cos it's cold, yes that'll do, cold.

if i say something racist that makes me a racist or at the very least an ex-racist. given that what he posted on twitter was not racist there is no issue.

to suggest that you can make racist actions and not be a racist is not possible. what taylor posted was some considerable way off racism.