The Road To Amsterdam ArenA (UEFA Europa League 2013) - THE END

Aeris

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank Christ you are not our manager then.

I'm serious, I don't believe in wingers in our team anymore. We should just play everything through the middle, or from our backs. Simpson is shite that's why I'd rather see Anita or Jonas, or Santon take his place.

Edited by Aeris

I'm serious, I don't believe in wingers in our team anymore. We should just play everything through the middle, or from our backs. Simpson is shite that's why I'd rather see Anita or Jonas, or Santon take his place.

We arent bloody Barcelona, and even they often stick Pedro out wide. You just cant bomb everything through the middle.

To say that you don't "beleive in wingers in our team anymore" misses the point by a country fuckin mile. We dont have any wingers. Most modern teams get most of their width from their fullbacks, there are few teams with what you might call an orthodox "winger" in their sides in the premier league.We don't have such a player on our books at the moment. We have wide midfield players, who nominally patrol a flank , but with instructions to "tuck in" when defending, making a narrow 3, or in some cases 4, if 2 players are sitting in front of the back 4 in the centre of the park, allowing the full backs to get forward.

Saying we should play "everything down the middle" is daft, and suggesting an alternative "from our backs" is saying we should change to how we currently play. It is actually very fluid and allows for a lot of movement, not that you'd notice some times when we play. Sissoko's runs have added a new dimension to our game of late as well. If it all clicks into place when HBA is fit we may well hand out a real tanking to a team at some point this season.

People are talking about Pards and his full strength team he's been promising us against Anzhi and they are suggesting this:

Elliot

Santon Taylor MYM Haidara

Anita Cabaye

Ben Arfa Sissoko Marveaux

Cisse

With a completely fluid upper midflield.

I like it :D

Edited by Aeris

We've got no excuse not to go for it but I'm sure we will, though Anzhi are a great team & it wont be easy.

No trophy since 1969 but a couple of good league results & a decent draw and who knows?

Alright then lads, didn't want to make my own thread over this but here we go:

Booked a nice last minute trip for the Anzhi (h) and Wigan (a) matches. Know folks over there already but if anyone wants to have a pint with an American Toon supporter and get to know the face behind colinh9 come meet for a pint! PM me if ya like!

With the likes of Levante, Benfica, Spurs, Fenerbahce, Chelsea, Bordeaux ... and Anzhi still left in the comp, a lot will depend on who we are drawn with and who knocks the other big boys out.

But the squad and Pards seem really up for it, so we'll see.

With the likes of Levante, Benfica, Spurs, Fenerbahce, Chelsea, Bordeaux ... and Anzhi still left in the comp, a lot will depend on who we are drawn with and who knocks the other big boys out.

Good sides but we can more than match them on our day. This really is a proper chance here for us! Like you said good to see the boys and Pards up for it, anything is possible at this stage. Gota believe :nufc:

We are on ESPN twice this month so far :))

I think we will hammer them on Thursday myself, they might have a good team on paper but they hardly shone last game.

Unfortunately tho I reckon we won't progress much further afterwards , we don't have enough cover for the cup tied lads and the competition will step up 100% by the time the semis come round.

Its been a good run but tbh, at this stage id rather we forget about the premier league and make.this competition the priority, were safe in th e league and have nothing more to play for. This is a chance to stay in Europe next year.

To be fair, we've already beaten three of those teams this season...! :nufc:

To be fair, we've already beaten three of those teams this season...! :nufc:

Exactly, looking at those sides its really 'anybody's game' as they say. Will ultimately depend on who plays better on the day. Chelsea and Spurs no doubt have the strongest squads but not a massive gulf between them and the rest.

Exactly, looking at those sides its really 'anybody's game' as they say. Will ultimately depend on who plays better on the day. Chelsea and Spurs no doubt have the strongest squads but not a massive gulf between them and the rest.

Hoping they're "concentrating on the league" and field weakened sides for the rest of the competition as I think they're two of the strongest sides left in the Europa League.

Mick Lowes reckons he'd rather face Chelsea or Spurs than any of the other sides cos "better the devil you know, Ando! And Benfica won't be coming to St James' thinking 'we don't have a great record here', but Spurs will!"

:lol:

Mick Lowes reckons he'd rather face Chelsea or Spurs than any of the other sides cos "better the devil you know, Ando! And Benfica won't be coming to St James' thinking 'we don't have a great record here', but Spurs will!"

:lol:

Fucking Hell

Hoping they're "concentrating on the league" and field weakened sides for the rest of the competition as I think they're two of the strongest sides left in the Europa League.

Yup, fingers crossed the battle for CL places will go right down to the wire :)

As for Chelsea, a picture of Sissoko with a Tiote hairstyle and expression on his face deliverd to Cole's inbox should be sufficient to give them some sleepless nights.

Thursday first though!

Edited by aimaad22