Politics

Christmas Tree

Tax credits are inefficient and in certain circumstances a disincentive to work. We have them here in NZ. However they're there for a reason and if they're not replaced by income then already hard up people will suffer disproportionately. I doubt the income will be replaced by companies simply paying people more so a slash and burn approach on its own will just penalise the poor.

I don't know what the tories are doing and I can't be arsed to look it up bit I doubt very much the private sector will do anything to replace the lost money.

I'm not inferring anything. I just copied and pasted the table from HMRC.

As for the principal of making employers to pay a higher wage and stop the welfare subsidising low wages, I think it's sensible.

As to what a family income should be before welfare kicks in, that's open to debate. My situation is 3 kids at home and between me and the wife we take home approx 21 - 22 thousand.

We pay a mortgage, eat etc and get by. Child benefit and tax credits help, but we'd still get by without them. There's probably 1000 more deserving causes where that money would do more good such as poor pensioners or old people who need care at home.

I don't know all your circumstances but you did say you were mortgage free so maybe you have other expenses and it's tougher for you.

I wouldn't for one minute call you a scrounger as this is just money that Government chose to give you. It's obviously going to effect some more than others.

It was just a well meaning idea that just got way out of hand.

You copied and pasted something which isn't what a couple with two kids would get, I filled out their form for just over thirty grand and they currently pay 17 pound a week. I'll screen shot it later for you when I get in.

You and your lass manage fine with 21k and three kids? What happened to your tenants/landlord income? Sell up? Invest in something else?

Well there is more unclaimed benefits than benefits obtained by fraud. (Obviously not including tax avoiding fraud which dwarfs the benefit fraud but is obviously a lower priority for some reason?)

It was the poor that created the financial crisis after all. It's only fair they're punished. We don't want to be seen as anti business by going after tax dodging corporates

ONS just released a load of stats on the living wage. 6 million UK jobs don't pay the living wage.

% of jobs that pay less

28% Northumberland

27% South Tyneside

26% Durham

24% Sunderland

23% Newcastle

20% Gateshead

20% North Tyneside

The south east of England, London and Scotland had the lowest proportion of jobs paid below the Living Wage – all at 19%

http://visual.ons.gov.uk/how-many-jobs-are-paid-less-than-the-living-wage-in-your-area/

It was the poor that created the financial crisis after all. It's only fair they're punished. We don't want to be seen as anti business by going after tax dodging corporates

They don't need to tax dodge any more, the corporation tax rate is so low.

Facebook paid £4,237 corporation tax in the UK last year.

It means Facebook's UK corporation tax bill was less than the tax the average UK employee paid on their salary.

The average UK salary is £26,500 on which employees pay a total of £5,392.80 in income tax and national insurance contributions.

:jesuswept:

The most productive workers in the world are the Germans. They're well trained, well paid, work standard hours and have excellent benefits. Should we aspire as a country to be like them? Well according to our friends, no - we should aspire to be low paid in dangerous environments, with no rights and work ludicrous hours under a communist regime. The party for workers my arse.

It means Facebook's UK corporation tax bill was less than the tax the average UK employee paid on their salary.

The average UK salary is £26,500 on which employees pay a total of £5,392.80 in income tax and national insurance contributions.

:jesuswept:

So Facebook paid less tax than most of their employees? :lol:

As a self employed sub contractor in my last tax year I think I paid around 8k in corporation tax on a turnover of about 36k :jesuswept:

Good lad, someone's gotta pay for my 50" plasma TV and benidorm hollibobs. :good:

By the way, CT doing really well on his budget, lovely house, new metal detectors, pub nights aplenty, bong parties, Mr Eats from the chronicle tribute act ect. Fair play, Angela Merkel would love his prudence. :good:

If the entire taxi industry declared and paid tax on their actual income then we could wipe out the defecit instantly.

:D

I was thinking about that while I had a piss earlier. Wondered if Uber are the only digital revolution company to pay more tax than the outdated model they're replacing.

I didn't realize a Taxi drivers pay was that shit to be fair.

If CT's talking on here it's a bountiful paradise where there aren't enough cars to pick up all the high paying fares that keep him in weekends off, season tickets and erdinger.

If he's doing his books he has to start work before he clocks off just to break even.

Actually kind of agree with CT on this one - it's fair enough that Corbyn has these positive views on how to bring about a better society, but he needs to take a fucking grip of that party and give it a shake. He needs to be decisive and firm. Granted NuLabour need to stop arsing around, but a display of strength is needed.

Facebook paid £4,237 corporation tax in the UK last year.

You can add the likes of google and starbucks etc to that list. However those are long running structures and will become much more difficult if measures proposed by the OECD are implemented. There will then be less of an incentive for UK companies to dodge tax especially with a low tax rate....although the worst are american companies and the IRS seems to tolerate this for some reason