Politics

Christmas Tree

18 hours ago, ewerk said:

It's going to be really close. The momentum is with Truss, but getting cocky about predictions at this stage is a bit of an 'Everton moment' :wink:

I make it 61 votes are up for grabs - Badenoch's 59 plus the 3 who didn't vote, minus 1 (Tobias Ellwood). 

If it comes down to Truss beating Mordaunt by a single vote there's going to be absolute hell on. 

10 minutes ago, ewerk said:

Hopefully this is asked in the BBC debate because it's an issue that no Tory politician wants to touch seeing as all roads lead back to Brexit.

Yeah, the myth foreigners were taking our jobs is well and truly exposed. But this issue isn't fixable with Brexit and no FOM. Visas aren't the answer to seasonal shortages in agriculture and services. This isn't going away, it's a permanent block to economic growth people like Truss keep banging on about.

• Like 3

On 19/07/2022 at 12:36, Renton said:

Hey, I'm fine. Got a couple of days off work, outside in the garden with the kids, actually cool and breezy here. Massive paddling pool to cool off when needed. Think the happy pills I'm on are actually working now, shame I needed them, but that's 21st century living for you. Going for a sea swim later, and will actually enjoy the warmer than normal sea temperature, there's a plus.

No point in pretending everything is going to be okay with this country or indeed globally though. Because it clearly isn't, to me at least . The main reason for this is we live in a post truth society, where realities are ignored, so we can't react to them. Brexit is just an example of this. Plus the short termism of politics and its ridiculous partisanism. 

Maybe I'm wrong, maybe we will develop technical solutions to climate change in time, or we will adapt to huge areas of the globe becoming inhabitable? Look at our leaders and what do you reckon? 

The only caveat to otherwise full agreement with this that I would have is that it could simply be that in the eye of the storm, all you see is the storm. There is a (not very large) part of me that wonders if Putin might have inadvertently saved the world by forcing us off dependency on Russian gas. That Johnson and Brexit may have long term saved the country by demonstrating why it is so important that we are part of bigger unions of nations. That the cost of living crisis will reveal to us how good we've had it for so long under globalisation.

Maybe these are the lessons we need to be learning, and that the collective bitter pill we all swallow isn't for us, but for those who keep being led down the garden path. And also, voters aside, for governments who keep avoiding tackling the big issues. Who focus on short termism, as you say.

Maybe we might just learn from all of this that we don't have time to indulge witless fantasists like Johnson. The change will come one way or another, but the longer there is no representation politically for the truth, the more violent that change will become IMO. Although equally, the farther we have to fall to get to it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

It was utterly cringeworthy. And as he scurried out of the chamber, his fucking lapdog was in hot pursuit. 

I personally hope Truss loses this afternoon because it'll undoubtedly result in 'Nads' never setting foot near a ministerial role EVER AGAIN!

12 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

Heaven help us, seriously. They could not give less of a fuck about anything north of Watford. It may as well all be Scotland.

It's worse than that - His constituency is Richmond, Nth Yorks, basically next door to Darlington near as makes no difference

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hate doing this but I don't think he thinks Darlington is in Scotland (as he lives partly in North Yorkshire), it was just a usual tory non-sequitor to avoid the point. Unlike most of these cunts, Sunak isn't stupid, he's just a cunt. 

• Like 2

Objectively he's the best candidate out of fucking pile of dross. Continuation of failed austerity policy though, you'd think these cunts would learn that doesn't work for the country and therefore ultimately them. The other two are fucking brain dead though. Truss is the most easily beatable but really Starmer should be able to annihilate any of them. 

21 minutes ago, Meenzer said:

I was going to point out that the phrase is "hit the ground running", but then...

FYHr47bWYAEj9wz?format=jpg

I rather hope her tweet is 100% accurate

30 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

Looking like the G Man nailed it again. 

er, i think you'll find i called the final two before anyone on this thread, Nostradamus 

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Renton said:

Objectively he's the best candidate out of fucking pile of dross. Continuation of failed austerity policy though, you'd think these cunts would learn that doesn't work for the country and therefore ultimately them. The other two are fucking brain dead though. Truss is the most easily beatable but really Starmer should be able to annihilate any of them. 

They are all equally bad in different ways, It's all going to turn to shit whichever of them gets it, just by different routes, so Truss for me, I'll have a little tax cut thank you before it hits the fan rather than not, all going to end up broken beyond repair anyway. She's also thick as fuck so there'll be some gallows hilarity as we crash and burn.

• Haha 2