Politics

Christmas Tree

I don't suppor that tbh. I think "one off" becomes more than once and it's effectively stealing in their eyes. 1% of 1 million is the government coming to your door and taking 10 grand.

Far fairer that tax loopholes are closed,

the ability to "negotiate a settlement with HMRC" if you are a multinational is stopped (e.g. vodafone etc)

companies are charged a sales tax percentage on all sales in this country

non dom only applies if you have a tax treaty and you are actually domiciled in at least that country 

and the less talked about "non resident for tax purposes" should be means tested by exit stamps on passports (or their technical equivalent, ooops we do that, right? border force?) and again have you not just being "non resident for tax purposes in 3 or 4 different countries and simply travelling around every 89th Day between them.
Make corporation tax payable at the same rate for all corporations and not optional by offshoring or offsetting profits to an entity overseas that doesn't exist; whilst filing costs only in the parent company, to "break even".

I could go on, but "one off" taxation of the rich is just encouraging us to pit against each other and leave the 1% alone. The 1% have BILLIONS and pay fuck all, 1 million quid as a business owner in London, isn't actually that much (I know, I know... but it pales in comparison to the likes of Mike Ashely etc)

Edited by scoobos
  • Like 4

41 minutes ago, scoobos said:

I don't suppor that tbh. I think "one off" becomes more than once and it's effectively stealing in their eyes. 1% of 1 million is the government coming to your door and taking 10 grand.

Far fairer that tax loopholes are closed,

the ability to "negotiate a settlement with HMRC" if you are a multinational is stopped (e.g. vodafone etc)

companies are charged a sales tax percentage on all sales in this country

non dom only applies if you have a tax treaty and you are actually domiciled in at least that country 

and the less talked about "non resident for tax purposes" should be means tested by exit stamps on passports (or their technical equivalent, ooops we do that, right? border force?) and again have you not just being "non resident for tax purposes in 3 or 4 different countries and simply travelling around every 89th Day between them.
Make corporation tax payable at the same rate for all corporations and not optional by offshoring or offsetting profits to an entity overseas that doesn't exist; whilst filing costs only in the parent company, to "break even".

I could go on, but "one off" taxation of the rich is just encouraging us to pit against each other and leave the 1% alone. The 1% have BILLIONS and pay fuck all, 1 million quid as a business owner in London, isn't actually that much (I know, I know... but it pales in comparison to the likes of Mike Ashely etc)

What does a household "with more than 1 million" even mean? There are hudreds of thousands of properties worth more than that in London with people living in them who could never afford 10k. Ridiculous 6th form politics bollocks, I much prefer your suggestions. 

• Like 2

I'm particularly interested in your proposal for a sales tax percentage on all sales in this country. Excellent idea, I suggest we levy it at 20% and call in something like value added tax. No, that's too long winded, maybe VAT for short?

;) 

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

48 minutes ago, Renton said:

What does a household "with more than 1 million" even mean? There are hudreds of thousands of properties worth more than that in London with people living in them who could never afford 10k. Ridiculous 6th form politics bollocks, I much prefer your suggestions. 

I saw a similar proposal in 2008 which defined the 1m as non-property based assets and the amount raised would have wiped out the deficit easily. 

Considering it was the poor who actually paid for it I think Osborne waged "6th form" tory class war politics so I see nothing wrong with one-offs to meet true crises - though perhaps I'd agree an individual pay dispute, no matter how justified, doesn't meet that criteria. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Craig said:

Come the revolution, Oakeshott needs to be first against the wall. Vile bitch!

Not a dig at you because we all play into their pathetic hands at times but we honestly need to try and start ignoring cunts like these two. Because their M.O. as much as playing to their base of gammons is getting a reaction. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, ewerk said:

I'm particularly interested in your proposal for a sales tax percentage on all sales in this country. Excellent idea, I suggest we levy it at 20% and call in something like value added tax. No, that's too long winded, maybe VAT for short?

;) 

Amazon and eBay turning blind eye to VAT evasion, say MPs | E-commerce | The Guardian
"

Just over half of all online sales were non-store sales, mainly through marketplaces such as Amazon and eBay. Some overseas sellers now choose to export their goods to the UK and store them in “fulfilment houses” before selling them to UK consumers through online marketplaces.

Tax rules require that all traders based outside the EU who are selling goods online to customers in the UK should charge VAT if their goods are already in the UK at the point of sale. Amazon and eBay say it is the legal responsibility of the sellers who trade on their platforms to determine and declare any VAT that arises from the sale of goods or services.

Tax officials from HMRC also came in for criticism from MPs for not enforcing the rules effectively enough. Prof Rita de la Feria, a tax expert, told the committee that HMRC’s failings were allowing firms to avoid paying their dues.

Jon Thompson, permanent secretary of the HMRC, called for legal changes to make firms such as Amazon liable for paying some of the VAT."

That's what I was remembering. Someone in Cayman was telling me that they just say they are selling from warehouses / factories outside the UK for nearly everything on the marketplace.

Edited by scoobos
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, NJS said:

I saw a similar proposal in 2008 which defined the 1m as non-property based assets and the amount raised would have wiped out the deficit easily. 

Considering it was the poor who actually paid for it I think Osborne waged "6th form" tory class war politics so I see nothing wrong with one-offs to meet true crises - though perhaps I'd agree an individual pay dispute, no matter how justified, doesn't meet that criteria. 

How can a one-off tax affect deficit year on year? And as the mooted tax is only 1%, and national debt was in excess of 1.2 trillion even in 2008, it would hardly touch the sides of this either. It would be unimaginably diffcult to administer and the usual crooks would get around it anyway imo. I'll file it under 6th form wishful thinking thanks. 

28 minutes ago, Alex said:

Not a dig at you because we all play into their pathetic hands at times but we honestly need to try and start ignoring cunts like these two. Because their M.O. as much as playing to their base of gammons is getting a reaction. 

Precisely. 

I see shit lie this quote-tweeted onto my twitter feed (and I'm guilty of doing the same), when that's precisely what the aim of their schtick is. Clicks. Interactions. Engagements. Like that weird spotty tory kid who, when it snowed in December, made some facetious comment about 'global warming'. He knows exactly what he's doing and will be rubbing one out as his notifications go bananas. 

There's seemingly no recourse. I mean Alex Jones tried to wave his stuff off as entertainment, but was rightly financially butt-fucked by the bereaved parents of the Sandy Hook victims. I had hoped that that might have given other professional trolls pause, but nope. 

Genuinely, I get most of my news from here. You all act like a bullshit-filter (except for transfer rumours, I'm looking at you @wykikitoon), so I fret for people like my parents who get their updates from the BBC or, increasingly, facebook.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Renton said:

How can a one-off tax affect deficit year on year? And as the mooted tax is only 1%, and national debt was in excess of 1.2 trillion even in 2008, it would hardly touch the sides of this either. It would be unimaginably diffcult to administer and the usual crooks would get around it anyway imo. I'll file it under 6th form wishful thinking thanks. 

The 100bn deficit Cameron and Osborne targeted with austerity, not the debt - that was notionally a one-off but really was an arbitrary excuse to reduce public services but the point remains - it would have averted the crisis. 

As for a mechanism you'd need to involve uk banks but there arms could certainly be twisted at that time. 

20 hours ago, Renton said:

this is where the idea of a “mansion tax” falls apart. We’d talking about very ordinary terraced houses with 15ft gardens 

1 hour ago, ewerk said:

John Redwood, a Tory MP for 35 years, has finally found the solution to the NHS bed shortage problem. One quick trip to Bensons for Beds should sort it.

Even the Truss administration wouldn’t appoint Redwood as a minister. He’s beyond parody 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dr Gloom said:

this is where the idea of a “mansion tax” falls apart. We’d talking about very ordinary terraced houses with 15ft gardens 

18700 people earn more than £1million a year some of those will earn way more. Doesn’t need to have anything to do with house prices

On 17/12/2022 at 11:37, Kevin Carr's Gloves said:

18700 people earn more than £1million a year some of those will earn way more. Doesn’t need to have anything to do with house prices

If you restricted the proposed tax to that group, which is effectively applying an additional 1% on their total income tax, you would raise £187 million. In the grand scale of things, that is peanuts. You could multiply this 100 fold though if it were taxed on assets, but I can't see a practical or fair way of doing that.