Generic small time football blather thread 2015/16

The Fish

Lee Ryder has banned me on Twitter :lol:

Someone called him bald and he replied calling the lad ugly, saying he shouldn't judge him unless he wants to be judged.

I pointed out that Ryder's baldness wasn't a judgement, it was a factual observation and I'm now blocked. Biggest berk in media

Lee Ryder has banned me on Twitter :lol:

Someone called him bald and he replied calling the lad ugly, saying he shouldn't judge him unless he wants to be judged.

I pointed out that Ryder's baldness wasn't a judgement, it was a factual observation and I'm now blocked. Biggest berk in media

:lol: that should be a badge of honour really.

https://mobile.twitter.com/gallowgateflags

Am I just being a miserable old bastard in saying that I don't think this is, traditionally speaking, appropriate for our club?.... I don't think it's appropriate for English football supporters in general tbh. We're not flag wavers, until someone sells a gazillion of them outside an FA final or something....it's just not us iyam. The only club I can think of that have any tradition of a few flags in the crowd are Liverpool. To me it's more a continental thing, specifically Italian, you always see a fair few flags in the Curva Nord etc being waved around by the ultras. It's not really in our supporting culture and trying to suddenly introduce it smacks of just starting a gimmick or fad, bit like man city and inflatable bananas.

Maybe I'm wrong and it will be a marvellous spectacle, people will do it at appropriate times and they will definitely NOT, in any way shape or form, wave a flag and prevent those sitting behind them from seeing what's happening on the pitch...Just a thought but I remember when Ashley closed the L7 singing section and a large number of folk moved from there to join us in the south east corner, where some persisted in standing throughout the first game v Arsenal, and a fair few others pre Christmas that season. The ill feeling and indeed physical confrontations that caused were, to say the absolute least, regrettable. I wouldn't want to see some over exuberant youngster being threatened with having his flag shoved up his arse by some of our more volatile comrades. We'll see how it goes I suppose but it's not really for me.

Am I just being a miserable old bastard in saying that I don't think this is, traditionally speaking, appropriate for our club?.... I don't think it's appropriate for English football supporters in general tbh. We're not flag wavers, until someone sells a gazillion of them outside an FA final or something....it's just not us iyam. The only club I can think of that have any tradition of a few flags in the crowd are Liverpool. To me it's more a continental thing, specifically Italian, you always see a fair few flags in the Curva Nord etc being waved around by the ultras. It's not really in our supporting culture and trying to suddenly introduce it smacks of just starting a gimmick or fad, bit like man city and inflatable bananas.

Maybe I'm wrong and it will be a marvellous spectacle, people will do it at appropriate times and they will definitely NOT, in any way shape or form, wave a flag and prevent those sitting behind them from seeing what's happening on the pitch...Just a thought but I remember when Ashley closed the L7 singing section and a large number of folk moved from there to join us in the south east corner, where some persisted in standing throughout the first game v Arsenal, and a fair few others pre Christmas that season. The ill feeling and indeed physical confrontations that caused were, to say the absolute least, regrettable. I wouldn't want to see some over exuberant youngster being threatened with having his flag shoved up his arse by some of our more volatile comrades. We'll see how it goes I suppose but it's not really for me.

Could always go back to the football rattle! That going off in your lug would really make you miserable.

All seaters have definitely made it more sedate so I have no problem with a few flags, mainly for the bairns I would hope.

I'm sure I went through a phase in the 70's where it was cool to have your scarf tied round your wrist :lol:

Edited by Christmas Tree

I see your point and I certainly wouldn't fancy being stuck behind a massive flag all game, but I suppose the people behind this care more making noise and creating an atmosphere than I am. I'll shout and chant and all that, but I wouldn't turn my back on the game to coordinate a poznan or anything. All that said I think that, if this works, it could be an impressive and exciting facet to our support. If there's a corner of the ground awash with colour and noise and flags and songs, I'm fully behind it. If there's folk in the corner who don't want to be part of this, the club should make it easier for them to move seats to somewhere more sedate?

• Guest locked this topic