Rafa Benitez

Anorthernsoul

I don't believe that at all, think Ashley might finally be appreciating the cost effectiveness of good football management.

The appointment of Benitez was the first sign of any policy shift for me. Had many an argument with people who went on like the extra spending or the board room shuffle signalled anything, which it clearly didn't. The club always spent what it earned, and always had patsies sitting on the board.

Unfortunately I have no faith that the Benitez appointment can be any more successful than the Keegan one because Ashley's nature is to be two-faced, sneaky, cheap, ruthless and stubborn. So he'll be misleading Benitez with promises that come to nothing and whether we go down or stay up, Benitez won't hang around through many transfer windows as Ashley refuses to include any add-ons to incentivise selling clubs and we end up with 5 goal keepers and no stiker and that sort of thing.

Wish I'd never read that, as it makes a lot of sense......

And therefore will not happen.

The fans are important in his decision imo, if he thinks there's going to be any protesting etc I can't see any slight chance of him staying

Wasn't there plenty of protests going on at Liverpool during his reign?

Dinnar tbh can't remember any. But at Liverpool he was winning the Champions league, next year if he's stays he'll be fighting to win the championship...

If he's going to stay he will want reassurances that he can take the club up first time, control of transfers etc. If the fans are rebelling against Ashley/the board he's not going to be bothered to stay

If he stays, I can see a fair few of the protests piping down for a while, tbh.

There hasn't been any this year to be fair mate, a few against Bournemouth with McClaren but that's about it.

I imagine if we go down though, they'll be some after the Spurs game

Wasn't there plenty of protests going on at Liverpool during his reign?

Didn't they parade through the streets in support of him when they were going through a bad spell?...got roundly condemned for carrying not just supportive banners but an actual framed portrait of the man? :lol:

Edited by PaddockLad

Him staying would stop most if not all of the protests though. Everyone believes he would only stay if he's given promises about control and money. Those are the main problems everyone has with Ashley (other than him generally being a cunt) so if he's doing something to address them, there wouldn't be the need for protest.

Him staying would stop most if not all of the protests though. Everyone believes he would only stay if he's given promises about control and money. Those are the main problems everyone has with Ashley (other than him generally being a cunt) so if he's doing something to address them, there wouldn't be the need for protest.

I mean before now until the end of the season though

There could be some when the inevitable relegation is confirmed. But Rafa will have seen the fans recaction to him before then and I'm sure he's intelligent enough to know that if he stays, that will be enough to placate most fans so he won't have to experience any significant protests.

I'm not confident he will stay if we go down, but I don't think the threat of protests will be a factor in his thinking.

You know from afar I always thought Rafa was aloof and a pompous bloke, probably because I despised the teams he managed. But since he's been with us I find him charming, sincere, and extremely dedicated to his craft.

It's no coincidence that a bit of continuity in the team has improved results.

Two more games to finish the job he started. If only he had been appointed after the Chelsea game.

Yeah definitely need to keep the same back 4 for the last 2 games, hopefully Anita is fit for the next games after coming off at the end