Rafa Benitez

Anorthernsoul

:lol:

"Wha-wha-what the fuck is this shit? Is them me toes you're standing on or what? Ah've fried bigger fish than yee, son. Leave the Ryder craic to the real McCoy, capisce, bonny lad?"

:D Did yee caal me pint a puff?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

In the interview Benitez signalled his frustration at a failure to add to his squad during the January transfer window, indicating he was hoping to strengthen but wasn't given the backing by the club to do so."My decision was very clear, [but] it was not my decision," he said. "I said what I wanted and needed, and what the team needed, and that was it."

What is wrong with giving a manager a budget, letting him spend it as he sees fit and judging him on his results?

There was a 30m profit made in rhe last window. It's Ashley economics one again. You can't expect to progress as a football side if you're turning a profit on player dealings. Rafa clearly felt the squad needed additions and he wasn't backed. Unlike Pardew, he isn't going to do a reek and hang around, licking the owner's hoop if this continues.

A lot now rests on securing promotion. Massive few months ahead for the club. Promotion, even if we crawl over the line, could mean Ashley finally selling up and fucking off after 10 awful years.

Edited by Dr Gloom

I'm trying to decide whether I would rather we didn't get promoted.

Same with me. Naturally, I want us to win the league but I'm not sure I want to go back to being shite in The Premier League. This window has taught us that, if we do get promoted, Ashley will spend the bare minimum to get us 17th spot and secure the TV money. We'll struggle around the bottom for a few seasons, Rafa will leave and we'll get relegated again. It's been a long time since I've enjoyed a season as much as this one.

He's more likely to finally sell up if he we go up though. There's always hope that might finally happen.

We don't want to get stuck in this division for too long - could easily be the next Leeds or Wednesday and spend a decade or more down here.

Same with me. Naturally, I want us to win the league but I'm not sure I want to go back to being shite in The Premier League. This window has taught us that, if we do get promoted, Ashley will spend the bare minimum to get us 17th spot and secure the TV money. We'll struggle around the bottom for a few seasons, Rafa will leave and we'll get relegated again. It's been a long time since I've enjoyed a season as much as this one.

No chance that Rafa will hang around for a few seasons if he isn't happy with the transfer policy.

Unless there's a dramatic change in the summer, he's going anyway. He took on a project which appealed to him, but once you take away his ability to complete the project, then you remove his reason to stick around.

He'll go and Ashley doesn't deserve to own a Premier League club. On that basis, I'd like to see him (Ashley) pay the price for yet another moment of absolute stupidity.

This nonsense about "he can't be thick, look at the money he's made". I watched this cunt live at the commons select committee last year. He's as fucking thick as it gets, as his treatment of Benitez demonstrates.

I just hope that this finally prompts people to stop attending.

the great irony is he's finally stumbled across a world class manager, who despite the owner's reputation, was enthused by the project. absolute lunacy - even by ashley's standards - if benitez has been undermined, as it looks. this is our last chance with a manager like benitez with ashley in charge. i was amazed he joined and stayed on in the first place, to be honest. 

The optimistic stance is that no business was done purely it was a poor window to buy in with vastly inflated transfers but even then Rafa clearly wanted an addition along the lines of Townsend to pretty much guarantee promotion and to give the whole club a boost. You have to suspect Ashley has resorted to 'gamble' (i.e. cunt) mode and that this won't end well (sooner rather than later). In that event, anyone giving him another chance is a fucking moron.

We've been calling this for a while, Ashley being the thick prick that he is. Then that article that circulated a while back (in the mirror was it?) And yet that little positive part of you cant help but think he might finally have learnt a lesson. No chance. This reeks of the KK saga all over again.

We've been calling this for a while, Ashley being the thick prick that he is. Then that article that circulated a while back (in the mirror was it?) And yet that little positive part of you cant help but think he might finally have learnt a lesson. No chance. This reeks of the KK saga all over again.

It was the people, iirc same group so the mirror. Tom had a proper pop at the journo, Neil (?) Moxley. Turns out he might have been onto something after all.

"Hi Mike, it's Lee, we've got Townsend sewn up, just need you to release the funds"

"How much"

"£2m for now, £13m in June"

"£15 mill!  He's sat on their bench since they paid £13m"

"yeah, but the market's shifted"

"More than Townsend has"

"I know, but Rafa wants him, we need to keep him happy"

"ok, what about wages, same deal he had when he was here, yeah?"

"well....erm....no.... he wants £20k a week more than we were paying"

"DO WHAT!!  Is he havin a giraffe? That rat jumped off the sinking ship faster than I could eat a jellied eel! If he wants back in he should have his tail between his legs.  He wants MORE?"

"Well, he only wants what he's getting at his current club"

"well the cheeky cant can stay at his current fackin club can't he!"

*click*

It was the people, iirc same group so the mirror. Tom had a proper pop at the journo, Neil (?) Moxley. Turns out he might have been onto something after all.

It amazed me how little credence people would give his story at the time.  Don't know if they just wanted it to be false or if they had ignored the previous 9 years of Ashley entirely.

It amazed me how little credence people would give his story at the time.  Don't know if they just wanted it to be false or if they had ignored the previous 9 years of Ashley entirely.

Apparently it was because we were panicking after a couple of defeats only in an otherwise great season.