Rafa Benitez

Anorthernsoul

It amazed me how little credence people would give his story at the time.  Don't know if they just wanted it to be false or if they had ignored the previous 9 years of Ashley entirely.

Probably to do with the fact that he was the only one peddling the line and had previously admitted to winding us up.

"Hi Mike, it's Lee, we've got Townsend sewn up, just need you to release the funds"

"How much"

"£2m for now, £13m in June"

"£15 mill! He's sat on their bench since they paid £13m"

"yeah, but the market's shifted"

"More than Townsend has"

"I know, but Rafa wants him, we need to keep him happy"

"ok, what about wages, same deal he had when he was here, yeah?"

"well....erm....no.... he wants £20k a week more than we were paying"

"DO WHAT!! Is he havin a giraffe? That rat jumped off the sinking ship faster than I could eat a jellied eel! If he wants back in he should have his tail between his legs. He wants MORE?"

"Well, he only wants what he's getting at his current club"

"well the cheeky cant can stay at his current fackin club can't he!"

*click*

I can imagine that being exactly how it went :lol:

Edited by Dr Gloom

It amazed me how little credence people would give his story at the time.  Don't know if they just wanted it to be false or if they had ignored the previous 9 years of Ashley entirely.

It reminded me of when KK was on the brink according to the press but we were collectively burying our heads in the sand because we'd sign Colo and Jonas. That's not a dig at anyone; if you haven't got a bit of romantic optimism where the club is concerned it's not worth bothering. Which probably explains why I don't really any more

Its shocking how bad many of our players can be even by Championship standards. And we've known that even when we've done well. You can be sure as hell Benetiz knows it. The shower of shite on display yesterday only gave credence to what Rafa must have been saying about improving the team to the board. Inevitable that he let out some of the frustration last night. Not everyone's a Pardew, ball licking prick sniffing arsehole that he was.

It reminded me of when KK was on the brink according to the press but we were collectively burying our heads in the sand because we'd sign Colo and Jonas. That's not a dig at anyone; if you haven't got a bit of romantic optimism where the club is concerned it's not worth bothering. Which probably explains why I don't really any more

Yeah :(

Even if Ashley manages to support Rafa in the summer you can bet he'll mess it up somehow over the next couple of years. It would take Ashey selling up to kindle some proper optimism in me. This is a mere enjoy it while you can stage.

The Sunday Supplement after the 2-2 at home to Wigan, iirc they were saying that Colo's header saved Hughton's job. Seemed mental at the time, but a few weeks later he was peddled.

The Sunday Supplement after the 2-2 at home to Wigan, iirc they were saying that Colo's header saved Hughton's job. Seemed mental at the time, but a few weeks later he was peddled.

The 'best' thing about that whole carry on was when the club issued that statement claiming it was all bollocks and Hughton's job was safe etc. Like you say, he was gone not long after that.

not that i'd take what she writes as gospel, but louise taylor eckons there are consortiums from qatar and china interested in buying us if we are promoted. 

Excellent, consortiums from abroad are always brilliant owners. Surely if this was true Ashley would be busting a gut to get us promoted.

Surely if this was true Ashley would be busting a gut to get us promoted.

But why would he.

He's made it pretty clear over the years that he values the club as a giant worldwide billboard for his shitty tatt shop.

That won't change once the club is back in the top flight.

He's had plenty of opportunities to sell but never actually does. Bankruptcy or death will be the only way the club gets sold. 

Remember the guy who said these things. We loved him & he equally loved everything about Newcastle United the club, the city & us lot the fans.When he spoke these words he spoke them because he genuinely loved the place.

"Newcastle United need some stability, but you will never get stability when you have Mike Ashley and Derek Llambias running the club,” Keegan said.

"The best day will come when someone buys it from him and runs Newcastle like that club should be run. The club can never go anywhere under Mike Ashley and Derek Llambias.

“When you get the fans saying it is the wrong decision, when you get the players saying it is wrong and the press saying it is wrong, it tells you, unsurprisingly, that the decision is the wrong one.”

Literally every paper running the same story within the last hour, he'll walk in the summer if Ashley fucks him about. Rafa's people have obviously put the word out

And still Fish and the rest of twitter moan on about their negativity as if everything is rosy in the NUFC garden. Defying all evidence.

Apparently was given a £30m in the summer & told he didn't have to sell. Understandably, having actually made £35m profit, he thought there'd be money to spend in Jan.

Something clearly shifted in the mindset of our fucking psychotic owner.

Yup, no smoke without fire. Looks like our worst fears have been realised. Not that it should be a surprise given Ashley's form. Rafa won't hang around, just like Keegan didn't. Back to the likes of Pardew and mcclaren

Yup, no smoke without fire. Looks like our worst fears have been realised. Not that it should be a surprise given Ashley's form. Rafa won't hang around, just like Keegan didn't. Back to the likes of Pardew and mcclaren

Aye, what a fucking joke man. I mean we all pretty much said this about Ashley but could we not have got a couple of years ffs, at the very least wait until we're back in the PL and safe before he starts to fuck about like last time. Instead he has decided to try and burst the wheels early. The bloke is a monumental cunt like and I actually hope to one day read he has lost everything.

Just give Rafa enough money to spend to allow the squad to improve, at least what the club is generating. Sit back and then reap the rewards of a club in the PL that isn't overspending. What is hard about doing that? Instead he decides to penny pinch which has only seen debt increase due to relegations, the thick fucking tosser.

Edited by Howay

Literally every paper running the same story within the last hour, he'll walk in the summer if Ashley fucks him about. Rafa's people have obviously put the word out

Briefing against Ashley to the press may even see him off before then tbh. It looks like Ashley just hasn't even bothered to try to come to some sort of compromise about funds, he's just left it to Charnley and Carr who appear to have just fucked Rafa over. I thought yesterday the relationship may be salvageable but that looks unlikely now.

Edited by PaddockLad

Aye, what a fucking joke man. I mean we all pretty much said this about Ashley but could we not have got a couple of years ffs, at the very least wait until we're back in the PL and safe before he starts to fuck about like last time. Instead he has decided to try and burst the wheels early. The bloke is a monumental cunt like and I actually hope to one day read he has lost everything.

Just give Rafa enough money to spend to allow the squad to improve, at least what the club is generating. Sit back and then reap the rewards of a club in the PL that isn't overspending. What is hard about doing that? Instead he decides to penny pinch which has only seen debt increase due to relegations, the thick fucking tosser.

The second paragraph is spot on.

I don't believe Rafa was only after Townsend so what happened to every other transfer target.To sign nobody suggests Ashley had no intention of giving Rafa a penny spend on transfer fees nor wages on free transfers.

And still Fish and the rest of twitter moan on about their negativity as if everything is rosy in the NUFC garden. Defying all evidence.

Moaning about negativity isn't the same as saying everything is rosy. Also, most of twitter is panicking again, there's relatively few calling for calmer heads to prevail.

Rafa's done this at every club he's managed, it's a power play that gets the fans on side, strengthens his hand in the summer and may well get some better performances from the players.