Vladimir Putin and Russia

Anorthernsoul

5 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

Russia seems to be saying it's the former. That post Tom made the other day referenced a statement that I believe was from the Kremlin outlining how Putin had taken on a 'historic duty' to solve the Ukraine problem once and for all, so that future generations didn't have to. That honestly sounds like a legacy consideration to me.

I don't think fucking over Europe has legs beyond the next 10 years anyway - we'll be increasingly on renewables by that point anyway, based on this. The less dependency we have on them, the less power they have over us. I don't see how cutting us off there helps them longer term.

I always think he must be good at this by now though…(!)

Think of what Johnson/Biden/Macron etc have spent the last 20-30 years doing and then think of what Putin has been doing.

He should be eating them for breakfast tactically.

it seems so unlikely that he’d just charge into this seemingly unprepared

of course it’s possible, just seems odd to me

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Asprilla said:

I always think he must be good at this by now though…(!)

Think of what Johnson/Biden/Macron etc have spent the last 20-30 years doing and then think of what Putin has been doing.

He should be eating them for breakfast tactically.

it seems so unlikely that he’d just charge into this seemingly unprepared

of course it’s possible, just seems odd to me

I see that side tbh but I'm always brought back down to earth a bit on imagining Russian competence when I think about how widespread corruption is there. Corruption breeds incompetence, in the end. And Putin, for all his history, has surrounded himself with inferior men - because, I suspect, it's the only way he holds onto power.

I do think he is playing a game we haven't gotten our heads fully around yet, in terms of misinformation and sowing division in the West... but I also think that was supposed to render us inert at this point. And it hasn't. So I think he's miscalculated and assumed we were entirely broken when we were just in fact wounded. Brexit, Trump, everyone's strong views on these issues... none of that changes the reality that we still all basically agree on freedom and Western liberal democracy.

I actually think he may well have undone a lot of his well poisoning. Not all, but some.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

I see that side tbh but I'm always brought back down to earth a bit on imagining Russian competence when I think about how widespread corruption is there. Corruption breeds incompetence, in the end. And Putin, for all his history, has surrounded himself with inferior men - because, I suspect, it's the only way he holds onto power.

I do think he is playing a game we haven't gotten our heads fully around yet, in terms of misinformation and sowing division in the West... but I also think that was supposed to render us inert at this point. And it hasn't. So I think he's miscalculated and assumed we were entirely broken when we were just in fact wounded. Brexit, Trump, everyone's strong views on these issues... none of that changes the reality that we still all basically agree on freedom and Western liberal democracy.

I actually think he may well have undone a lot of his well poisoning. Not all, but some.

i hope you’re right (and you very well may be)

2 minutes ago, ohhh_yeah said:

He's got that off Hannity.  Hannity has repeatedly suggested flying over in unmarked plans and dropping bombs all over the place and then just not claiming responsibility for it.  These fucking idiots man. 

• Like 1

On 04/03/2022 at 15:40, Tom said:

Ended up with two cars full of donations for Ukrainian refugees. 

People’s generosity has been overwhelming, as has the quality & precision of the donations.

I’m taking it to York St John University tomorrow (of which I am an alumni) as they’re working quite closely with the Ukrainian embassy & associated charities. 

My mate into his guns basically provided a shit ton of shooting gear & boots. That’ll be going straight to the army :lol: 

Ok so me & another lad drove down to York on Saturday to drop off our donations and found that all 5 donation points were full to the brim and couldn’t accept any donations for at least another week. 

If anyone is aware of anywhere local that’s reliable let me know. We have pretty much all of the following -

2AA713CC-9C92-4C86-8CE8-198B3CBE2163.jpeg

1 hour ago, Gemmill said:

He's got that off Hannity.  Hannity has repeatedly suggested flying over in unmarked plans and dropping bombs all over the place and then just not claiming responsibility for it.  These fucking idiots man. 

As if they couldn’t almost instantly identify the planes :lol:

16 minutes ago, Christmas Tree said:

Summary ffs :lol: 

Just read it, you lazy sausage. :lol: The tweet format even makes it easy for you to take a break when your brain gets too tired. :D 

• Haha 2

I’m not sure where all the “good news” is in this.

Its a botched invasion, things are going to go tits up in Russia, the might set off a nuke in Ukraine to scare the West and Putins Big Red button “might” not work.

I can’t see how any of this gets better or goes away unless someone can take Putin out.

To think the World, the fucking WORLD, is hanging by a thread because of some evil deranged 70 year old.

He has to be assassinated. Only viable resolution.

31 minutes ago, Christmas Tree said:

I’m not sure where all the “good news” is in this.

Its a botched invasion, things are going to go tits up in Russia, the might set off a nuke in Ukraine to scare the West and Putins Big Red button “might” not work.

I can’t see how any of this gets better or goes away unless someone can take Putin out.

To think the World, the fucking WORLD, is hanging by a thread because of some evil deranged 70 year old.

He has to be assassinated. Only viable resolution.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assassination_of_Archduke_Franz_Ferdinand

Theres a precedent as to why that might be a bad idea ....

Your occasional reminder of some of the treacherous fuckers who emboldened Putin and facilitated the invasion of Ukraine…Trump was undoubtedly about to pull the US out if NATO if he’d win another term…

• Like 1