Generic small time football blather thread FOREVER

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Today just a year ago I was making the dream of my life come true and I was able to meet you   (Yes... I was the first to enter the stadium)  

Posted Images

Bit of a debate raging in the Guardian comment sections atm - was Rooney a better player than Shearer? Debate is going on along club lines with the only balanced opinions being from outsiders, but in general the consensus is that Rooney was the better player 'all round' but Shearer the better goalscorer.

I remember Shearer being decent in his defensive work towards the end though and I can remember Rooney being completely useless and carried through games at times.

Obviously this has all kicked off because Rooney has just retired.

I think Shearer made the absolute most of his ability (which he had in spades) before injuries caught up with him. I think Rooney was about 80% of the player he might’ve been. I’d take peak Shearer I think. But Rooney had a fantastic career. But he wasn’t great for England after Euro 2004 

Shearer every time for me. He showed his ability as an all rounder footballer with his ability to adapt. 

Contrast that to the many seasons of shite Rooney offered from midfield playing 30 yard passes over the top but offering little function. 

Rooney was a great talent although I feel Ferguson let him down in the end & Rooney let himself down. 

He had the best facilities science could offer but still looked like a lad playing Sunday physically :lol: 

Our current situation implies we have to beat the teams around us .I don’t believe we have enough players who would relish a relegation fight.Take the shambolic first half against the worst team in the league.We couldn’t even look organised defensively with only one up front.Too many players don’t give a toss.I’ve said it before,we concede,neebody looks disappointed,neebody looks angry,neebody bollocks anybody,Brucey’s face goes red,Brucey looks clueless,then we look like we’re only restarting the game because we have to.

A few weeks back I wasn’t overly concerned as even though we were shite we were picking up points, the teams below were really struggling too. The worry was when you’re playing crap football and getting goals from very few chances that you’ll go through a period where you’re not getting those goals, it seems like those goals have dried up and now with Bruce essentially rounding on the players by branding them frigging hopeless, and shite, I can only see the situation getting worse.

Basically we were bad enough when he was seemingly getting some effort out of them, without them on side we’re fucked. If Ashley and Charnley want the club in the PL they need to act decisively imo, we’ve strayed into that period of time similar to when McLaren was pretending he was a football manager where they risk keeping him on long enough to really fuck over the bloke that comes in to clean up the mess. I’ve absolutely no faith in them to remove him though, and expect them to stick with him until it’s way too late. We’re completely reliant on 3 teams being worse than us at this point as we’re a fucking dreadful team with this pudding faced wank in charge. 

Edited by Howay
  • Like 5
2 hours ago, Monkeys Fist said:

Someone please explain. 

I've no idea what the 'sit down Fabian' means as I follow neither wraith nor the lass but wraith has a 'ladies night' on a podcast and she's one of the lasses on it and...... I don't what else to add tbh? :lol:

On 16/01/2021 at 15:38, Rayvin said:

Bit of a debate raging in the Guardian comment sections atm - was Rooney a better player than Shearer? Debate is going on along club lines with the only balanced opinions being from outsiders, but in general the consensus is that Rooney was the better player 'all round' but Shearer the better goalscorer.

I remember Shearer being decent in his defensive work towards the end though and I can remember Rooney being completely useless and carried through games at times.

I got involved in this on the graud, a few said about Rooney that it was funny how quick people forget how good he was. My response to it was: 

"Funny that it's mentioned how quickly people forget when it comes to remembering talent, to say Rooney was better than Shearer "by a fair way" is one of the most ridiculous things I've ever heard. I don't care if as a Newcastle fan I sound biased, Shearer was unreal at times, men against boys stuff."

I mean, some people were suggesting it was an absolute not contest with Rooney far ahead of Shearer. 

On 16/01/2021 at 15:38, Rayvin said:

i think that's a fair assessment. rooney was technically more gifted and capable of scoring some outrageous goals but shearer beats him as an unrelenting goal machine. 

On 16/01/2021 at 15:51, Kid Dynamite said:

I don't get all the pundits saying we are safe from relegation. We are currently 3 points off 17th and are picking up fewer points than the teams below us 

C5D074BF-2669-4938-BBA3-2B2B290732C8.png

there's usually one team that sinks like a stone and gets caught up in it 

25 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

i think that's a fair assessment. rooney was technically more gifted and capable of scoring some outrageous goals but shearer beats him as an unrelenting goal machine. 

Aye, at 33 Shearer was still averaging better than a goal every two matches and was the second highest PL goal scorer that season. At 33 Rooney was was fucking about in the MLS and getting arrested for public intoxication. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, PaddockLad said:

Hasn't there been an outbreak of internecine warfare between all these attention seeking podcast types (Not our Dave though, @The Fish get yourself involved son, good for the numbers :good: )  and the helmet who’s unilaterally taking the premier league to court?  

We're not very good at promoting the pod. One is an actor with a big following and the other is a fairly successful comedy writer, so theoretically, if we wanted to they could push it. None of us can be arsed though, it would feel too much like 'work' when in reality we're just doing it for our own enjoyment.

e.g.  On Monday I got a text asking if any of us wanted to talk to the Sun about going 12pts clear at the top.  Because of asleep-deprived haze I thought it was a text from the Paul that does the podcast so replied "For that soul crushing event? No. For that rag? Also No." 

Didn't realise it was actually from Paul who works for the company that we put it out through... :lol: I'm not very good at this.

1 hour ago, Gman said:

I got involved in this on the graud, a few said about Rooney that it was funny how quick people forget how good he was. My response to it was: 

"Funny that it's mentioned how quickly people forget when it comes to remembering talent, to say Rooney was better than Shearer "by a fair way" is one of the most ridiculous things I've ever heard. I don't care if as a Newcastle fan I sound biased, Shearer was unreal at times, men against boys stuff."

I mean, some people were suggesting it was an absolute not contest with Rooney far ahead of Shearer. 

There's an age thing at work here, I think. 

Also, an inability to value the skill, ability and footballing intelligence it takes to be the League's top goal scorer. I've genuinely heard someone denigrate Shearer by saying "Well, he just scores goals". As if that's the easiest thing in football, instead of the hardest.

• Like 1

And he had, what, 2 career threatening injuries? 

260/441, if he hadn't missed 1/2 seasons in 97/98 and 00/01 he could have added another 20+ goals to that tally. 

Batistuta said this; 

"I know at first hand how fierce the gladiatorial battles are between a striker and defenders. So, to maintain your performance as a top class goalscorer over a long period of time takes phenomenal dedication, self belief and enormous willpower. If you then throw in a number of serious injuries...how many? Three? And for the man to still be producing at the highest level is really an amazing feat. After a match against Juventus I met Alex Del Piero who like myself could only speak in the most glowing of terms about Shearer. He'd terrorised the Juve defenders when the clubs met in Newcastle. They found him one of the most difficult opponents they had ever faced. The coach Marcello Lippi had been purring about Shearer's performance. So much so that his strikers Alex, David (Trezeguet) and Marcelo (Salas) were ordered to take home videos and study Shearer's display."

— Gabriel Batistuta on his admiration of Shearer, February 2003.[55]

• Like 4
22 minutes ago, The Fish said:

There's an age thing at work here, I think. 

Also, an inability to value the skill, ability and footballing intelligence it takes to be the League's top goal scorer. I've genuinely heard someone denigrate Shearer by saying "Well, he just scores goals". As if that's the easiest thing in football, instead of the hardest.

Very true! 

I mean, the bloke could use his head, score insane free-kicks, play with his back to goal, move between the lines, do pretty much anything with a ball... But no, he just scored goals. 

I truly don't think there was a striker with better movement in the Premier League era, although maybe I'm wearing my Toon spectacles. 

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, The Fish said:

And he had, what, 2 career threatening injuries? 

260/441, if he hadn't missed 1/2 seasons in 97/98 and 00/01 he could have added another 20+ goals to that tally. 

Batistuta said this; 

"I know at first hand how fierce the gladiatorial battles are between a striker and defenders. So, to maintain your performance as a top class goalscorer over a long period of time takes phenomenal dedication, self belief and enormous willpower. If you then throw in a number of serious injuries...how many? Three? And for the man to still be producing at the highest level is really an amazing feat. After a match against Juventus I met Alex Del Piero who like myself could only speak in the most glowing of terms about Shearer. He'd terrorised the Juve defenders when the clubs met in Newcastle. They found him one of the most difficult opponents they had ever faced. The coach Marcello Lippi had been purring about Shearer's performance. So much so that his strikers Alex, David (Trezeguet) and Marcelo (Salas) were ordered to take home videos and study Shearer's display."

— Gabriel Batistuta on his admiration of Shearer, February 2003.[55]

I am too tired, when I read "Batistuta said this" I immediately thought "what does a wrestler turned actor know about football?"

• Haha 1