Generic small time football blather thread FOREVER

Sonatine

I don't watch Match of the Day for the highlights, I've seen our game (usually), I've probably watched the highlights on youtube. I watch it because I enjoy hearing people's opinions on football, learning about the other teams' successes and failures, hearing a lovely bit of banter between the pundits. 

Anyone who's watching Match of the Day these days just to see the goals is kind of missing the point. 

It could definitely be improved with a better standard of pundit. I've noticed a slight movement away from "well he gets the balls there and he shoots and that's a goal", talking more about shape and tactics and systems, but they could do more, imo. 

On 01/03/2023 at 18:22, Alex said:

Was the proposed venue under the Halls / Shepherd. Owned by the freemen of the city I think. Residents lobbied to get it block. Dolly Potter and co. 

21nufc4.thumb.jpg.eeea705c5eda147dd0a151187940a980.jpg

• Like 2

22 hours ago, The Fish said:

I don't watch Match of the Day for the highlights, I've seen our game (usually), I've probably watched the highlights on youtube. I watch it because I enjoy hearing people's opinions on football, learning about the other teams' successes and failures, hearing a lovely bit of banter between the pundits. 

Anyone who's watching Match of the Day these days just to see the goals is kind of missing the point. 

It could definitely be improved with a better standard of pundit. I've noticed a slight movement away from "well he gets the balls there and he shoots and that's a goal", talking more about shape and tactics and systems, but they could do more, imo. 

Im not sure 90% of football fans want them to do more tbh. I appreciate there's a new era of football geeks who like to analyse every minute of every game, discuss the merits of trequartista's and claim to be a big fan of that Serbian u18 player no-ones heard of, but most people will just want to see the match highlights before they go to bed 

• Haha 8

I like a bit of analysis (but certainly not too much) but I’m mainly interested in the highlights (and would imagine most people are the same). 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kid Dynamite said:

Im not sure 90% of football fans want them to do more tbh. I appreciate there's a new era of football geeks who like to analyse every minute of every game, discuss the merits of trequartista's and claim to be a big fan of that Serbian u18 player no-ones heard of, but most people will just want to see the match highlights before they go to bed 

:lol: at the not so subtle digs 

Edited by Alex
  • Haha 6

Can't you watch just the highlights on Youtube or the streaming platform of whoever the broadcaster is there? Or is not having on demand highlights available part of the shite TV arrangements in England? 

I like watching the analysis, for a bit of banter if nothing else. Especially when we're doing well and you can see on the faces of some of the pundits they're struggling to cope with it :finger: 

• Haha 2

Saw something on YouTube from whatever country the show is broadcast on but it was Dalglish's daughter, Kelly with Ian Wright with Karen Carney and some foreign lass on discussing the potential top 4 specifically mentioning 3rd to 6th. Kelly asking the questions, Wright and the lasses having their input about all the clubs apart from one club where Kelly just briefly mentions them, Wright says a few things, not all negative but Kelly doesn't feel the need for the lasses input, if they had any, before quickly moving on to discuss the team in 6th where all and sundry are allowed to discuss freely as they did with teams 3rd and 4th. You'd think she got a shit deal from BT alongside her dad in that advert when he was a manager up here? The disrespect at times is off the map. Apart from obviously wanting a CL spot it would be one in the face for the usual suspects. 

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

Sky put the highlights on YouTube but it tends to be the whole game in 3 minutes or so, including goal replays etc. 

Ah that's shite. 

37 minutes ago, Howmanheyman said:

Saw something on YouTube from whatever country the show is broadcast on but it was Dalglish's daughter, Kelly with Ian Wright with Karen Carney and some foreign lass on discussing the potential top 4 specifically mentioning 3rd to 6th. Kelly asking the questions, Wright and the lasses having their input about all the clubs apart from one club where Kelly just briefly mentions them, Wright says a few things, not all negative but Kelly doesn't feel the need for the lasses input, if they had any, before quickly moving on to discuss the team in 6th where all and sundry are allowed to discuss freely as they did with teams 3rd and 4th. You'd think she got a shit deal from BT alongside her dad in that advert when he was a manager up here? The disrespect at times is off the map. Apart from obviously wanting a CL spot it would be one in the face for the usual suspects. 

Think I saw that yesterday. It's a 'Premierleague production' that show so not surprised they shrug us off. Had no idea Kelly was Dalglish's daughter. So that's how she got the gig. Completely unremarkable presenter. Standard rote learned, mechanical comments that would put you to sleep if she went on longer than 5 seconds. 

• Haha 2

Absolutely. And fuck every lazy Tory MP, every right-wing rag and every social media bore who singles out footballers for daring to be young high-earners, when they typically also do huge amounts of community outreach work like this too that makes a massive difference to people, a lot of it without fanfare. Yes, they've got the luxury of having the time and the means to do it, but show me any hedge fund manager who does equivalent good. :dunno: 

• Like 6

21 hours ago, Kid Dynamite said:

Then crack open youtube and watch the highlights?