Jump to content

Newcastle United: Club Sold To PCP - Official


The Mighty Hog
 Share

Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

The stuff in the article about having a minute's silence the next time an LGBT (surely no one is trying to pull off being a T in Saudi btw) person is beheaded. That would be incredible. But it's also literally incredible to imagine a football stadium ANYWHERE doing that. 

 

So to put it on Newcastle and say "well this is what you could be doing".... Sorry, but unfortunately, no. 


Oh absolutely not. I appreciate that people won’t be falling on their swords to expose KSA atrocities on match day but they don’t need to wave Saudi flags either or wear towels on their heads. 
 

We can do fuck all about the takeover, however I feel like I personally have a responsibility to be aware of the issues and be especially aware when I’m being mollycoddled by an expensive PR machine. 
 

I won’t project that on to others, it’s just for my personal mindfulness. That said I doubt I’ll be buying season tickets and shirts either. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

The stuff in the article about having a minute's silence the next time an LGBT (surely no one is trying to pull off being a T in Saudi btw) person is beheaded. That would be incredible. But it's also literally incredible to imagine a football stadium ANYWHERE doing that. 

 

So to put it on Newcastle and say "well this is what you could be doing".... Sorry, but unfortunately, no. 

Agreed, these people are scum there’s no doubt about it and there’s no point excusing any of it as we have no reason to, but I also don’t see it as fair to put it on Newcastle fans that they should be making constant protests like you say. We had zero say in any of this, and as Rayvin said if it wasn’t NUFC it was going to be somewhere else - the same group had made overtures at Manchester United and Liverpool’s owners in the past. The coverage at times gets so absurd that the fan base is going to get prickly and defensive about it, just look to Oliver Holts ridiculous “Eddie Howe is a good appointment” “OMG look at me getting suckered in to sports washing!!! They’re so evil, did I mention the bone saw? and Newcastle fans are theeee wooooooorst” type back to back tweets as an example of it, of course Newcastle fans will want to occasionally talk football without everything constantly having to have 27 disclaimers about the owners, and quite honestly doing it is doing no good imo as it makes the defensive people say more outrageous things and it takes the impact of the awful things these people do away if it’s just constantly repeated. 
 

I think the opinion pieces are often the best place for this discussion, the Holts and Delaneys that just throw in some quip about the Saudis being bad and a dig at Newcastle fans onto any random breaking news tweet about Newcastle are to me almost as ridiculous as the fans who put Saudi flags in their profile and try to defend/belittle what the new owners do. 
 

We could protest constantly but it does fucking no difference, this is the way football has gone. This is the same game that essentially supported Qatar when they were trying to cover up that a French player living there had essentially been imprisoned due to a conflict with the club and his family had to flee back to France, the game that has sought to come down like a ton of bricks on Norway when there was a hint of possible boycott of the 2022 World Cup. If people truly want to kick this type of investment out of football that’s fine with me but making pariahs of Newcastle fans for wanting a drink out of the same trough swathes of football have been guzzling from is a bit rich imo. I know it’s impossible to support but if there was some mass boycott by Newcastle fans, what do these journalists that are so desperate to attack us over this think would happen? What would the PL do? My guess is they’d not show much support for the protests for long (if at all). 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Howay said:

I know it’s impossible to support but if there was some mass boycott by Newcastle fans, what do these journalists that are so desperate to attack us over this think would happen? What would the PL do? My guess is they’d not show much support for the protests for long (if at all). 

PL would probably hope the Saudis would get fed up with Newcastle fans, sell up and buy Liverpool instead. 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I kind of hope it holds a mirror up to the rest of them as well tbh - this didn't happen in a vacuum, it happened because the road towards undesirable owners had already been well worn. Maybe they're all a bit further down that road than they'd like to admit, if Saudi Arabia is coming in just after them.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Rayvin said:

I kind of hope it holds a mirror up to the rest of them as well tbh - this didn't happen in a vacuum, it happened because the road towards undesirable owners had already been well worn. Maybe they're all a bit further down that road than they'd like to admit, if Saudi Arabia is coming in just after them.

Spot on, we’d let the UAE and Qatar become massive players in the world game how long did they realistically think Saudi Arabia would sit on the sidelines? I do find it interesting that any time the UAE or Qatar involvement is raised in these arguments many leap to try and twist on about how they’re different rather than try and have some actual discussion about how fucked the game has become. The Saudis are an end point to these type of owners, they’re the worst but it’s very hard to draw a line in the sand against this type of thing. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I could genuinely be headed for divorce number 2 here. When I met the wife, as far as she was concerned, I just wasn't interested in football at all. That was who I was. She's got away with only having to sit through major international tournaments, and suddenly she's having her Saturday evenings ruined watching pathetic draws with Brighton. I might make her sit through that Adam kid's YouTube video tonight, just for my own entertainment. 

 

But yeah, watch this space for divorce news. 

  • Haha 8
Link to comment
Share on other sites

read that truefaith article by hird a week or so ago and thought at the time, fair play to you mate, if you want to be the moral conscience of the football world, fill your boots.

ive decided the role's not for me though and actually resent anybody who thinks it should be. yes the saudi's human rights record is atrocious and i doff my hat to anybody whose been active in trying to change them for years. not to those though that have only very recently jumped on the bandwagon, they can fuck off to be honest as i doubt the majority of thems sincerity. i've no doubt they'll donning their stone island kit and chanting ingurland to a pubs tv screen in a years time at an event they should in theory be protesting we boycott.

i also have very little time for those who mock the whataboutery line, because like it or not, some of it is very valid. it's only just over a decade since the worlds biggest sporting event was held in china, whose human rights record makes the saudis look like cuddly kittens in comparison. yet i have little recollection of the outrage for that coming even close to what we've seen directed at us this last month.

i hope the saudis involvement here can hasten some change in their country, in the meantime i want to enjoy us hopefully becoming something other than the non sporting zombie club we've been for the last 14 years.

oh and i wont be wearing a tea towel whilst doing so, they're the wifes and im not even sure where she keeps them.

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, thebrokendoll said:

read that truefaith article by hird a week or so ago and thought at the time, fair play to you mate, if you want to be the moral conscience of the football world, fill your boots.

ive decided the role's not for me though and actually resent anybody who thinks it should be. yes the saudi's human rights record is atrocious and i doff my hat to anybody whose been active in trying to change them for years. not to those though that have only very recently jumped on the bandwagon, they can fuck off to be honest as i doubt the majority of thems sincerity. i've no doubt they'll donning their stone island kit and chanting ingurland to a pubs tv screen in a years time at an event they should in theory be protesting we boycott.

i also have very little time for those who mock the whataboutery line, because like it or not, some of it is very valid. it's only just over a decade since the worlds biggest sporting event was held in china, whose human rights record makes the saudis look like cuddly kittens in comparison. yet i have little recollection of the outrage for that coming even close to what we've seen directed at us this last month.

i hope the saudis involvement here can hasten some change in their country, in the meantime i want to enjoy us hopefully becoming something other than the non sporting zombie club we've been for the last 14 years.

oh and i wont be wearing a tea towel whilst doing so, they're the wifes and im not even sure where she keeps them.

Does it? I mean... they're both horrific. I wouldn't say China's atrocities make Saudi Arabia look better.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, The Fish said:

Does it? I mean... they're both horrific. I wouldn't say China's atrocities make Saudi Arabia look better.

 

i didnt say they make the saudis look better, only that china is worse.

i think amnesty has ksa at executing around 200 a year and declining. hardly very good.

china hides its figures for those put to the firing squad but it's widely believed it runs annually into the thousands.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

I have no idea who you are 

 

I’m a random nobody on a message board thing.

Much like you.

Is that ok hun or do I need a certain level of posts/likes before I can communicate with high rankers like you?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.