Film/moving picture show you most recently watched

Jimbo

Just caught up with a couple of recent FilmFour offerings I'd stuck on the TiVo.

Deep End (1970)

Starring Jane Asher (in her even-I-would years) as a bath house attendant who tempts and torments an underage co-worker, this apparently recently remastered piece has been described as "emo before emo", and I can see the reasoning. Equal parts surreal fantasy and thoroughly grounded portrayal of post-Woodstock-era London in all its grubbiness and squalour, it's full of melodramatic overacting aplenty, not least from the boy in question (John Moulder-Brown), but once you get used to it (and/or see it as part of the fantastical nature of the piece), he actually portrays the teenage male condition perfectly - sometimes a bundle of restless, coltish energy, sometimes standoffish, moody and seemingly passive towards his impending fate, always gangly and awkward. What struck me most was the colours - the lurid green of the tiles, the grey of the late-60s/early-70s England outside the bath house bubble, the garish Soho lights - but the story itself is shaded just as vividly, right down to the vaguely unsatisfying but perhaps inevitable conclusion. Surreal, stagey, but an intriguing period piece all the same.

Le Quattro Volte (2010)

Criticwank of the highest order (Kermode et al), so I approached with caution, aided by a TV guide description that read "An aging Italian shepherd drinks church dust to stave off death". Fascinating, no? Well, bells and coughing aside, that's pretty accurate as far as the first act goes, the only real excitement being the gradual realisation that we're looking at drama rather than documentary, since it's not immediately clear. Oh, and the sheep are actually goats (and they're undeniably the stars of the show). After said first act it's... well, even more goats, and long and lingering shots of locals and traditional customs and everyday life progressing at a glacial pace. The landscapes look almost prehistoric at times, or at the very least like something out of Jackson's Middle Earth; the sun never seems to shine, though the grass begs for it. And of course nothing actually happens (except, of course, for everything). While that everything/nothing paradox plays out on screen, thoughts inevitably meander - I didn't know what I made of "Deep End" when "Le Quattro Volte" began; by the end, I did - but maybe it's good to stimulate different parts of the brain at the same time, because the space created by simply being "forced" to watch rural life happen at its own speed for 90 minutes turns out to be a thoroughly refreshing place to be.

Wankathon over. I think I'll record "Paul Blart: Mall Cop" next, to redress the balance.

The Dark Knight Rises. The last 45 minutes of this was as good as an action film gets, but why the fuck it took 2 hours to get to it is beyond me. There's just no need for an action film to be this long. Same goes for the previous film. Both overrated imo, far too self-indulgent.

Don't get us wrong, I'm not saying they aren't good, but the way they get fawned over is OTT.

The Dark Knight Rises. The last 45 minutes of this was as good as an action film gets, but why the fuck it took 2 hours to get to it is beyond me. There's just no need for an action film to be this long. Same goes for the previous film. Both overrated imo, far too self-indulgent.

Don't get us wrong, I'm not saying they aren't good, but the way they get fawned over is OTT.

Previous film got the "Star dies" boost. This film suffered by having to establish a nemesis in 1 film, where I believe the original plan was to have the 3rd film be the Trial of the Joker.

That's not a good enough excuse for it lasting that long though. Most films have to establish an entire cast of characters from scratch and they do it in a lot less time.

Yeah but when you've invested in the protagonist for the 1st two movies, he's totally established in his current form. Imagine the original Star Wars movies with a new bad guy in the 3rd film, instead of the Emperor? Or a Back to the Future without Biff? I think the length also has a lot to do with the storyline choice. If they'd been planning to use Bane/Talia as the plot I've no doubt they would have been introduced to the audience earlier. Talia, certainly. Instead we've a version of the Dark Knight Returns storyline. They've got to establish a Gotham that's been without Batman, a Bruce Wayne that hasn't been Batman for years, an antagonist the audience isn't familiar with (to be honest I'd be surprised if many of the audience had heard of either of Bane or Talia, where as the Riddler, Penguin and Joker are almost household characters) and tie up a trilogy.

I agree it was long, but I'm not sure how much of that was due to circumstance.

Eventually saw TDKR other week and tend to agree it felt a bit drawn out .

Couldn't take Bane's voice seriously like - bluray rip has clearly an overdubbed voice . What was meant to have happened to him in prison btw ? Did he have his lips pulled off or summat ?

I just don't have the attention span unless it's a REALLY, REALLY good film.

I have seen quite a few good films where you still end up thinking they are dragging it out a bit.

90 minutes is perfect for most films, I stand by that :lol:

The Master

Weird film. Not as good as I was hoping for. The storyline was weak and there wasn't much fluidity between scenes. Left the cinema thinking 'what actually happened in that film?' Very hard to describe. That said, acting from all involved was phenomenal, and the film had a couple of brilliant scenes. Directing was great as you'd expect from him. Just think the editing of the film left a lot to be desired. It felt like the storyline didn't know what it wanted to do - did it want to expose scientology/the cause for being a exploitative charlatan-run organisation that preys on the vulnerable? Or did it want to tell the story of Phoenix's character as the sexually frustrated loner with psychotic tendencies? In the end, it didn't really do either to a satisfactory extent. Was left a little unfulfilled - something you shouldn't feel after 2 hours 30 mins in the cinema.

6/10 (I think, haven't wholly made my mind up on lots of the film)

Two films over the weekend:

Super 8 - started well and a decent premise but became too much of an "misunderstood alien that just wants to get home" cliche - the kids were okay though.

Prometheus - I think others have said it was disappointing - too many convenient plot devices and annoying little asides ruining what could have been a good story if it had been given a bit more depth. I understand that they can't give answers as they want a series of films but at least some would have been a start.

Edited by NJS