Film/moving picture show you most recently watched

Jimbo

Gammora.

Italian naturalism mixed with very gritty Mafia stuff. Beautifully made with a wandering eye for filmic poetry in working class Naples.

Get on it film boys.

Would be quite keen on seeing this myself if I were somehow able to get a copy.

Gammora.

Italian naturalism mixed with very gritty Mafia stuff. Beautifully made with a wandering eye for filmic poetry in working class Naples.

Get on it film boys.

LoveFilm have it. It's on my list.

Gammora.

Get on it film boys.

LoveFilm have it. It's on my list.

And mine, since I signed up the other day. lovefim.co.uk/independent and you get a month's free membership and a free foreign film.

Slumdog Millionaire.

I watched it last night. I thought it started off a tad confusing and was all over the place, then once it started to assemble some form of a plot I was actually really enjoying it, just thought the cinematography, editing and the soundtrack suited really well, as it was poorly acted. Then the last 30 minutes happened which were absolutely shambolic, you realised what was coming, and by the end of it I was just wanted it to finish.

Watched Choke tonight. Kinda disappointed. Liked the book quite a lot, movie was either unfocused or a lot ended up on the cutting room floor.

Still had some extremely funny parts, but not quite as good as I would've liked. Sam Rockwell did a good job.

Watched Choke tonight. Kinda disappointed. Liked the book quite a lot, movie was either unfocused or a lot ended up on the cutting room floor.

Still had some extremely funny parts, but not quite as good as I would've liked. Sam Rockwell did a good job.

I thought the exact same thing. Sam Rockwell was great, but only with the material he was given to work with. If I hadn't read the book a whole lot of the movie probably wouldn't have made sense as I found myself thinking back to the book to bridge the gaps. Some of the jokes were only half there as well meaning that they fell flat in the movie, Denny's rock obsession seemed tacked on in the movie for example. I'd love to know how much of the movie was cut out for a shorter running time.

Changeling - 8.5/10. Better than any of the films that were up for best picture this year and much better than Slumdog. I can only think the Academy must have just thought they can't give Eastwood another best picture but it would have been well earned. Nearly 2 & 1/2 hours long but it never drags and it looks fantastic. With this and Gran Torino, Eastwood is showing he's at the very top of his game.

I thought the exact same thing. Sam Rockwell was great, but only with the material he was given to work with. If I hadn't read the book a whole lot of the movie probably wouldn't have made sense as I found myself thinking back to the book to bridge the gaps. Some of the jokes were only half there as well meaning that they fell flat in the movie, Denny's rock obsession seemed tacked on in the movie for example. I'd love to know how much of the movie was cut out for a shorter running time.

Word.

Here's the thing- Chuck's books are sorta confusing to begin with- Narrator = Tyler, etc. To further complicate a rather, nontraditional shall-we-say storyline with the piss-poor editing of this film is a recipe for lameness.

I really feel bad for the people involved. Choke as a film had a ton of potential because the novel has a bunch of interesting stuff- at least as interesting as Fight Club, but it's just a very uneven movie. It feels very rushed. The editing especially, but even some of the scenes seem a little flat and probably could've used a couple of re-shoots. Kelly MacDonald especially I felt was pretty, well, boring and ultimately wasted.

I really hope the production team/ director/ etc. has nothing to do with the rumored Survivor movie. That's my favorite Chuck book- here's hoping these same people don't fuck it up (no idea if they're involved or not).

Man on Wire

really good documentary about the french guy that wire-walked between the twin towers in 1974...... :lol: ....guy is a bit of a nutt-bar

Man on Wire

really good documentary about the french guy that wire-walked between the twin towers in 1974...... :lol: ....guy is a bit of a nutt-bar

I felt sorry for his girlfriend. Sticks with him all the way through his nutty plan. So what does he do ... goes and fucks another girl as soon as he can!

But really ... yep, it's a great documentary.

The Duelists 6/10. Ridley Scott's first film and usurprisingly it looks very good but the story and characters were pretty thin.

Donkey Punch 6.5/10. Pretty predicatble stuff (you can tell who's going to do what and how it will all end up pretty quickly) but along the way it manages to avoid a lot of the usual cliches. The lad with the lip like Joaquin Phoenix is a bit annoying though.

jaws_shot6l.jpg

Bit dated for some, but when you havent watched it for a while its a good old story, especially after after a few sherberts. Favoutite scene the scar telling stories.

"This shark, swallow you whole. Little shakin', little tenderizin', an' down you go"

I actually think it's a brilliant film - the suspense racked up by virtue that you don't see the shark itself until halfway through. The shark POV camera work is awesome.

And when you realise it was done like that as a contingency rather than planned, it's all the better.

Transporter 3 - What another pile of soulless rubbish. Again having all those foreign actors speak perfect English with such heavy accents just makes it all sound so ridiculous and contrived. So many scenes are like the Taxi movies, I guess it's Besson's international go at making Taxi. Terrible, terrible and empty franchise.

The Lion King - Thought it was supposed to be a tear jerker. His dead dad didn't even give me a lump in my throat. Enjoyed it. The only other classic Disney I've seen is Aladdin, and I reckon it's better than that.

Happy Gilmore - Pretty high laugh quotient. About as sophisticated as Dude Where's My Car? but some genuinely laugh out loud moments.

Edited by Happy Face

jaws_shot6l.jpg

Bit dated for some, but when you havent watched it for a while its a good old story, especially after after a few sherberts. Favoutite scene the scar telling stories.

"This shark, swallow you whole. Little shakin', little tenderizin', an' down you go"

I actually think it's a brilliant film - the suspense racked up by virtue that you don't see the shark itself until halfway through. The shark POV camera work is awesome.

And when you realise it was done like that as a contingency rather than planned, it's all the better.

It's a fantastic film. The second one is quality as well actually.

The Wrestler

I thought Rourke gave an absolutely fantastic performance. The thing with it was you couldn't just relate to his performance from a wrestling perspective. If it was any other 'sport' you can relate to any athele who is past their prime, is washed up, but is still clinging onto past glories and living with the hope that he can still be that person he once was. A very chilling and real performance. The film itself looked very cheaply shot mind, but then again you could say this added to the grit and realism of it all.