Film/moving picture show you most recently watched

Jimbo

jaws_shot6l.jpg

Bit dated for some, but when you havent watched it for a while its a good old story, especially after after a few sherberts. Favoutite scene the scar telling stories.

"This shark, swallow you whole. Little shakin', little tenderizin', an' down you go"

I actually think it's a brilliant film - the suspense racked up by virtue that you don't see the shark itself until halfway through. The shark POV camera work is awesome.

And when you realise it was done like that as a contingency rather than planned, it's all the better.

It's a fantastic film. The second one is quality as well actually.

Second one's OK apart from that fucking screaming bitch who I just wish they'd get sick to death of and chuck her in the shark's gums for some peace and quiet.

The 3rd and 4th ones however... :icon_lol:

Finally got round to seeing Slumdog Millanaire. Brought back a lot of memories from my time in India, although I have to say that Mumbai is even more of a shithole than it looked on TV. I think I may have suffered from all the hype though. So glad it triumphed over Benjamin GIVE ME AN OSCAR GIVE ME AN OSCAR GIVE ME AN OSCAR Button.

Preferred Sunrise though, Danny Boyle is really making a name for himself now.

watched "be cool" the other day, got a few dvds off a mate and I was pleasantly surprised with it, some good tongue in cheek humour and poking fun at the music business

Rachel Getting Married - 4/10. Can honestly say that if I ever had to spend more than five minutes with any of the characters in that film, I'd be done for grevious bodily harm. I watched to the end because Anne Hathaway put in a very good performance and I was on a long flight with nothing better to do, but it really was painful.

And today I read somewhere that he's got the next James Bond Gig

And it was all looking so promising...why he would want to get involved in that abomination of a franchise is beyond me. Got an email read out on Kermode's podcast yesterday, literally the proudest moment of my life.

The Wrestler

I thought Rourke gave an absolutely fantastic performance. The thing with it was you couldn't just relate to his performance from a wrestling perspective. If it was any other 'sport' you can relate to any athele who is past their prime, is washed up, but is still clinging onto past glories and living with the hope that he can still be that person he once was. A very chilling and real performance. The film itself looked very cheaply shot mind, but then again you could say this added to the grit and realism of it all.

I think it's a bit different in the sense that he can't tear away from living this fantasy lifestyle; in wrestling land, he's essentially God and has been playing Randy The Ram so long that he can't adjust to being plain old Randy in a convenience store. I think it's less wanting to be his old self and more trying to cope with the fact that real life isn't as insular, blinkered and self-involved as the wrestling industry.

Speaking or Kermode and Bond, been looking around on youtube at his reviews. This one of Quantom of Solace is great!

Sums it up so well in my opinion, complete with the Daniel Craig love and all!

I'm keeping the faith for the next Bond, it could be great. Craig has it in him, just hope the next story won't let him down as much.

Bolt - 8/10 Very much in the same vein as Toy Story (ie Odd Couple, heroes quest, one unaware of the truth about their life) but what it doesn't have in originallity it makes up for in action and comedy. Thoroughly enjoyed it.

Before Sunrise - 7/10 Nice little romance.

Porco Rosso - 7/10 Not up there with the best Ghibli I've seen but fun all the same.

Halloween (remake) - 3/10. I didn't expect to be impressed, seeing as I love the original and thought this was completely unnecessary...and I wasn't. It was very gory but at no point did it make me tense or scared in any way (very similar to Zombie's previous films, in fact).

In Bruges - considering I hate the little Irishman it was very watchable.

Aye, I think he's shit but I enjoyed that film.

Leatherheads 5/10 Clooney trying to do a Carry Grant screwball comedy but not really succeeding. Watchable but that's about it.

Omega Man 6/10 Preferred I am Legend as it seemed to make more sense than Zombies having a leader who thinks he's a new Christ.

Watchmen

0/10

Are you a fan of the comic who is disapointed with the adaptation or do you just think it's a bad film? From your other coments about violent films this doesn't sound like something that would appeal to you.

She's the Man

Viola Hastings is a high school Soccer player who learns that the girls' team at her school, Cornwall, is being cut. After her request to join the boys' team is refused, she finds a way to play for Cornwall's rival, Illyria.

Viola's twin brother Sebastian, whom she resembles physically, is supposed to enter Illyria as a new student. However, he plans to visit London secretly to enter a contest with his rock band. Sebastian asks Viola to cover for him by telling the school that he is sick and each of their parents (who are divorced) that he is staying with the other.

Viola instead decides to pass herself off as Sebastian and join the boys' soccer team at Illyria. She hopes to beat the Cornwall team and humiliate her sexist goalie ex-boyfriend Justin. With the help of her friends Paul, Kia, and Yvonne, Viola becomes "Sebastian".

At Illyria, Viola's roommate is Duke Orsino, a good-looking striker on the soccer team. Kia and Yvonne agree to help Viola make her alter ego seem popular by pretending to be in love with "Sebastian". Viola also publicly breaks up with the real Sebastian's girlfriend, Monique. Duke and his friends are impressed, but Viola's soccer skills are still not good enough to make first string. It looks like Viola may not be able to play in the game against Cornwall after all.

After spending so much time with him, Viola realizes that she has fallen in love with Duke. However, Duke is only interested in Viola's lab partner, Olivia. In exchange for Viola's help in getting Olivia's attention, Duke agrees to put in extra soccer practice time with her. The practice pays off when Coach Dinklage (Vinnie Jones) promotes Viola to first string.

By this time, Olivia has developed a crush on "Sebastian". Since "Sebastian" isn't interested in her, Olivia decides to go out with Duke to make him jealous. Meanwhile, Monique and Malcolm Feste (who has a crush on Olivia and is jealous of Viola as Sebastian) find out Viola's secret identity.

The plot is complicated when the real Sebastian returns from London early. When he arrives at Illyria, Olivia runs up and kisses him. Duke sees this and thinks his roommate has betrayed him. He kicks Viola out of their room.

On the day of the big game, Monique and Malcolm reveal the truth about Viola to Principal Gold. But because Viola has overslept, the real Sebastian winds up on the field playing in what should be his sister's spot. Principal Gold stops the game, determined on revealing the truth, but Sebastian proves that he really is a boy by pulling down his shorts and exposing his penis (offscreen). At half time, Viola explains the situation to Sebastian and they switch places again.

Duke is still angry with "Sebastian" and refuses to pass the ball to Viola. She tries to explain that she really is a girl, finally convincing Duke and everyone else by showing them her breasts (again, offscreen). The coach agrees to let Viola keep playing anyway. Illyria wins the game on a penalty kick when Viola scores a goal by tricking her ex-boyfriend Justin.

Everyone at Illyria rejoices after the victory, except for Duke who is hurt at Viola's deception. She invites Duke to her debutante ball by sending her brother with a package of cheese and a note asking him to come. She is waiting for him in a garden, when she mistakes a man that needs to turn on sprinklers for Duke, because he's in the shadows. Then, Duke ends up coming from behind Viola. Then they head to the Debutante ball, where they are introduced, come on stage, and kiss, earning wolf whistles and surprise. Near the end of the film, it shows Viola with Duke playing on the soccer team of Illyria as a first string.

Utter horse shit!

It does sound utter shit to be fair but I suppose most films about football are.

David Cross is in it mind so those bits are class, obviously.

He has publicly declared his intense dislike of bands like Creed, Evanescence, P.O.D., and Staind—once saying in his act, "I would rather hear the death rattle of my only child than listen to that fuckin' shit"

:baby:

Watchmen

0/10

Are you a fan of the comic who is disapointed with the adaptation or do you just think it's a bad film? From your other coments about violent films this doesn't sound like something that would appeal to you.

I've never read the comic.

Violence aside - this film would still be a zero. Easily one of the worst I've ever seen.