Film/moving picture show you most recently watched

Jimbo

ARIJON_Gonzalo_2007_Stranded_poster.jpg

Makes Touching the Void and 128 Hours look like a pair of pussies. Survivors talk about the 2 and a half months eating the flesh and bones (for calcium) of their fellow (dead) crash victims, and the escape they had to make themselves when their working radio confirmed no-one was looking for them any more. Incredible stuff. I only vaguely remember seeeing the Ethan Hawke dramatic version when it came out.

The book,( Alive byPiers Paul Reed) is well worth a read.

Dear Zachary: a letter to a son about his father.

Fucking hell, probably the saddest documentary I've ever watched. Well worth a look.

Is that the one with the ex-criminal drug addict artist looking for his estranged son? I missed the end of it.

Nah it's about a bloke who gets murdered by his ex girlfriend, who then announces she's pregnant with his kid. It's then about how badly the Canadian justice system fucks up, and the grandparents fight for the kid.

Nowhere Boy

John Lennon gets all teenage about his mam and aunt Mimi. Wasn't expecting much and wasn't surprised.

The Thief of Bahgdad

Laughable. Woeful effects and borderline racist. It won the oscar for effects at the time though. Full colour with flying carpets/horses, giant spiders (with strings) and 60ft genies and that. Considering it was made in 1940, the same year as The Great Dictator and Rebecca, you have to say it was a generation ahead of its time. Proper Sunday afternoon when it's pouring down outside stuff....which is how I watched it.

The Help

Another story of black folk through the prism of whitey.

Ida E. Jones, the national director of the Association of Black Women Historians, released an open statement criticizing "The Help" in An Open Statement to the Fans of The Help. The letter stated that "[d]espite efforts to market the book and the film as a progressive story of triumph over racial injustice, The Help distorts, ignores, and trivializes the experiences of black domestic workers." The group of scholars accused both the book and the film of insensitive portrayals of African-American vernacular, a nearly uniform depiction of black men as cruel or absent, and a failure to acknowledge the sexual harassment that many black women endured in their white employers’ homes. Jones concluded by saying that "The Association of Black Women Historians finds it unacceptable for either this book or this film to strip black women’s lives of historical accuracy for the sake of entertainment."

Roxane Gay of literary web magazine The Rumpus articulated reasons the film might be offensive to African Americans, mentioning the film's use of racial Hollywood stereotypes like the
and
's

That's just the namby pamby lefties moaning as they/we do though. The worst thing about it is it's not very good. Not for a bloke anyway.

Ghost Writer

What a crock of utter shite.

Terrible hollywood british accents, ridiculously far-fetched and totally unbelievable storyline and a nothing ending that served to make the entire debacle of a thriller completely and utterly pointless.

Ghost Writer

Terrible hollywood british accents, ridiculously far-fetched and totally unbelievable storyline and a nothing ending that served to make the entire debacle of a thriller completely and utterly pointless.

Taped it off channel 4 last night. Looking forward to it. Got good reviews at the time.

Thought it was based on reality? Tony B and that.

Ghost Writer

Taped it off channel 4 last night. Looking forward to it. Got good reviews at the time.

Thought it was based on reality? Tony B and that.

The war crime premise was fine by me, but the acting was terrible. I usually love Ewen McGregor's films but he can't do a cockney accent to save his life.

His antic in the film are too unbelievable and just didn't buy into how his character would get that involved in it all.

I recently acquired Being John Malkovich - would much rather have watched that instead.

War Horse

I was hoping for a film about a horse that gets fitted with a load of Bond style upgrades and goes into battle with the vile hun, personally winning battles left right and centre. The first hour is actually about a horse who may or may not plough a field (seriously), the remaining hour and a half is like 3 episodes of The Littlest Hobo set in WW1 all mashed together.

Tripe.

I recently acquired Being John Malkovich - would much rather have watched that instead.

Class film!

After my latest trip to Blockbuster:

Fright Night: Seen the original a couple of times as a kid, but can't remember ever remembering it. I imagine it won't take long for me to forget this either, as nothing really happens. Still, not the worst rental ever.

Drive: Modern day Clint-style man-of-few-words-lonesome-hero type flick. Big difference is that during Gosling's silences there is no build up of tension, nor anticipation of what is to come from him. When he did speak, I just didn't give a fuck. There are no memorable scenes, no memorable dialogue and I felt very underwhelmed after all the critical acclaim. That said it's not the worst film ever or anything, it's OK.

Hostel 3: Turned this off after about 10 minutes. The credits were actually still going. Absolute dog shit.

Hangover 2: Turned this off after about 20 minutes. While the original was quite funny, it was nowhere near funny enough to be funny twice.

I've said for a number of years that Formula 1 is shit [and I've been right about this], but I watched the Senna documentary and it was absolutely class. So if anyone has been putting it off cos they're not into motor racing [you've been right about that], get it watched.

I've said for a number of years that Formula 1 is sh!t [and I've been right about this], but I watched the Senna documentary and it was absolutely class. So if anyone has been putting it off cos they're not into motor racing [you've been right about that], get it watched.

Never a truer word said :yes

Considering everything is from archive footage the editing is unbelievable. If you didn't know, you'd think it was a script.

Wor lass can't stand F1 but reckons it's the best documentary film she's ever seen.

Also paints that autocratic wanker Balestre in the perfect light.

I've said for a number of years that Formula 1 is shit [and I've been right about this], but I watched the Senna documentary and it was absolutely class. So if anyone has been putting it off cos they're not into motor racing [you've been right about that], get it watched.

Netflix? :lol:

Netflix? :lol:

Of course. :lol:

I watched Exit Through the Gift Shop too. It was good, but not as good as Senna.