Film/moving picture show you most recently watched

Jimbo

Watched a bunch of blu-rays on the weekend (only had it for a week).

Chungking Express

Seen it countless times. Such a fun film, full of energy. Had a shit week at work, but this made me forget it all. One of my favourite films. 9/10

Merry Christmas, Mr Lawrence

First time seeing it, and it has a few qualities. Looks great and has a nice, slightly surreal feel. Also, the first film I've seen deal with the theme of POW camps and homosexuality. (Not a major theme, but it's there and it lent the film an interesting slant.) Nevertheless, as it continued I lost more and more interest in it. As such, 4 or 5/10.

Deliverence

I hadn't watched this since I was 16 or 18 or so. I remembered a few scenes (those that everyone does), but not much else. I great nightmare of a film that is so very well directed. An amazing study of masculinity, nature, environment, poverty, the affects of modern living etc. all packed into what is also just a damned great action/horror/men-against-nature/boys-own-adventure film. 7.5 or 8/10.

Edited by dbsweeney

Watched part of Gumball Rally which was on TV the other night. Ridiculously interesting. 70s film, fashions and fast cars.. nice soundtrack.

Was really only on in the background.

Moneyball

Love owt Aaron Sorkin writes. The daughter/wife tacked on bollocks was needless and wouldn't have pulled in female viewers at all if they weren't interested in the sports/stats side of things anyway. Didn't know Sorkin had done a sports series prior to the West Wing. Anyone seen Sports Night?

Gonna have to get hold of that too

The Fountain

Horseshit

Ghost Writer

What a crock of utter shite.

Terrible hollywood british accents, ridiculously far-fetched and totally unbelievable storyline and a nothing ending that served to make the entire debacle of a thriller completely and utterly pointless.

Taped it off channel 4 last night. Looking forward to it. Got good reviews at the time.

Thought it was based on reality? Tony B and that.

The war crime premise was fine by me, but the acting was terrible. I usually love Ewen McGregor's films but he can't do a cockney accent to save his life.

His antic in the film are too unbelievable and just didn't buy into how his character would get that involved in it all.

Watched it last night. Quite enjoyed it personally. It grates on our english ears to hear outsiders do our accent. That was my only problem with McGregor. Whenever ghe does scottish or American he's fine, but I'm never impressed when he's playing English. The story itself and the Hitchcocky suspense was all good though.

Isn't that Sports Night thing on Netflix? I might be talking bollocks here mind.

I'll have a look later cheers. Tried at work, but it's not on the UK one.

I did find Nighty Night when searching though. Seem to remember that was canny funny.

got about 25 minutes into the girl with the dragon tattoo before losing the will to live...Does it get any better?

stay with it; it's good.

Think the original is better. Fincher has really overdone it. Needs at least 1/2 hr cutting.

got about 25 minutes into the girl with the dragon tattoo before losing the will to live...Does it get any better?

stay with it; it's good.

Think the original is better. Fincher has really overdone it. Needs at least 1/2 hr cutting.

Was talking about the original. Didn't even know the remake was out yet.

t's way overlong and packed with needless detail and bad pacing. Some good moments mind. The main flaw with it is the girls relationship with the journalist has been totally softened up and gone Hollywood. It simply lacks the tension of the original between the pair (that she is A social and her behaviour has been lightened (won't ruin it for you)...

Moneyball - The script was even more formulaic than Jonah Hill's statistics model. Just an awful, awful film. Dull and predictable, I'm baffled as to why this has gotten any plaudits at all.

Also, what was the point of his daughter? Was she supposed to be adding anything to the story?