Film/moving picture show you most recently watched

Jimbo

Started watching the Hangover 2 the other day. Pretty damn crap so far, really not enjoying it. Stopped watching as I had somethign to do, will probably finish it out of completism only.

Watched parts of Uncle Buck on telly the other day, now there's a classic movie. RIP John Candy.

Hunger Games is the biggest opening original (non-remake, non-sequel) film of all time. I hadn't heard of it before this morning. Seems to be a lot like Battle Royale, which has to be a good thing, and I loved Pleasantville (same director). Hope to get to the IMAX to see it this week.

Same vein as the Twilight books. Prepare to be surrounded by 11 year old girls if you want to see it

It's a 12A, so more likely to be 13 year old girls...or an adult to go with each group of 11 year olds :)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1392170/ratings

Bit queasy that females like it better in every age group apart from the over 45's where men like it best. It's not like Sucker Punch is it?

Either way, a 7.7 from males across the board is still better than the 7.0 for John Carter...ostensibly a more male film.....

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1392170/ratings

At least you can pretend to be with a gaggle of young lasses to save face then

If I've seen a film I think is aimed at pre-puescent girls, then I'll say so...http://www.toontastic.net/board/topic/374-film-you-most-recently-watched/page__st__9360__p__768176#entry768176

...but if a Battle Royale storyline, intense threat, moderate violence and occasional gory moments are things only young girls can enjoy, then I'll throw on a dress. Steven King has given it a glowing review, comparing it favourably to his own Running Man.

I might come out of it and think the same as i did about Twilight, but I'm not going to avoid a film by a director I like with actors who've done great stuff, getting great reviews and breaking box office records, because the book had a quote from the author of Twilight on..

Look at the awards the book won man :lol:

1 - The New York Times "Notable Children's Book of 2008".

2 - 2009 winner of the Golden Duck Award in the Young Adult Fiction Category.

3 - School Library Journal's "Best Books 2008"

4 - In 2011, the book won the California Young Reader Medal

5 - In the 2012 edition of Scholastic's Parent and Child magazine, The Hunger Games was listed as the 33rd best book for children, with the award for "Most Exciting Ending".

Look at the awards the book won man :lol:

1 - The New York Times "Notable Children's Book of 2008".

2 - 2009 winner of the Golden Duck Award in the Young Adult Fiction Category.

3 - School Library Journal's "Best Books 2008"

4 - In 2011, the book won the California Young Reader Medal

5 - In the 2012 edition of Scholastic's Parent and Child magazine, The Hunger Games was listed as the 33rd best book for children, with the award for "Most Exciting Ending".

American literary prizes. Can people in America read then?

I'm only winding him up man. Although I would bet my house in it being fuck all like Running Man

thought that myself, seen the comparison elsewhere though to be fair

Hunger Games.

Don't be put off by the Twilight comparisons J69. There's much less mopey "should I kiss this lad or that lad?" high school bollocks. Rather than a teen soap with action it's action first (albeit rapidly cut inferred gore than actual carnage) and the only 'will she won't she?' shite is based on self preservation within the game rather than 'feelings'. The lead being a girl is as relevant as it is in Alien. Stick a fella in there and it wouldn't make that much difference.

Edited by Happy Face

Hunger Games.

Don't be put off by the Twilight comparisons J69. There's much less mopey "should I kiss this lad or that lad?" high school bollocks. Rather than a teen soap with action it's action first (albeit rapidly cut inferred gore than actual carnage) and the only 'will she won't she?' shite is based on self preservation within the game rather than 'feelings'. The lead being a girl is as relevant as it is in Alien. Stick a fella in there and it wouldn't make that much difference.

It was pretty dissapointing bearing in mind the hype. The plot is as weak as fuck and ALL the characters are thinly drawn caricatures. Some of the stuff in the forest is alright. The thousands of cuts and wipes per scene left me feeling that it was a very lame attempt at emotion/sensation overcoming any kind of critical thought. [/farenheit451].

I sense the books might be pretty good mind as there was glimpses of deeper machinations that were just glossed over.

6.2/10

why not 6.3?

The .2 is just a pisstake. :lol:

Would have been better if they had volunteered for X factor AND THEN dumped in a forest with weapons. ;)

Edited by Park Life

The whole point of Alien is that she's a woman. A bloke would have just gone for a pint with the alien and sorted out their differences.

I'm sure the underlying feminist themes weren't even considered by 90% of viewers who just liked being scared by the alien. Just letting J69 know it's ok, he won't be surrounded by 11 year old girls cheering for different boys as and when they appear on screen.

...Mind the trailer for the new Twilight film was on beforehand and really fucked up the last film to come out for those of us that haven't seen it yet.

Edited by Happy Face

Hunger Games.

It was pretty dissapointing bearing in mind the hype. The plot is as weak as fuck and ALL the characters are thinly drawn caricatures. Some of the stuff in the forest is alright. The thousands of cuts and wipes per scene left me feeling that it was a very lame attempt at emotion/sensation overcoming any kind of critical thought. [/farenheit451].

I sense the books might be pretty good mind as there was glimpses of deeper machinations that were just glossed over.

6.2/10

I wanted more from the riots. I wanted to see the overthrow. It was annoying to see the fighters continue to play by the rules to the very end....I guess it's being saved for later films/books.

Hunger Games.

6.2/10

I wanted more from the riots. I wanted to see the overthrow. It was annoying to see the fighters continue to play by the rules to the very end....I guess it's being saved for later films/books.

Exactly.

Not having read the books I imagined the fighters/hostages would somehow spark some kind of revolt amongst the proles. And like you say there seemed little paving the way/backstory - which really 'took away' from the shennanigans in the forest.

I wanted to know exactly what was for grabs and what were the real odds?.How much real control was there in the 'outlands'? It was also irritating that the uniforms were straight out of THX (homage?). :lol:

At the end of the day I was glad they fucked it up cause this film has some things eerily close to my script. :)

Control is freedom. ;)

Edited by Park Life

Michael Bay is doing a TMNT remake...and making them aliens.

Someone has to stop him. :(

its a possibility that hes just wrong tbh, he owns the production studio but hes not writing it or directing it

there is still hope