Coronavirus

Anorthernsoul

1 hour ago, Kevin Carr's Gloves said:

He’s the guy who said covid would burn itself out in 2 weeks, 4 weeks ago.

Well I'm listening to an interview with him from 2 weeks ago and he hasn't said that. Have you got a link? 

London live now there must be 1,000,000+ there. No social distancing & the majority not wearing any kind of mask. I'm convinced in 2 weeks there'll be a 2nd spike 

Edited by trooper

17 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

So we were going to go and visit our mates this afternoon whose kids are same age as ours - it was their boy’s birthday this weekend, we had a present to drop off etc. We were going to bring some beers and try to do our first socially distant catch up in a garden, but then they tell us that their kids have been at a play date this morning with kids of their friend’s, who happen to be key workers. I asked if they would be playing at a distance. They said they would have tried but couldn’t guarantee it. 

All of a sudden, I don’t fancy it.

Are we worrying too much? The infection rates and number of deaths in London have plummeted. It feels like a lot of people are taking this thing much less seriously than we still are. I know people who went on the BLM march yesterday. When I expressed surprise they said they wore gloves and masks and weren’t worried. I dunno, I know life has to get back to some kind of normality but it’s hard to know if we need to chill out a bit or if others should still be treating the virus with the respect it deserves. 

Once you agree to get togethers like this, you've got to accept that if family A is agreeing to meet up with family B, then they're also going to be making similar arrangements with other families. There's an inherent risk in that but you can only be in control of your own behaviour. You have to assume that all of the things you're concerned about - kids not distancing etc - are probably happening. 

The conclusion of which is if you're not happy with the risk, you need to not arrange these meet-ups. 

13 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

Well I'm listening to an interview with him from 2 weeks ago and he hasn't said that. Have you got a link? 

He did say that but was referring to Ireland when he said it and he was pretty much correct.

I hope to fuck he's right btw cos he reckons 25% for herd immunity and that the worst of it is now receding, albeit it might return in some form in the winter. Worth listening to the episode though cos it's all quite a bit more nuanced than me just regurgitating hopeful headlines. 

29 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

So we were going to go and visit our mates this afternoon whose kids are same age as ours - it was their boy’s birthday this weekend, we had a present to drop off etc. We were going to bring some beers and try to do our first socially distant catch up in a garden, but then they tell us that their kids have been at a play date this morning with kids of their friend’s, who happen to be key workers. I asked if they would be playing at a distance. They said they would have tried but couldn’t guarantee it. 

All of a sudden, I don’t fancy it.

Are we worrying too much? The infection rates and number of deaths in London have plummeted. It feels like a lot of people are taking this thing much less seriously than we still are. I know people who went on the BLM march yesterday. When I expressed surprise they said they wore gloves and masks and weren’t worried. I dunno, I know life has to get back to some kind of normality but it’s hard to know if we need to chill out a bit or if others should still be treating the virus with the respect it deserves. 

If you socially distance outdoors I don't see the issue personally. My kids have been going to school throughout this. All the other kids have nurses or doctors as parents,  presumably they are at higher risk than most the public. At the end of the day it's a risk I have to take otherwise we as parents will lose our jobs and everything that follows from that. Not everyone has the luxury of cocooning. 

Prevalence is 0.1% currently, maybe less in London. What level would you like it to get to before meeting friends socially distanced? 

12 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

I hope to fuck he's right btw cos he reckons 25% for herd immunity and that the worst of it is now receding, albeit it might return in some form in the winter. Worth listening to the episode though cos it's all quite a bit more nuanced than me just regurgitating hopeful headlines. 

Really don't get how 25% is enough for herd immunity, was always stated it was 90 to 95%, admittedly for measles which is more infectious.

16 minutes ago, Renton said:

If you socially distance outdoors I don't see the issue personally. My kids have been going to school throughout this. All the other kids have nurses or doctors as parents,  presumably they are at higher risk than most the public. At the end of the day it's a risk I have to take otherwise we as parents will lose our jobs and everything that follows from that. Not everyone has the luxury of cocooning. 

Prevalence is 0.1% currently, maybe less in London. What level would you like it to get to before meeting friends socially distanced? 

that explains why you're more relaxed. i'm aware i probably sounds hyper-cautious but we have been cocooning for the duration and because of that are feeling tentative about taking the first baby steps back to normality 

I've now been out running a couple of times with a friend and his kids and obviously I don't know what they're up to otherwise, but I figure you've got to draw the line somewhere. They're sensible people but I'd be amazed if everyone from a house of rambunctious boys has stayed completely distanced from everyone else throughout this. But again, it's about minimising risk in a way that preserves your sanity, not eliminating risk altogether, because the latter isn't possible anyway. And the mental health boost I get from it is worth it for me. It's a very personal decision though, it has to be ultimately.

2 hours ago, Meenzer said:

I've now been out running a couple of times with a friend and his kids and obviously I don't know what they're up to otherwise, but I figure you've got to draw the line somewhere. They're sensible people but I'd be amazed if everyone from a house of rambunctious boys has stayed completely distanced from everyone else throughout this. But again, it's about minimising risk in a way that preserves your sanity, not eliminating risk altogether, because the latter isn't possible anyway. And the mental health boost I get from it is worth it for me. It's a very personal decision though, it has to be ultimately.

Rambunctious is a great word. 
:lol:

• Haha 1

Look at the disparity there between state and private schools. It's going to cause even more differences in the attainment between these sectors. And the government will be using this to their advantage with absolute glee. Everything that labour did when last in power will be destroyed, and our society will be more unequal than ever. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Renton said:

UK economy going to be the worst hit in the world, according to OECD. So that's the most deaths and the economy most fucked, with no deal Brexit to look forward to on top. Bravo, well played Johnson and Cummings.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2020/jun/10/uk-economy-likely-to-suffer-worst-covid-19-damage-says-oecd

Phil and co will no doubt attribute that to Labour