Jump to content

Coronavirus


Recommended Posts

Looks like Newcastles bars and restaurants will be shut after today, the long term effects of this virus will decimate the north east, I'm in the camp of putting all our resources into protecting the vulnerable and getting back to normal 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 8.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Great news lads the son in laws ex wife is home. It looks like she's going to be ok it's really brought it home how bad this is. Hopefully things can get back to some kind of normality in a couple of

My old man has days, at the most, left.    Good luck to anyone trying to stop me seeing him.    It’ll be The Rule Of Five.…   Five Knuckles.…       I’ll hit th

Probably standing in the empty Nightingale hospitals (which we can’t use without staff btw - good luck finding more nurses)   None of us have been routinely tested. Only eligible if we have

Posted Images

On 10/1/2020 at 16:56, ewerk said:

Do you suggest that those with pre-existing conditions confine themselves to a single room for the next six months? Or should their whole family isolate? How many people would that be isolating?

 

On 10/1/2020 at 16:59, ewerk said:

Also, what do we do with the rest of the population without pre-existing conditions who end up requiring hospitalisation? Just because you won't die from it doesn't mean that you won't become seriously ill.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Isolate and protect the vulnerable, the virus is rife in the UK everyone is going to get it, the vast majority will have little to no symptoms, the ones that do need the resources and help, the track and trace system is a joke and when one of my apprentices caught it I was the one that had to ring around and tell the rest so that's no use.

 

The implications for not getting back to normal are IMO far worse than the current situation.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the real economic damage has been done by delaying the inevitable. That and all the other catastrophic decisions previously. Like locking down too late, not locking down properly, waiting too long to make wearing masks compulsory, not really making wearing masks compulsory, not enforcing restrictions, coming out of lockdown too early, encouraging people to socialise, allowing hundreds of thousands of students to travel to university when they knew infection rates amongst that age group were high, etc, et-fucking-cetera 

Edited by Alex
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Carl said:

Isolate and protect the vulnerable, the virus is rife in the UK everyone is going to get it, the vast majority will have little to no symptoms, the ones that do need the resources and help, the track and trace system is a joke and when one of my apprentices caught it I was the one that had to ring around and tell the rest so that's no use.

 

The implications for not getting back to normal are IMO far worse than the current situation.

I think the implications of that would be absolutely horrific. The countries that have locked down properly and have a responsible population and effective track and trace have coped the best it would seem. So far anyway. The problem here is the halfway house has resulted in the worst of both worlds. A huge death rate and economic Armageddon 

Edited by Alex
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Carl said:

Isolate and protect the vulnerable, the virus is rife in the UK everyone is going to get it, the vast majority will have little to no symptoms, the ones that do need the resources and help, the track and trace system is a joke and when one of my apprentices caught it I was the one that had to ring around and tell the rest so that's no use.

 

The implications for not getting back to normal are IMO far worse than the current situation.

That doesn't answer anything. So the vulnerable aren't to leave their houses? And that goes for the rest of their families?

What about care homes? Do all the workers in those have to confine themselves to work for the next year and not see their families?

Link to post
Share on other sites

How many years do we write off for this lockdown? I suspect we're at about a decade of austerity ahead. It could get worse.

 

I'm not at all blind to the arguments for locking down here but we aren't living the fallout yet. My entire adult life has been austerity, Tories, and complete political depression - it looks like i might be able to say that when I'm 60 as well.

Link to post
Share on other sites

We’re an island. 
Of all the countries in Europe, we should have been the one to be able to keep the virus out/eradicate it quickly from our population, by imposing strict measures. 
 

If we weren’t run by a balding weasel from Durham, we could have. 

  • Like 6
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Rayvin said:

How many years do we write off for this lockdown? I suspect we're at about a decade of austerity ahead. It could get worse.

 

I'm not at all blind to the arguments for locking down here but we aren't living the fallout yet. My entire adult life has been austerity, Tories, and complete political depression - it looks like i might be able to say that when I'm 60 as well.

We could make it a whole lot easier by cancelling the whole Brexit fiasco. 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

How many years do we write off for this lockdown? I suspect we're at about a decade of austerity ahead. It could get worse.

 

I'm not at all blind to the arguments for locking down here but we aren't living the fallout yet. My entire adult life has been austerity, Tories, and complete political depression - it looks like i might be able to say that when I'm 60 as well.

But at least we'll have GOT BREXIT DONE in your lifetime and what an achievement in the life of the ordinary pleb. A bit like living your whole life watching one of those old cathedrals getting built centuries ago. :yahoo:

 

Edited by Howmanheyman
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Monkeys Fist said:

We’re an island. 
Of all the countries in Europe, we should have been the one to be able to keep the virus out/eradicate it quickly from our population, by imposing strict measures.

 

Plus a huge opportunity to illustrate to the sceptical half of the public how Taking Back Control might have its benefits after all. Weird that they didn't want to, really. :scratchchin:

  • Haha 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

How many years do we write off for this lockdown? I suspect we're at about a decade of austerity ahead. It could get worse.

 

I'm not at all blind to the arguments for locking down here but we aren't living the fallout yet. My entire adult life has been austerity, Tories, and complete political depression - it looks like i might be able to say that when I'm 60 as well.

It’ll be interesting to see if Johnson and Cunmings manage your retain the 1922’s support and beat off a rival leadership bid by Sunak once Brexit is done because Johnson, for all his faults, still seems to want to spend his way out of this. 

Edited by Dr Gloom
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Meenzer said:

 

Plus a huge opportunity to illustrate to the sceptical half of the public how Taking Back Control might have its benefits after all. Weird that they didn't want to, really. :scratchchin:

:lol: It was a Ukipper’s dream - close the borders, impose an authoritarian state, show the world how it’s done. 

It would meant someone taking responsibility for it though. 

 

Fucking shambles :lol:

Link to post
Share on other sites

If it wasn't for the issue of the hospitals becoming overwhelmed, I would say just let the pubs stay open, and if you're stupid enough to want to take your chances for the sake of a drink, fucking go for it. 

 

I fucking hate this government. Track and trace needed to be done properly and we could all have returned to some degree of normality. It's not impossible, other countries have done it, but we are so fucking incompetent that we're stuck with this situation where businesses are just gonna have to go bust to bail these cunts out of their own mess. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

If it wasn't for the issue of the hospitals becoming overwhelmed, I would say just let the pubs stay open, and if you're stupid enough to want to take your chances for the sake of a drink, fucking go for it. 

 

I fucking hate this government. Track and trace needed to be done properly and we could all have returned to some degree of normality. It's not impossible, other countries have done it, but we are so fucking incompetent that we're stuck with this situation where businesses not owned by the Cabinet or their mates are just gonna have to go bust to bail these cunts out of their own mess. 

FYP. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Renton said:

ONS data confirms 80% of people positive for coronavirus have no symptoms at all. There are silent spreaders everywhere. Its impossible to control this. 

 

Did you see the paper in the Lancet about false positives? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

 

Did you see the paper in the Lancet about false positives? 

 

No, but it was the subject of the More or Less podcast recently and its importance was debunked. Will have a look when I get the chance. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

Try and get past the first paragraph this time. :razz:

Read it. Aye, without knowing the specificity of the tests false positives are a real issue when prevalence is low. Still, there does seem to be a lot of asymptomatic carriers. 85% in the Northumbria outbreak, where prevalence was sufficiently high this shouldn't have been an issue.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Alex said:

I think the real economic damage has been done by delaying the inevitable. That and all the other catastrophic decisions previously. Like locking down too late, not locking down properly, waiting too long to make wearing masks compulsory, not really making wearing masks compulsory, not enforcing restrictions, coming out of lockdown too early, encouraging people to socialise, allowing hundreds of thousands of students to travel to university when they knew infection rates amongst that age group were high, etc, et-fucking-cetera 

I agree with this 100%

 

2 hours ago, Monkeys Fist said:

We’re an island. 
Of all the countries in Europe, we should have been the one to be able to keep the virus out/eradicate it quickly from our population, by imposing strict measures. 
 

If we weren’t run by a balding weasel from Durham, we could have. 

Yeah they knew it was coming & just sat back & watched it. Then eventually shit themselves when the realised how dangerous it was. This could have all been avoided. Or at least been nothing like it is now 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

The thing  about the island thing is that the excuse for not closing Heathrow etc was that tens of thousands arrive every day which is obviously incomparable with New Zealand -  however nobody asked why the fuck so many needed to come at that time (March/April/May). Tourists should have been told to fuck off for starters  and they should have allowed repatriation with quarantine but its business travellers that get me. I understand that the UK being such a hub for business is one of the reasons we were hit harder but why the hell didn't they ask travellers if their journey was that necessary? In fact they should have had to explain their reasons. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...