Coronavirus

Anorthernsoul

Obviously didn't do maths at Cambridge if he thinks a couple of hundred is more than 150,000..

Assumed he lived alone by the vid but his lass and kid should have hospitalised him by the sound of things. 

There’s was a parent at my kid’s school. Typical bouncer, wannabe hard man type. Anti-vaccine, anti-mask. Refused treatment after falling seriously ill with covid. Found dead at his home by his ex-wife about a month ago. 

15 hours ago, Alex said:

There’s was a parent at my kid’s school. Typical bouncer, wannabe hard man type. Anti-vaccine, anti-mask. Refused treatment after falling seriously ill with covid. Found dead at his home by his ex-wife about a month ago. 

lol do his rip

• Haha 2

Loads of people still wearing masks out and about in the shops. And notable that the people that aren't are either old as fuck or great big fatties. 

Hard to believe these people won't be rocking a ventilator before the year's out. 

1 hour ago, Gemmill said:

Loads of people still wearing masks out and about in the shops. And notable that the people that aren't are either old as fuck or great big fatties. 

Hard to believe these people won't be rocking a ventilator before the year's out. 

Round here it's only the tradesmen who aren't wearing masks inside shops.

Did see a cabbie get out of his car, take off his mask, go inside the petrol station, then put it back on when he got back in his car.

21 minutes ago, Monkeys Fist said:

Cheshire- the only place in the UK where “going in the tradesmens entrance” actually means a door for the builders. 

It will be when we can get a fucking quote.

layabouts.

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, strawb said:

I gave you my builders number didn’t I? 

Yep, messaged him, but got no reply. 

I've anticipated every joke you pricks could make about him deliberately avoiding me, and none of them are original, clever, or funny.

Edited by The Fish
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, The Fish said:

Yep, messaged him, but got no reply. 

I've anticipated every joke you pricks could make about him deliberately avoiding me, and none of them are original, clever, or funny.

Can you share any anyway? 

• Haha 2

I can see trouble brewing in Australia. They've just locked down an entire city for 7 days because of 1 positive COVID test. Not sure what the end game is unless they enforce isolation for every person entering the country again forever!? Not sure a zero COVID strategy is a realistic aim for anyone anymore 

2 hours ago, Kid Dynamite said:

I can see trouble brewing in Australia. They've just locked down an entire city for 7 days because of 1 positive COVID test. Not sure what the end game is unless they enforce isolation for every person entering the country again forever!? Not sure a zero COVID strategy is a realistic aim for anyone anymore 

Trying to stay on top of delta until the vaccinations are at a high enough level to prevent most hospitalisations and deaths. Biggest problem being that there are supply issues in particular for the favoured pfizer vaccine. The AZ has been the subject of plenty of negative media reports around the potential for serious blood clots and now with the virus back and spreading in certain areas there has been mixed messages from the goverment regarding eligibility for AZ - initially it was recommended for those over 40 only, then revised to over 60, then back to over 50 and now to over 60 as well as anyone 16-60 "where the benefits outweigh the risks, including in outbreak settings". Given that AZ can be produced in Australia it's much more readily available.

Vaccination numbers are finally progressing at a reasonable pace with more pfizer around the corner and moderna now also approved and on the way.

In the meantime Sydney has had cases continually grow for a couple of months now, now getting around 250 cases a day which has seen this delta outbreak bring the highest numbers of the whole pandemic for Sydney/NSW. The testing numbers are at record highs too, which is good. Other states and cities have been faster to implement snap lockdowns in the face of delta cases which for the most part is allowing them to stay on top of the case numbers through contact tracing and isolation of close contacts. But with the transmissibilty of delta the next case is seemingly always just around the corner so the focus has definitely shifted to vaccinations being the only way to ensure a future without lockdowns.

That city you reference is Canberra which is wedged inside regional NSW, but not too far from Sydney where cases are spreading. Canberra had not had a single case of community transmission in over 100 days, and with this case being delta they're rightfully concerned and acting in proportion to the risk.

Thankfully most of the elderly population has been vaccinated so the deaths with this wave have been much lower than the first. In total the entire country has had around 950 deaths attributed to covid, around 50 of those during this current outbreak.

Getting to 80%+ vaccinations is only going to be possible by November, so it's going to be a long hard lockdown slog where it has not been nipped in the bud. Currently that's only Sydney but the second biggest city Melbourne has been in and out of lockdown and has been recording 20+ cases a day for a few days now. They've been most affected in the past so have been very quick to implement lockdowns with delta but even then it is proving to be a struggle.

• Like 5

Informative post, cheers. I heard today that the R0 for delta is reckoned to be between 6 and 8, compared to around 2 for the wild type. Homestly think its going to be very difficult to contain it even with strict lock downs. The risk benefit ratio for AZ improves with rising prevalence, but when you consider it takes 3 weeks for the first dose to offfer any protection, and 10 weeks until the optimal time for the second dose, then its not a suitable intervention against outbreaks. I'd recommend all over 40s get the AZ asap.