Coronavirus

Anorthernsoul

2 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

:lol:

I get it man. You're #awake.

Now can you please stop giving us the benefit of your incredibly fucking well researched knowledge. 

Did you only see 12 triangles, like? 

😉

8 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

I get it man. You're #awake.

Now can you please stop giving us the benefit of your incredibly fucking well researched knowledge. 

Vitamin d is a conspiracy theory!!! :panic:

10 minutes ago, Asprilla said:

Vitamin d is a conspiracy theory!!! :panic:

No, it’s actually something that gets covered by the msm and various studies.

The hyping of the effect of vitamin d to be some magical cure is conspiracy  stuff though.

Anyway, I’m out of this nonsense.

1 hour ago, Isegrim said:

The hyping of the effect of vitamin d to be some magical cure is conspiracy  stuff though.

It’s big vitamin, innit?

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Isegrim said:

My post to Gemmill was a fucking joke guys… 🤓

but there’s absolutely no way you can say it’s received anything like as much coverage as it should. I haven’t seen anything on it apart from alternative media

there is a theory that the flu season is just a low vitamin d season

act like I’m saying something crazy if it makes you feel good by all means 🤩

NOW… here is something interesting that you could ponder (except you mostly won’t cause you’re mostly bellends 💃🏼)

I’m sure one of you Nobel prize winners can tell me why this isn’t possible but instead of vaccines, can’t they just tweak a virus to be more contagious and less harmful?

this video suggests that covid may have spread to mice who then passed it back to us as omicron

watch it, enjoy it, ignore it, call me a cunt it’s all gravy cause life is good and Ashley has gone

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/may/20/vitamin-d-is-a-vital-covid-defence-tool

"Vitamin D is a vital Covid Defence Tool" May 2021

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2021/jan/10/does-vitamin-d-combat-covid

Does Vitamin D combat Covid Jan 2021

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/feb/05/matt-hancock-orders-third-review-on-link-between-vitamin-d-and-covid

UK keeping the link between Covid and Vit D under review -  Feb 2021

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/oct/31/add-vitamin-d-bread-milk-help-fight-covid-urge-scientists-deficiency-supplements

Scientists urge people to add Vitamin D to bread and milk to help fight Covid - Oct 2021.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-56180921

The truth about an alleged Vit D Cover up - April 2021

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-52371688

Should I start taking Vitamin D - Dec 2020

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/04/23/health/vitamin-d-uk-coronavirus-wellness/index.html

Britons urged to take more Vitamin D if they don't go outside April 2020

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/05/26/health/vitamin-d-coronavirus-wellness/index.html

Vitamin D's effect on Covid may be exaggerated May 2020

I'm going to stop here because I think I've covered the unholy trinity of media sources as far as the right wing go. The Guardian, the BBC and CNN. Many articles. It took me 5 mins to find these. Actually it didn't, it took me 30 seconds. It took me 5 mins to make the post. Is it worth considering that you may just be reading the wrong media sources? The right wing ones are really unreliable tbf.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Asprilla said:

NOW… here is something interesting that you could ponder (except you mostly won’t cause you’re mostly bellends 💃🏼)

I’m sure one of you Nobel prize winners can tell me why this isn’t possible but instead of vaccines, can’t they just tweak a virus to be more contagious and less harmful?

this video suggests that covid may have spread to mice who then passed it back to us as omicron

watch it, enjoy it, ignore it, call me a cunt it’s all gravy cause life is good and Ashley has gone

Have watched video, can believe it's possible and am reassured by peer reviewed paper supporting the conclusion, but not sure what your argument is? Are you saying they should have done this instead of vaccinating everyone? If so, I have the following thoughts:

1 - If this is something that is actually done with such diseases, it's very likely that they tried with earlier variants but they weren't successful - or rather, the process was so lengthy that it took them until now to achieve it.

2-  If we had waited and done nothing on the vaccine front it would have been horrendously irresponsible.

3 - Many more people would have died while we were waiting for Omicron, given that we're 2 years into the disease now and one year into the vaccine program. How many deaths would the wait have been worth?

4 - We don't know the long term effects of Omicron yet, genetically engineered or otherwise - far less than we do about the long term health effects of the vaccine. Why do you trust the virus more than the vaccine?

5 - The guy in the video isn't making the case that we developed Omicron, he's saying it happened randomly. So.. I mean are you saying we should just trust dumb luck in future? Or is the argument that as of now, there's no need for the vaccine? So your contention becomes you've cheated the system by not being vaccinated for long enough that the far more dangerous form of the disease has been nerfed by the more recent one. That's not a gotcha moment though, that's the same thing as I mentioned in an earlier post. Equivalent to a someone giving the right answer with the wrong working out. It's just dumb luck.

It's an interesting video though, I do grant you that.

15 hours ago, OTF said:

He was granted a visa based on information that was provided before departing ie. saying I'm medically exempt from being vaccinated because I have had coronavirus within the last x weeks or possibly something to that effect. Then upon landing he's been asked to provide evidence of the information provided and has not been able to, hence the visa has been cancelled. I think that's approximately the summary.

Without being too Fish (or Rayvin), Tennis Australia and by extension the Victorian Government said he could play in the Oz Open if he met certain criteria.  That included having COVID in the last 6 months.  

Two independent medical expert panels checked the medical evidence blind and said that medical evidence showed he met those criteria.  Of course, no one has mentioned whether or not that medical evidence was correct or not, but that is another matter.  They apparently were unaware that it related to Djokovic (although extremely fit 34 year old tennis player may have been a clue).

However, the Oz government regulations do not allow having COVID in the last 6 months as an exemption for a visa, which is why his visa was withdrawn on entry.  Apparently Tennis Australia was notified of this in November last year (but did not inform the Victorian Government), but presumably hoped that refusing him entry would be a bridge too far for the Oz Government.

At the end of the day, no one comes out of this well and it just allows politicians here to show how tough they are.  It should (and in fairness was) have been made clear before he left that he would not be getting into the country, but a lot of visas in all countries are fairly automatic until you actually arrive, at which time any documents relied upon are actually checked.

18 minutes ago, RobinRobin said:

At the end of the day, no one comes out of this well and it just allows politicians here to show how tough they are.  It should (and in fairness was) have been made clear before he left that he would not be getting into the country, but a lot of visas in all countries are fairly automatic until you actually arrive, at which time any documents relied upon are actually checked.

Agree that the politicians are using this to curry favour with the general population who are happy with the resulting treatment of Djokovic. Personally I don't think he should have been granted an exception to begin with and there therefore would have been none of this drama. I understand that tennis Australia would have been desperate for him to play and probably for him to also win and claim the record but by the same token they should have been able to read the room to know how unpopular letting someone in who has been wholly irresponsible throughout the pandemic just because they're good at tennis was going to be.

It would be very difficult without conducting blood tests to actually confirm whether someone has been covid positive and when that was. As far as official documentation goes that would be very varied, and if it's a case of providing some sort of medical confirmation from a Dr, then money talks and you would have to take it with a grain of salt given the petulant track record of Djokovic and his entourage.

Edited by OTF
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Rayvin said:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/may/20/vitamin-d-is-a-vital-covid-defence-tool

"Vitamin D is a vital Covid Defence Tool" May 2021

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2021/jan/10/does-vitamin-d-combat-covid

Does Vitamin D combat Covid Jan 2021

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/feb/05/matt-hancock-orders-third-review-on-link-between-vitamin-d-and-covid

UK keeping the link between Covid and Vit D under review -  Feb 2021

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/oct/31/add-vitamin-d-bread-milk-help-fight-covid-urge-scientists-deficiency-supplements

Scientists urge people to add Vitamin D to bread and milk to help fight Covid - Oct 2021.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-56180921

The truth about an alleged Vit D Cover up - April 2021

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-52371688

Should I start taking Vitamin D - Dec 2020

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/04/23/health/vitamin-d-uk-coronavirus-wellness/index.html

Britons urged to take more Vitamin D if they don't go outside April 2020

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/05/26/health/vitamin-d-coronavirus-wellness/index.html

Vitamin D's effect on Covid may be exaggerated May 2020

I'm going to stop here because I think I've covered the unholy trinity of media sources as far as the right wing go. The Guardian, the BBC and CNN. Many articles. It took me 5 mins to find these. Actually it didn't, it took me 30 seconds. It took me 5 mins to make the post. Is it worth considering that you may just be reading the wrong media sources? The right wing ones are really unreliable tbf.

Fair enough. I’m a bit of a vitamin d evangelist generally so I tend to get frustrated that it isn’t mentioned as much as (I think) it should be.

The fact that they can be found from months apart by a google search isn’t exactly the same as it being a core message of reducing the risk of serious illness though…

left wing ones are just as bad they just have different blind spots

right wing ones focus towards individual autonomy and small government so it follows there is more focus on fixes that aren’t mandated by the government

Edited by Asprilla

2 hours ago, Rayvin said:

Have watched video, can believe it's possible and am reassured by peer reviewed paper supporting the conclusion, but not sure what your argument is? Are you saying they should have done this instead of vaccinating everyone? If so, I have the following thoughts:

1 - If this is something that is actually done with such diseases, it's very likely that they tried with earlier variants but they weren't successful - or rather, the process was so lengthy that it took them until now to achieve it.

2-  If we had waited and done nothing on the vaccine front it would have been horrendously irresponsible.

3 - Many more people would have died while we were waiting for Omicron, given that we're 2 years into the disease now and one year into the vaccine program. How many deaths would the wait have been worth?

4 - We don't know the long term effects of Omicron yet, genetically engineered or otherwise - far less than we do about the long term health effects of the vaccine. Why do you trust the virus more than the vaccine?

5 - The guy in the video isn't making the case that we developed Omicron, he's saying it happened randomly. So.. I mean are you saying we should just trust dumb luck in future? Or is the argument that as of now, there's no need for the vaccine? So your contention becomes you've cheated the system by not being vaccinated for long enough that the far more dangerous form of the disease has been nerfed by the more recent one. That's not a gotcha moment though, that's the same thing as I mentioned in an earlier post. Equivalent to a someone giving the right answer with the wrong working out. It's just dumb luck.

It's an interesting video though, I do grant you that.

No I’m not saying anything other than is there a case for trying to engineer competing viruses rather than vaccines in future.

It’s just a thought I’m not saying it’s definitely going to work.

Armed forces deployed to London hospitals amid staffing crisis

Some 200 Armed Forces personnel are being deployed to support the NHS in London as hospitals grapple with staff shortages.

Military medics will assist NHS doctors and nurses with patient care, while general duty personnel will help fill gaps caused by other absences.

The Royal College of Nursing has said the deployment means the government can no longer deny there is a "staffing crisis" within the NHS.

33 minutes ago, trooper said:

Armed forces deployed to London hospitals amid staffing crisis

Some 200 Armed Forces personnel are being deployed to support the NHS in London as hospitals grapple with staff shortages.

Military medics will assist NHS doctors and nurses with patient care, while general duty personnel will help fill gaps caused by other absences.

The Royal College of Nursing has said the deployment means the government can no longer deny there is a "staffing crisis" within the NHS.

All perfectly normal 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Asprilla said:

can’t they just tweak a virus to be more contagious and less harmful?

You've just described a vaccine that will unknowingly spread to others. You're basically advocating vaccination by stealth. That's quite a jump for you.

• Haha 3

Also, we can come up with a vaccine which definitely improves health outcomes, or we can fuck about injecting it in to mice and HOPE that what it mutates into is something less harmful (at least to mice) and then release that into the community and HOPE that the impact on humans is also less harmful. 

One of them sounds like science and one of them sounds like the opening scenes of a disaster movie. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Asprilla said:

Snarky responses, rather predictable but comforting in an Ian Hislop kind of way.

Well done.

Address my point rather than presenting an ad hominem attack please.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

12 minutes ago, Asprilla said:

Snarky responses, rather predictable but comforting in an Ian Hislop kind of way.

Well done.

Made up science fiction theories, completely wacky in a Dr Frankenstein kind of way. 

Got the response it deserved.