The Entirely Reasonable Potential Transfers Thread

Ayatollah Hermione

There seems to be a lot of rhetoric that we need to build a squad that is capable of beating the drop this year then build a squad in the summer to push for the top half next year.

Now, I get that we are not in a position to persuade some players to come to us and that makes sense but that is not the stance these articles/ ITKs are taking. It is the grit of a player to win a game that we need to get in now not the better calibre of player.

When we were in the Championship and we had Hanley, Gayle and Murphy etc. that maked sense as we needed players who were capable in that league, however, if a player e.g. Lingard, Trippier, Ox would come in the summer to win us enough games to get up top half, I'm sure, if they came in January, they would manage to win games (against the exact same teams) to help us get out of the mess we are in now. We will play the same teams next year.

I also think of a player is going to be put off from a potential relegation scrap, they won't want to come to a team that just finished 15/16/17th as another scrap looks likely. Either they believe in their own ability to make us better or they don't. 

When we went down in 2016, Benítez was a bloody genius in the transfer market. The mixture of talent, graft and lower league brutality he brought in showed just how far outside the box he could think/work.

That squad, mainly due to the utter fuckwittery and tightness of the previous cunt of an owner has ultimately led to where we are now, I think.

So any thoughts on short termism need to be very well considered. Not just as to whether the funds would be there after the first bout of purchases and wage agreements, but because of longer term financial fair play bollocks.

Edited by Dougle
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Dougle said:

When we went down in 2016, Benítez was a bloody genius in the transfer market. The mixture of talent, graft and lower league brutality he brought in showed just how far outside the box he could think/work.

That squad, mainly due to the utter fuckwittery and tightness of the previous cunt of an owner has ultimately led to where we are now, I think.

So any thoughts on short termism need to be very well considered. Not just as to whether the funds would be there after the first bout of purchases and wage agreements, but because of longer term financial fair play bollocks.

Speaks volumes that a player we signed in 2016 to fire us out of the championship is still the only back up we have to our main injury prone striker

• Like 2

I've read two things about this deal in the last few days....one says Lille don't need to sell and another that they built a 50k stadium for an average crowd of 19k a decade ago and are struggling to pay for it so are looking to move Botman on... so they'll get a bid from an  "elite" European side which the player will be keen on but it'll be 10 mill less than what we're prepared to pay... you could get round that with a relegation clause though.. 

From what I’ve heard (take it or leave it I’m not itk, it’s from someone who knows someone type of deal here), Sven Botman is our number 1 target, with Diego Carlos from Sevilla the second CB target. They want both, but Botman is by far their most desired target. 

I’ve also heard the Trippier deal is close, the Longstaff - Digne swap, and Ibrahim Sangare from PSV are other deals. 

In addition - there was very little appetite from the higher ups to engage in business with the lower PL sides (or PL sides at all for that matter) due to the “welcome” the consortium has received so its a we will take our money elsewhere situation. The swap I mentioned before was more a cheeky attempt as they (via the scout team) see it as mugging Everton off if we get Digne for Longstaff. Again take it or leave it all just what I’ve heard, but I’ve personally been disregarding a lot of these links to players like Tarkowski etc. 

Edited by Howay
  • Like 4

Rumours of Ighalo and supposedly some people aren't that impressed on twitter if indeed it holds any water. Personally I think he'd be a very useful short term back up to Wilson. He was a beast at Watford, and showed a fair bit of quality at Man U when he got the chance. 

Sky sports are saying that we're planning a move for the Zenit St. Petersburg striker Sardar Azmoun. Given that he's Iranian, and the star of their national team, it could be an interesting geopolitical move if nothing else 😂

• Haha 6

23 hours ago, Howay said:

From what I’ve heard (take it or leave it I’m not itk, it’s from someone who knows someone type of deal here), Sven Botman is our number 1 target, with Diego Carlos from Sevilla the second CB target. They want both, but Botman is by far their most desired target. 

I’ve also heard the Trippier deal is close, the Longstaff - Digne swap, and Ibrahim Sangare from PSV are other deals. 

In addition - there was very little appetite from the higher ups to engage in business with the lower PL sides (or PL sides at all for that matter) due to the “welcome” the consortium has received so its a we will take our money elsewhere situation. The swap I mentioned before was more a cheeky attempt as they (via the scout team) see it as mugging Everton off if we get Digne for Longstaff. Again take it or leave it all just what I’ve heard, but I’ve personally been disregarding a lot of these links to players like Tarkowski etc. 

I have not seen much of Botman, but I have been spoken highly of him. Also, he has a good ball style of play, which seems to be something Howe has tried in his early games.

Personally, I don't like Diego Carlos at all, although it is true that he has a very good market. He is a very strong player physically, but very clumsy, very slow with short movements. I think he would be a Brazilian version of Lascelles. I think Marcos Senesi should be a priority option along with Botman.

If the Digne for Longstaff swap is done, we could be talking about one of the best deals in history and the Everton fans will hate us for a few more years.

I have not seen much of Sangaré either, but he is called up with Ivory Coast for the Africa Cup so, if he comes, he would possibly miss the first games, he would arrive in February and, having to adapt and get to know the team ... he would have little time to prove anything.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Diego21 said:

I have not seen much of Botman, but I have been spoken highly of him. Also, he has a good ball style of play, which seems to be something Howe has tried in his early games.

Personally, I don't like Diego Carlos at all, although it is true that he has a very good market. He is a very strong player physically, but very clumsy, very slow with short movements. I think he would be a Brazilian version of Lascelles. I think Marcos Senesi should be a priority option along with Botman.

If the Digne for Longstaff swap is done, we could be talking about one of the best deals in history and the Everton fans will hate us for a few more years.

I have not seen much of Sangaré either, but he is called up with Ivory Coast for the Africa Cup so, if he comes, he would possibly miss the first games, he would arrive in February and, having to adapt and get to know the team ... he would have little time to prove anything.

Good to know - I’ve never seen Botman or Diego Carlos before so it’s good to have some reference to what they’re like. I’ve heard Ake is still of interest, so that sounds better than Diego Carlos? Similarly I’ve never seen Sangare so same boat as yourself on that one. 

Just now, Howay said:

Good to know - I’ve never seen Botman or Diego Carlos before so it’s good to have some reference to what they’re like. I’ve heard Ake is still of interest, so that sounds better than Diego Carlos? Similarly I’ve never seen Sangare so same boat as yourself on that one. 

Ake is better than Diego Carlos for a mile and is better for the Style looks like Howe has in his mind.

Howe are trying to play with passing game since the defence... Is very dificult to do that with Lascelles, Clark and Fede. And with Hayden in the middle sometimes. So, if you have Botman and Ake ... The thing could be more interesting. The problem with that is both are left footed. So I don't believe we can get both. Really I don't remember any team playing with two left footed in the squad at time. Senesi, the man I told, is left too. (Maybe with two of this man we can play 3-5-2).

• Like 5

The list of players out of contract next summer is very interesting. 

You can pay for them a few transfer in January too... (Obviously, there are players out of our posibilities)

Isco, Bale, Hector Herrera, Ousmane Dembele, Sergi Roberto, Januzaj, Aurier, Falcao, Tello, Pogba, Lingard, Rudiger, Azpilicueta, Thiago Silva, Christensen, Lacazette, Kolasinac, elNeny, Chambers, Milner, Origi, Tarkowski, Yarmolenko, Welbeck, Saiss, Moutinho, Cantwell, Bernardeschi, Cuadrado, Dybala, Mertens, Insigne, Perisic, Vecino, Brozovic, Bonaventura, Saponara, Romagnoli, Kessie, Boga, Destro, Belotti, Freuler, Sule, Tolisso, Witsel, Zagadou, Ginter, Zakaria, Di María, Mbappe, Slimani, Denayer, Kamara, Jesús Corona, Onana, Mazraoui, Azmoun, Pavón...

33 minutes ago, Diego21 said:

You can pay for them a few transfer in January too... (Obviously, there are players out of our posibilities)

Isco, Bale, Hector Herrera, Ousmane Dembele, Sergi Roberto, Januzaj, Aurier, Falcao, Tello, Pogba, Lingard, Rudiger, Azpilicueta, Thiago Silva, Christensen, Lacazette, Kolasinac, elNeny, Chambers, Milner, Origi, Tarkowski, Yarmolenko, Welbeck, Saiss, Moutinho, Cantwell, Bernardeschi, Cuadrado, Dybala, Mertens, Insigne, Perisic, Vecino, Brozovic, Bonaventura, Saponara, Romagnoli, Kessie, Boga, Destro, Belotti, Freuler, Sule, Tolisso, Witsel, Zagadou, Ginter, Zakaria, Di María, Mbappe, Slimani, Denayer, Kamara, Jesús Corona, Onana, Mazraoui, Azmoun, Pavón...

"This means nothing to meeeee!"article-2255672-16B6A46F000005DC-495_634

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Diego21 said:

Most of those fall into 2 categories

- Past it

- On huge wages, phoning it in and their clubs want rid 

• Tom locked this topic