The Entirely Reasonable Potential Transfers Thread

Ayatollah Hermione

12 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

the main reason we didn't score said chances against a team languishing near the bottom of the third tier of english football is because we don't have any fit strikers.

if we're going to stay up we need to chase down watford. do you not agree it's imperative we sign someone capable of playing up front and scoring goals before that game?

presently we don't have one. these are exceptional circumstances. get our first choice in at the end of the window if that'd what it takes, but get some cunt in now. we're rich enough to do both. 

I'd say that was a factor, but I wouldn't take away from the game that their 'keeper had. at least 1 world class save from a 'keeper who regularly takes the field in England's third tier. 

We definitely do need to sign a striker, but it's just as important, to sign defenders given that is clearly the biggest reason we've been losing/drawing games. No team has conceded more goals than we have (42GA), and no team has given up better chances (37.92 xGA). 

Signing someone like Wood makes a lot of sense, even if he only plays twice in his entire Newcastle career. But even with the rumoured release clause a transfer deal that wasn't vital a few weeks ago will take time to complete. What I mean is, the club were surely looking at strikers, but they wouldn't have anticipated Wilson was going to get injured at that time, so the minute the severity of his injury became clear I'm sure they shifted focus from long term, to signing an immediate solution. But even with that immediacy it's not like football manager, it takes time.

The pissy bed counter to the waving of willies about fixtures left is that the timing of fixtures is shite, the same as it was when Howe come in. We play most the fucking shite between now and March, then it’s a bit of a brutal run - which is similar to how we played Brentford and Norwich when Howe had walked in the door but by the time he had a chance to really get his tactics over we were getting slapped about by Leicester, Arsenal, Man City and Liverpool. 

Genuinely hope I’m wrong on all of the above, we get our targets in and then are a competent side and cruise to safety. If we got Wood in I think there’s a chance we beat Watford, which would make things seem less desperate and maybe help negotiations / buy time, so that’s my hope now big Chris. 

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, The Fish said:

I'd say that was a factor, but I wouldn't take away from the game that their 'keeper had. at least 1 world class save from a 'keeper who regularly takes the field in England's third tier. 

We definitely do need to sign a striker, but it's just as important, to sign defenders given that is clearly the biggest reason we've been losing/drawing games. No team has conceded more goals than we have (42GA), and no team has given up better chances (37.92 xGA). 

Signing someone like Wood makes a lot of sense, even if he only plays twice in his entire Newcastle career. But even with the rumoured release clause a transfer deal that wasn't vital a few weeks ago will take time to complete. What I mean is, the club were surely looking at strikers, but they wouldn't have anticipated Wilson was going to get injured at that time, so the minute the severity of his injury became clear I'm sure they shifted focus from long term, to signing an immediate solution. But even with that immediacy it's not like football manager, it takes time.

But does it really take that much time given our circumstances? It was reported by Hope on twitter that Wilson would be out for 4-6 weeks on the 29th of December, thats more than enough time to get something worthwhile done given our financial situation means we arnt scraping around for a loan here. How many times have players moved on deadline day in just hours? From the time a bid is put in to putting pen to paper can be done in a day or less than, especially if its a player such as Wood who is down the road in Burnley.. its not like we are trying to play fm here really is it? Also about a CB, yes its also a priority but cant we operate on multiple deals at once? It doesnt necessarily matter what order they come in as long as they come in as we need them. 

Dont worry im going to wash my pissy sheets shortly but I cant help but think it does seem slack that we are going to go into this game with no striker on the pitch. 

Edited by 247
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, 247 said:

But does it really take that much time given our circumstances? It was reported by Hope on twitter that Wilson would be out for 4-6 weeks on the 29th of December, thats more than enough time to get something worthwhile done given our financial situation means we arnt scraping around for a loan here. How many times have players moved on deadline day in just hours? From the time a bid is put it to putting pen to paper can be done in a day or less than, especially if its a player such as Wood who is down the road in Burnley.. its not like we are trying to play fm here really is it? 

Dont worry im going to wash my pissy sheets shortly but I cant help but think it does seem slack that we are going to go into this game with no striker on the pitch. 

You know we can't force people to play for us yes?

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, thebrokendoll said:

every time I see his name mentioned I think of this bloke. he's a british biker. at the very least I'd expect @Kid Dynamite to know just what the fuck it is I'm on about!

:lol:

file4BKBWT6V.jpg

I didn't live too far from Brough park and could hear the motorbikes on a Sunday night buts that's as far as my interest went, TBD. :lol:

But we don’t even seem to be getting to the part where the player is the one rejecting us do we? Maybe behind the scenes absolutely everyone is rejecting us and discouraging us from bidding but I just don’t see that being likely. We are a PL club, 2 points from safety, that have the richest owners in football - there will be players who would definitely come thinking they can help avoid relegation. 

I think the idea that we’d massively struggle to attract anyone is as incorrect as the one that we will get anyone we want due to money. The answer will lie in the middle and as 247 said I’d be making a ton of approaches rather than (as it seems) this slower targeting of 1-2 targets at a time. 

• Like 2

On FM22 I put out so many offers for players that I completely forget I've bought some of them. 

It's an absolute thrill when you turn up to select a team and there's a bloke there that you don't even remember signing. 

I pray Eddie Howe has this feeling at the start of February. 

• Haha 4

1 minute ago, Howay said:

But we don’t even seem to be getting to the part where the player is the one rejecting us do we? Maybe behind the scenes absolutely everyone is rejecting us and discouraging us from bidding but I just don’t see that being likely. We are a PL club, 2 points from safety, that have the richest owners in football - there will be players who would definitely come thinking they can help avoid relegation. 

I think the idea that we’d massively struggle to attract anyone is as incorrect as the one that we will get anyone we want due to money. The answer will lie in the middle and as 247 said I’d be making a ton of approaches rather than (as it seems) this slower targeting of 1-2 targets at a time. 

It’s the first transfer window where clubs are trying to do deals with megarich owners.

You do rarely see bid deals being done in January but clubs are even less likely to accept offers from a rich club desperate to sign players because of the position in the league. I am pretty sure that we would have signed players if we had just accepted stupid demands.

You can add that we are trying established first team players from clubs who normally don’t want to lose those players in the middle of the season.

I am certainly not surprised that we are seriously struggling to do quick deals.

• Like 3

2-3 weeks is a lot better than the 6-8 iirc correctly that was cited earlier. If we can get the other centre back that we are supposedly after it might be worth the wait instead spunking millions on a defender further down our list. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Isegrim said:

It’s the first transfer window where clubs are trying to do deals with megarich owners.

You do rarely see bid deals being done in January but clubs are even less likely to accept offers from a rich club desperate to sign players because of the position in the league. I am pretty sure that we would have signed players if we had just accepted stupid demands.

You can add that we are trying established first team players from clubs who normally don’t want to lose those players in the middle of the season.

I am certainly not surprised that we are seriously struggling to do quick deals.

I appreciate all of the above, I don’t want to be scathing of the owners as to be clear I blame Mike Ashley 100% for this impending relegation (if we ignore the other issue which was the PL blocking the sale for over a year). At the same time I do think they have been a bit naive in their approach, I appreciate all of the difficulties but this is why they should have brought in people that have more experience than themselves. Agreed as well that the targets they’re going for are extremely tough ones, and like I said in the past I feel they’ve been encouraged by agents hopeful the clubs would do business, but they should have been moving on other targets at the same time. Maybe they were/are I can only speak to what’s in the public but we’re hurtling towards halfway through the window and we aren’t making much progress. I never expected 5 in the door in the first week but tbh by this point I fully expected 2 in with a good lead on possibly a third in time for Watford - I really don’t see that as unrealistic. 

While I may be oversimplifying things, I also think people are over complicating signing players at times as well like the Botman deal, why did we spend 10 days on that? Surely they were getting some indication that Lille were not going to play ball unless it was insane money? There’s even a quote from an AC Milan executive where he’d said Lille absolutely won’t sell Botman in January or words to that effect which was a few days before we gave up, I took it at the time that he was meaning give Botman up on loan and maybe he was but it seems there were clear indicators they wouldn’t sell. I don’t understand what makes it so immensely complex that they couldn’t just arrange a call with the club and discuss what the demands would be if they were to sell - if the valuations are a million miles apart why linger? Again maybe we do have multiple targets we were actively pursuing alongside Botman but so far it doesn’t seem like it. 

If we have only managed 1 in 11 days and we are only now/in the last day approaching new targets that’s really not good. Maybe it’s not the case, but we really do seem to be moving very slow. The underlying issue as well is that we absolutely are desperate, so clubs will take the piss a bit this window but is there any way around that? We can keep shaking our head and walking away, looking for a new target and starting the process again but the longer the window goes the worse it’s going to get. The reality may be that we just have to go down to be honest, as I’m not going to slate them for not massively overpaying so maybe that’s just the reality here. 

Edited by Howay
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

WELCOME TO THE GANG! 

I never thought we'd win the fa cup, nor for that matter did I think it should be something we should be close to prioritising. what I'd like to have happened was to beat a lower half of the third division team at home and carry on some momentum from a good performance and against man utd as well as the signing of trippier.

I was under no illusions we'd be signing mbappe this month, but by the same token it's been apparent we needed another striker as well as wilson before his injury and I'm failing to get particularly enthused over rumours over 3 goal chris wood as a potential replacement to get us through the rest of the season and keep us in the same league for the next one.

apologies to all the optimists. I was one of you not so very long ago.

• Like 1

Yeah I should clarify im not trying to shit on the new ownership with my complaints, I appreciate they might have not got the recruitment network set up that they would like to have and that January is a shit window do business in anyway. But with the money, the new ambition, the circumstances and so on then especially after Wilson got injured I did expect us to get a worthwhile new striker in within the first half of the window. Maybe I am expecting to much here, I do get the feeling that we are cursed sometimes.. if this was fucking Leicester or West Ham or absolutely anyone else I bet they'd have secured at least a few deals already. 

Its absolutley right.

If those cunts can't get up for a game when the main gaffer is there against a lower league side then when can they get motivated?  AND If its true THEY apologised to them thats even more insane.

2 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

Its absolutley right.

If those cunts can't get up for a game when the main gaffer is there against a lower league side then when can they get motivated?  AND If its true THEY apologised to them thats even more insane.

I don't mind it. They're doing a review of the club from top to bottom and they can see that it's a shit heap. Investment required at all levels. 

What's so bad about them getting the players at a low ebb and saying "we know it's shit, but it's gonna get better"?

That's a positive message, surely? 

• Tom locked this topic