The Entirely Reasonable Potential Transfers Thread

Ayatollah Hermione

6 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

FFP will fuck us if we offer £12m then

I don't even know what you're talking about anymore. :lol:

I feel like you're just in a fever dream, on the psych ward, curtain pulled around your bed, randomly screaming stuff out about "JUST PAY THE FEE........ EXTRA 5 MILLION........ FFP........ WHERE'S FUCKING NICKSON?" 

• Haha 8

1 minute ago, Gemmill said:

I don't even know what you're talking about anymore. :lol:

I feel like you're just in a fever dream, on the psych ward, curtain pulled around your bed, randomly screaming stuff out about "JUST PAY THE FEE........ EXTRA 5 MILLION........ FFP........ WHERE'S FUCKING NICKSON?" 

"Nickson....wheres the file on left backs from the North Macedonia B league with good fifa ratings?? ....Nickson?? Where the fuck are you??".....

22 minutes ago, Diego21 said:

Plea>Zapata per me.

I'm thinking Zapata > Plea.

At the very least Zapata will suit the EPL more. He's quicker, much stronger and a better finisher. He is 2 years older mind but the physicality of the premiership is more to the 'beast's' (Zapata's nickname) liking. Zapata is also on form with 15+ goals last 3 seasons and 9 this. Plea on the other hand has struggled in Germany compared to Nice with only 6 last season and 3 so far this. 

1 hour ago, Polarboy said:

Apparently Arsenal are looking to bring in a keeper from the MLS. So perhaps the rumours about Leno going out on loan and us being interested are true. I'd definitely take Leno given how poor Dubravka has been. 

Don't think Dubravka's been that bad. He's been missing first half of the season and he's kept his errors down. According to the stats he's save us 0.8 goals this season. Replacing him in the summer might be an option cos he's getting on but unless something presents itself, there's no urgency.

Wasting one of our two loan slots on Leno would be bad imo. Leno has been average for Arsenal, is a side ways movement (worse stats than Dubravka), is 29 and I'm sure there are much better keepers out there. We should save loan slots for LB, CB, CM or RM/CF. Those are the priorities for me.

7 minutes ago, gurru991 said:

I there a difference between having the wealthiest owners & being the wealthiest club ?

Personally I don't think so. 

Yes.

Carlos Slim was the richest man in the world until 2017 (more or less). He is the Oviedo owner (a Team that have played in 3rt level of Spanish League and is currently in second Division). He can't invest all he want.

The same is with Peter Lim, owner of Valencia.

You can't give all the money you want to a team. You have to prove where the money is coming and you can't invest all you want from your pocket. 

Newcastle, because Ashley didn't invest anything and the financial situation are good, could be invest more than 200 Millions Pounds without problem in the next markets because the FFP, but the problem is the club need to prove where all the money comes (new sponsors, new agreements, etc etc etc). 

11 minutes ago, gurru991 said:

I there a difference between having the wealthiest owners & being the wealthiest club ?

Personally I don't think so. 

I think the difference is, wealthiest owners = potential, wealthiest club = actual money to spend.

And because of FFP, we can actually be outspent because we need to balance the books. Still, there's a lot of hope around the club and talking about transfers is pretty fun albeit a little frustrating. I'm looking forward to infrastructure improvements around the club e.g. training facilities

24 minutes ago, Phoenix711 said:

I'm thinking Zapata > Plea.

At the very least Zapata will suit the EPL more. He's quicker, much stronger and a better finisher. He is 2 years older mind but the physicality of the premiership is more to the 'beast's' (Zapata's nickname) liking. Zapata is also on form with 15+ goals last 3 seasons and 9 this. Plea on the other hand has struggled in Germany compared to Nice with only 6 last season and 3 so far this. 

Yes. Zapata probably is more 'done' and 'present' player. Personally, I have never like him as Top Striker (Plea isn't it), but Zapata is a man to play in the same context than Wilson, and I am not sure Zapata was be better than Wilson. If you don't give him the ball in the box.... Bad. What will happen when Wilson will be fine?

Plea is another kind of striker. Is more like 'Remy', more or less, to put a comparation. He can play in both wings and he can play with another Striker like Wilson. The year Plea and Saint Maximin played together in Nice they was unestoppable playing with Balotelli in the front. 

Edited by Diego21

16 minutes ago, Phoenix711 said:

Don't think Dubravka's been that bad. He's been missing first half of the season and he's kept his errors down. According to the stats he's save us 0.8 goals this season. Replacing him in the summer might be an option cos he's getting on but unless something presents itself, there's no urgency.

Wasting one of our two loan slots on Leno would be bad imo. Leno has been average for Arsenal, is a side ways movement (worse stats than Dubravka), is 29 and I'm sure there are much better keepers out there. We should save loan slots for LB, CB, CM or RM/CF. Those are the priorities for me.

I take your point that we have other more important areas we could strengthen with the loan slots we have, but it depends on who we can get on permanents obviously. It may be the case that we get most of what we're after on permanents, I know it sounds like wishful thinking at the minute. As for Leno specifically, personally I think he edges Dubravka in terms of quality when both are compared over their careers in the premier. At the very least Leno would add depth to that position that Darlow currently isn't. But again I take your point that we would need to have addressed other areas first. 

Sky reporting that Sevilla want to keep Carlos for their game against Celta Vigo at the weekend, and then they will negotiate his sale before the window shuts. It seems pretty odd, given that he could easily get injured in that match. 

15 minutes ago, Diego21 said:

Yes. Zapata probably is more 'done' and 'present' player. Personally, I have never like him as Top Striker (Plea isn't it), but Zapata is a man to play in the same context than Wilson, and I am not sure Zapata was be better than Wilson. If you don't give him the ball in the box.... Bad. What will happen when Wilson will be fine?

Plea is another kind of striker. Is more like 'Remy', more or less, to put a comparation. He can play in both wings and he can play with another Striker like Wilson. The year Plea and Saint Maximin played together in Nice they was unestoppable playing with Balotelli in the front. 

Fair points but I think Zapata is a better Striker than Wilson but it's hard to say if he can take his Atlanta form to Newcastle. Zapata can do what Wilson does but he is much stronger physically that he can also do the Wood role. If we're talking about a two, then I can see how Plea might fit better but I don't know how Howe will set up and his scouting/ analysing team will obviously take that into consideration.

Plea is definitely more versatile but of the two, Zapata will get goals and goals will keep us up [hopefully]. The numbers being banded about too of around 30m euros for both who have 18 months left on their current deals but I think that's too high for Plea. 

Also, if Wilson comes back how many games will be left? 12-14? There's every chance he picks up a knock and misses a few of them and we really can't afford our best players to miss any games right now.

To be honest neither is my preferred choice for another Striker but I just hope EH gets the players for his formation/ tactics because I want PIF and co to back him and not give him a Hazard and Ramsey and say here you go.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Polarboy said:

Sky reporting that Sevilla want to keep Carlos for their game against Celta Vigo at the weekend, and then they will negotiate his sale before the window shuts. It seems pretty odd, given that he could easily get injured in that match. 

It's because they only have three centre backs and Kounde (the other first choice) has a back spasm that kept him out last night so they are operating bare bones. They have three first teamers at Africa Cup of nations which doesn't help (none of those are CB).

After this weekend they also have a 2 week window free and hence makes most sense for them where they can look for a new CB if a deal looks likely.

6 minutes ago, Phoenix711 said:

It's because they only have three centre backs and Kounde (the other first choice) has a back spasm that kept him out last night so they are operating bare bones. They have three first teamers at Africa Cup of nations which doesn't help (none of those are CB).

After this weekend they also have a 2 week window free and hence makes most sense for them where they can look for a new CB if a deal looks likely.

Yeah it makes sense given Kounde is injured, AFCON, and the break, but it still seems a big risk to take for the sake of one game. I mean we're talking about tens of millions of pounds. Then again I suppose they might be comfortable waiting until the summer to sell were Carlos to pick up an injury. 

2 hours ago, PaddockLad said:

Do you, in life in general, display anxiety over things you have absolutely no control over whatsoever? :lol:

ITS NOT FOOTBALL MANAGER 

RECRUITMENT IS BEING LED BY NOVICES

ITS JANUARY 

WE'RE NEWLY MINTED 

WE'RE IN THE BOTTOM 3 

I BET YOUVE NEVER PLAYED POKER IN YOUR LIFE 

Hope this helps 

Best regards 

A. Cunt 

:D

:lol:

BT: "Hello, BT, how can we help?"

Wikki: "I'm phoning up as your prices are beyond a joke, lad round t'corner is paying almost half what I am. I want a much better deal or I'm cancelling. What do you think about that, then?"

BT: "I'm sorry you feel that way sir, I can give you a month's half price on your HD subscription, £2.49 for a month instead of £4.99?"

Wikki: "What?! I'm after something a lot better than that! Cancel my subscription. I'll go elsewhere where I'm not taken a lend of. Cancel it."

BT: "Very well sir, your service will end next week. Is there anything else?"

Wikki: "Now hang on a bit, let's not be hasty now".......

Twenty minutes later.......

BT: "So your new 24 month full package will include no bonuses, no price reductions and we'd like you to pay back the 40% off from your first three months of your original 24 month contract from 2007."

Wikki: "Thanks a lot for your help, love, that'll be no problem."

BT: "Will you fill a survey in after this call saying I was brilliant and you were a pudding who buckled under the pressure?"

Wikki: "Of course, absolutely no problem, thanks again for everything." 

• Haha 7

1 hour ago, Gemmill said:

I don't really know how much this bloke knows but what he's saying does make sense. Thread. 

I agree with some but not all of it. If you consider what is happening with NEOM, which is essentially going to be a brand new $500bn city (granted a lot of this will be funded by external debt), the investment in Newcastle is an absolute pittance, so I have no doubt it is a vanity project or sports washing even. To have the chairman of PIF so visible in what is a miniscule investment for them shows this. In addition, all billionaire owners have other investments, that’s how they became billionaires. It just so happens that our owners are absolutely filthy rich compared to paupers like Abramovich and Kroenke.

I’ve worked with the Saudis a lot in my job and they see themselves as being very much superior to the likes of UAE and Qatar so will not be content to have a vastly inferior football club to Man City and PSG. I don’t see any other way of them running it other than spending to compete with these clubs.

I also don’t think they’ll be held back as much as people think by FFP and related parties’ sponsorship. You just have to look at how the governing bodies shit themselves, whenever Man City unleash their lawyers, to see that.

I think this is why I’m one of the few still in the dry sheet brigade. I think we’ll bring a few players in before the end of January and I also think there is a more than 50% chance of us going down. That doesn’t worry me too much as we’ll have a belting time in The Championship and build from there.  We’ve signed an established England international and are being linked with centre halves from one of the top teams in Spain and forwards from top teams in Italy. When they first took over, Man City’s owners were signing the likes of Bridge, Bellamy, Given, de Jong, Barry, Lescott etc, the sort of players to start building a solid team around before upgrading with the likes of Toure, Silva, Agueri etc, who then brought them trophies.

Anyway, I’m even boring myself now but for all the shite we’ve had to put up with over the years, let’s just enjoy it and not get too worked up if things don’t happen in the immediate near term.

• Like 7

Aye, next week will see players come in and they'll represent some improvement because, let's be honest, the current lot are absolute dog shit and it's not hard to be an improvement on that lot. It's mental to think that a point against Leeds will actually keep us afloat but it's probably right since I reckon it's fairly likely that Norwich and Watford will play out a draw because it's in both of their best interests. 

7 minutes ago, Billy Whitehurst said:

I’ve worked with the Saudis a lot in my job and they see themselves as being very much superior to the likes of UAE and Qatar so will not be content to have a vastly inferior football club to Man City and PSG. I don’t see any other way of them running it other than spending to compete with these clubs.

Aye true that's what they think but it actually isn't. I agree they'll want to bring us to the level of Man City but whether they manage to do so remains to be seen. 

Nufc are just one of a number of initiatives MBS has laid out to improve their image and catch up to the likes of Dubai in tourism etc. Not all have worked so far, it's not a given even with PIF's massive resources.

• Like 1

Transfer News: Newcastle United agree personal terms with Duvan Zapata (thehardtackle.com)

It's very debatable how trustworthy some of these Italian publications are, but supposedly we've agreed personal terms with Zapata. We just have to agree a fee with us having reportedly offered 30 euro and Atalanta wanting 40. Zapata, Carlos, Bakker, Lingard, and a decent defensive mid and it will have been a very useful window. I seen a story about Boubacar Kamara pop up again today, so he could perhaps be the defensive mid we go for again, if indeed we get one. All very wishful thinking perhaps. 

Edited by Polarboy

Just now, Polarboy said:

Transfer News: Newcastle United agree personal terms with Duvan Zapata (thehardtackle.com)

It's very debatable how trustworthy some of these Italian publications are, but supposedly we've agreed personal terms with Zapata. We just have to agree a fee with us having reportedly offered 30 euro and Atalanta wanting 40. Zapata, Carlos, Bakker, Lingard, and a decent defensive mid and it will have been a very useful window. I seen a story about Boubacar Kamara pop up again today, so he could perhaps be the defensive mid we go for again, if indeed we get one. All very wishful thinking perhaps. 

story of the past week :lol: 

That's just how it works these days though. Get in touch with the agent, sound it out and, the sheer reality is that, we're in the Premier League and we're also minted. We're going to be offering most players in Europe's leagues a pay rise so I'm sure most will be well on board for that. And, if they've got anything about them, they'll believe that they can keep a team that's two points from safety alive with 18 games to go. I'd fucking hope anyway.

• Like 2

• Tom locked this topic