Other Games 21/22: Talk about Actual Football

Ayatollah Hermione

19 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

If your arm, leg or foot is currently viewed as offside that should be onside. The 90s guidance of daylight was spot on..The current guidance of the big toe of your right foot etc is fuckin bollocks and completely against the spirit of the rules as they were when they were established. Again, the guidance has been changed to suit the technology available nowadays. It's blatant fuckin nonsense.  

Plus the problem with the current tech is it is the VAR referee who is judging when the ball contact actually takes place, a thousandth of a second either way and their call can be wrong.

BTW I believe the VAR cameras are 100 frames/second, so the margin is even wider for mistake.

• Like 5

21 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

If your arm, leg or foot is currently viewed as offside that should be onside. The 90s guidance of daylight was spot on..The current guidance of the big toe of your right foot etc is fuckin bollocks and completely against the spirit of the rules as they were when they were established. Again, the guidance has been changed to suit the technology available nowadays. It's blatant fuckin nonsense.  

I don't disagree, I'd love for the rule to favour attackers more but do you not then just transpose the problem back a foot or so? Now the rules have to quibble over a toe or whatever, if you change it to daylight, does less than a toes worth of daylight count?

The problem with the spirit of the rules is that the teams lost that concept decades ago, they can't afford to have spirit anymore and the rules and officials are the same. It's impossible to be "sort of" offside, the way the rule is written you're either on or your off and it doesn't (and shouldnt?) matter by how much, its a yes or no without a maybe.

3 minutes ago, sammynb said:

Plus the problem with the current tech is it is the VAR referee who is judging when the ball contact actually takes place, a thousandth of a second either way and their call can be wrong.

BTW I believe the VAR cameras are 100 frames/second, so the margin is even wider for mistake.

Yeah the ref/linesman on the pitch see it in real time but the principle that the VAR goon can slow it down to 1/1000 of a second is a sick joke.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Andrew said:

I don't disagree, I'd love for the rule to favour attackers more but do you not then just transpose the problem back a foot or so? Now the rules have to quibble over a toe or whatever, if you change it to daylight, does less than a toes worth of daylight count?

The problem with the spirit of the rules is that the teams lost that concept decades ago, they can't afford to have spirit anymore and the rules and officials are the same. It's impossible to be "sort of" offside, the way the rule is written you're either on or your off and it doesn't (and shouldnt?) matter by how much, its a yes or no without a maybe.

Whole body daylight, ie a clear view between all parts of the attackers body and the last  defender? ....

33 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

Whole body daylight, ie a clear view between all parts of the attackers body and the last  defender? ....

The issue with that comes with when the shot is taken. Defender's leading foot and attackers trailing foot are slightly overlapping, therefore no daylight.

I think Gemmil is right, outside the box, the lines have to be thick and drawn from feet. Inside the box, it's any body part you can legally score from.

Level is onside so I support  the view there should be clear daylight between the attacker and last defender for it to be offside.

People will no doubt harp on that it penalises the defenders but they'll just have to adapt to deal with it. Most of us watched football pre-1992 when backpasses were permitted. I watched an old clip on YouTube the other day and saw it happen - looked fucking alien but the game adapted quite quickly.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Fish said:

The issue with that comes with when the shot is taken. Defender's leading foot and attackers trailing foot are slightly overlapping, therefore no daylight.

I think Gemmil is right, outside the box, the lines have to be thick and drawn from feet. Inside the box, it's any body part you can legally score from.

In the scenario you're painting there the attacker is onside. It's a lot more black and white and in keeping with the spirit of the rules. The attackers entire body would need to be offside,  not just his toe . Then there's no need for different zones or any other fuckin old pony...

So a millimetre of daylight between attacker and defender being offside is better than a millimetre of an attackers body being past the last defender?

I mean...it is because it provides more advantage to attacking teams, but we're still talking measuring millimetres either way which is the irritating part of all of this isn't it?

• Like 3

If you can’t definitively say there’s been an error within a short period of time. Say, 30 seconds. Then the on field decision should stand. If the officials need to spend ages looking at whether someone was just on or off by looking at which frame the ball was actually passed in then it’s too indefinite to make a decision 

Edited by Alex

5 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

FUCKIN TAKE THAT YOU FUCKIN COCKNEY CUNTS

I'm not watching it but a young'un at work was on his phone and was quite excited about Chelsea winning. I don't think he supports them. Obviously I was.......

big-lebowski-gif.gif

3 minutes ago, Howmanheyman said:

I'm not watching it but a young'un at work was on his phone and was quite excited about Chelsea winning. I don't think he supports them. Obviously I was.......

big-lebowski-gif.gif

Its been a great game but frankly fuck Chelsea, they’re all cunts :cuppa:

• Like 2