Other Games 21/22: Talk about Actual Football

Ayatollah Hermione

:lol: We’re still not mathematically safe mind. Don’t give me that “they won’t overturn the GD” malarkey after acting like they’d overturn the points tally, you talkywhacker. 

• Haha 3

5 hours ago, Gemmill said:

I'm checked out from this now. Looks like Everton will probably stay up but I can't be fucked with watching their matches desperately hoping for them to go down. 

They'll keep Lampard and he'll be fucking dog dirt, and that'll have to do by the look of it. VERY disappointing, Jeff. 

After getting everyone invested in Everton's demise this IS NOT ON!

Least you can do is keep it up till there's mathematical possibility ffs.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 7

On 06/05/2022 at 14:27, LondonBlue said:

I suspect they're amongst our new plastic fans. You'll get them too, just as soon as the trophies start rolling in. We have a long and loyal fan base. We had a full stadium when we were third tier. Again much like yourselves. Wanting him gone kinda reminds me of when Charlton fans wanted Curbishley gone all those years ago. They never had it so good until then.

I've no idea what sort of City you'll face, we usually bounce back pretty well but it was a big set back.

Four more games to go then rumour has it that Haaland will be among our ranks. Joining the argentine Julian Alvarez. Bar that we might be competing for players as we're due a rebuild too. No i'm not crazy, we just have a few players the wrong side of 30 and few near the end of their contracts. 

How many players do you guys realistically think you'll bring in? (Not sure why i say realistically as its nigh on impossible for you guys to keep your feet on the ground right now)

Honestly, it's as much about outgoings as it is players coming in. We've heard a budget of £60-80m, but my read is that that's very much 'as things stand'. If we canpull in a few commercial deal s(an area that billionaire businessman Ashley entirely neglected/poisoned) and if we can offload some fringe or unwanted players, that budget could very well increase significantly. 

I think we'll only see 3-4 first team players join replacing the likes of Shelvey and Lascelles, we'll add a few younger players to our decade-neglected youth system.

However, if we've spent £40m on a few bodies and Darwin Nunez becomes available to us at a fair market value (£60m), I'm convinced we'll spend that. Just like in the January window if we could have signed Botman for £30m we would have done that on top of our other business. 

21 minutes ago, The Fish said:

Honestly, it's as much about outgoings as it is players coming in. We've heard a budget of £60-80m, but my read is that that's very much 'as things stand'. If we canpull in a few commercial deal s(an area that billionaire businessman Ashley entirely neglected/poisoned) and if we can offload some fringe or unwanted players, that budget could very well increase significantly. 

I think we'll only see 3-4 first team players join replacing the likes of Shelvey and Lascelles, we'll add a few younger players to our decade-neglected youth system.

However, if we've spent £40m on a few bodies and Darwin Nunez becomes available to us at a fair market value (£60m), I'm convinced we'll spend that. Just like in the January window if we could have signed Botman for £30m we would have done that on top of our other business. 

Those financial constraints are the only real reason stopping you rising up the table more quickly.

We were lucky as we got to spend before FFP bit. It felt to us like FFP was brought in by the established elite (not sure thats a real thing but hey) to protect their place at the peak. I'm not sure thats fair as why shouldn't a fan of every club be able to dream about reaching the top. Actually i'd love for one of these super rich buying a none league club and creating something uniquely them.

A few years of buying well and selling / loaning out those not good enough.

No idea what your academy is like but if its true that you're going to take "lessons" from the way we did it then you'll build a state of the art academy and state of the art training complex. then get kids from near and far. they make you money to spend on stablished stars whilst giving you the odd gem.

We have high hopes that Cole Palmer will follow in Phil Fodens footsteps. And another kid Egan Riley may have to step up as a central defender right now.

Could you imagine the next Gazza or Shearer in a team of true quality.

Hmm better get back to work.

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, LondonBlue said:

Those financial constraints are the only real reason stopping you rising up the table more quickly.

We were lucky as we got to spend before FFP bit. It felt to us like FFP was brought in by the established elite (not sure thats a real thing but hey) to protect their place at the peak. I'm not sure thats fair as why shouldn't a fan of every club be able to dream about reaching the top. Actually i'd love for one of these super rich buying a none league club and creating something uniquely them.

No idea what your academy is like but if its true that you're going to take "lessons" from the way we did it then you'll build a state of the art academy and state of the art training complex. then get kids from near and far. they make you money to spend on stablished stars whilst giving you the odd gem.

We have high hopes that Cole Palmer will follow in Phil Fodens footsteps. And another kid Egan Riley may have to step up as a central defender right now.

Our academy has been the worst of the three main NE clubs for decades now. Even before Ashley came along there wasn’t a lot of consideration given to it but he made things worse, without a doubt. 

3 hours ago, LondonBlue said:

FFP was 100% brought in to protect the established clubs. Just as the proposed changes to the Premier League's O&D test, and the rules around sponsorship have been brought in to stop PIF getting Aramco, Saudia and STC to sponsor our shirts, sleeves and training ground for eye watering sums. 

Objectively these would be reasonable measures, if they were enforced retrospectively and across all national leagues. But this, in conjunction with 'seeded' teams for the CL, are thinly veiled measures to ringfence the establishment.

Like you say though, the kind of wealth that the owners have, and the objectives they have, should mean that challenging for honours is a matter of when, rather than if. Especially given the sensible approach they've taken to recruitment, appointments etc. 

• Like 1

This game is absolutely comically shite. If I were either of these teams I don’t think I’d want promotion to a better league :lol: 

• Haha 1

I don’t think their financial situation will drastically improve from promotion tbh

Theyll still be signing complete shite 

Watching some of this dross currently. Fair play to the mackems who have stood by this team, I couldn't do it week in week out. Watching it reminds me of me trying to play Fifa on easy mode after 6 cans.

Fucking hell, SW nearly fucked up again with a back pass then. Is there really only 40 teams between us? 

1 minute ago, Ayatollah Hermione said:

Wednesday are fucking atrocious. Wycombe will be a harder task but I reckon this lot will get through it. 

I tend to agree. I wouldn't underestimate the mackems innate ability to fuck things up but actually think Neil was the right choice for once. 

Can't see anything other than Sunderland going through here. Thought this might be the perfect tie for them. Wycombe at Wembley not so much. If they end up going up there's as much chance of promotion to the PL as us had of qualifying for the CL under Bruce and Ashley. :lol: