The new manager thread

Polarboy

6 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

Proper Manc... citeh, unaaited & err, Stockport  :)

Stockport is a canny decent place. Lived there for a while in the 90’s. Even used to pop along to watch County play from time to time. Sad where they are now really.

4 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

Proper Manc... citeh, unaaited & err, Stockport  :)

I always love it when these journos throw in a Stockport or a Hartlepool as the team they REALLY support, when you know fine well they probably never set foot in any of those stadiums. Most of the well known writers are just generic supporters of the big six, that's why the takeover has got them spewing out sour lemon tweets. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Christmas Tree said:

Me:

FFS lets see some Eddie pictures some interviews, him holding a scarf.

Also me:

So pleased he’s cracking on with the job in hand and not poncing around doing interviews & PR

:lol: 

I want to see a photo of him telling Shelvey to pack his bags and fuck right off.

• Haha 1

howe could be the kind of manager shelvey needs to get the best out of him - somebody who demands workrate. he was a different player under rafa. i remember shearer saying on motd he should go to the world cup. bruce was shelvey's dream boss tbh

• Like 1

Thing is with Shelvey, as much as we joke he’s supposed to be absolutely class in training.

However he’s terribly pedestrian during at best, criminally stupid at worst.

2 hours ago, safcforever said:

You’ll beat Brentford and Norwich. you’ll still be in the bottom 3 but it’ll be a much smaller gap. 

Arsenal seem to have sorted themselves out from the start of the season so don’t even fancy you for a draw there 

Nyt072Q-1.gif.9af22550dbc22591020951893440bfe5.gif

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

howe could be the kind of manager shelvey needs to get the best out of him - somebody who demands workrate. he was a different player under rafa. i remember shearer saying on motd he should go to the world cup. bruce was shelvey's dream boss tbh

Aye, I keep getting carried away and imagining all sorts of ways individual players could be better, particularly if we are set up to attack.

Just going out every game to try and defend leaves the striker(s) isolated and everyone else defending.

Hopefully making other teams worry about us will open up a bit more space in midfield for the likes of Shelvey, Willock etc to get a bit more confidence  and more thinking time before they play the ball. 

Shelvey is a weird one, I’d seen a stat somewhere that he does actually cover a decent amount of ground per game, so I think his problem more lies in his poor positioning and that he very clearly gives up on a lot of defensive plays. I think a manager like Rafa forces him into a role, and basically tells him where to stand, where to set up, what to do when he’s in each situation on the pitch, which I think is something he massively needs or else he looks fucking lost and like he’s giving up on absolutely everything like he did under Bruce. Fwiw I don’t like him, but there’s a decent PL level player in there which hopefully Howe can use until January. 

Like I’ve mentioned before our squad is hard to judge after two years of Bruce, as Gloom mentions Shelvey looked to have a resurgence at times under Rafa, Sean Longstaff looked capable, Lascelles was seriously linked to Chelsea, Man City, and an England call up. I’m not saying they’re great players, but if middling PL players are given a strict role in a system they can excel at it and look better than their level, in the same way given absolutely fuck all instruction makes that level of player look utterly fucking clueless (as they have under Bruce - which has gotten worse the longer we had the bloke). 

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

I don’t think he’ll rate Shelvey (don’t think Rafa did either tbh) but I also think he’ll be clever enough to realise that he might need him until January (at least). 

• Like 4

When Shelvey played well under Benitez  he reminded me a little bit of Paul Scholes at times. I’m not suggesting he’s anywhere near that level but he seemed to easily find pockets of space on the pitch. He was usually available when we had possession and would rarely give the ball away (despite not being scared to pass the ball forwards). Under Bruce he looked like he couldn’t give a fuck 

Edited by Alex
  • Like 3

Shelvey started in 2 of Rafa's last 27 matches. Benitez got a tune out of him for a while (remember how a sports psychologist had turned his life around) but he eventually returned to his usual half-arsed ways.

• Like 2

he can be a total liability and not the sort of player you want in the engine room during a relegation battle,  the way he strolls around the pitch, but he is at least capable of a forward pass, unlike most of our midfielders. 

1 minute ago, Kid Dynamite said:

I also find Willock's omission bizarre. He's our 2nd most expensive signing and he gets dropped 5 games into the season. 

Because when a player goes through a bad run of form it's easier for a bad manager to bench them rather than improve them.

• Meenzer changed the title to The new manager thread