The new manager thread

Polarboy

I think given the position we currently find ourselves in, being this far into a season, the state of the squad etc we have to be fairly realistic as to who we can get. I mean if rumours are to be believed Conte has turned us down out of hand because he doesn't want such a big project. My punt would be Rogers, and even for him to leave Leicester at this stage of this season to join us would take some bravery from him, regardless of the amount of money he'd have behind him. Rogers I think for a few years could get us into some sort of shape so as to be able to move onto the next level. Whether it would the end of his time would depend of course on how well he'd done and whether there was scope for further improvement under him. Rogers knows the league top to bottom and seems like a bit of a good time Charlie, so the riches of the Saudi's could well tempt him. 

The only manager whose been linked who I hate more than Rodgers is Gerard. I'll be gutted if it's either of them.

Can't think of anybody better than Rafa to see a top to bottom overhaul but sadly I think the chances of that are fairly remote

Edited by spongebob toonpants
  • Like 1

Steven Gerrard I can understand given he's basically a fledgling manager working in a league with two teams, but Rogers is an entirely different beast. He's done a very decent job of trying to get into that top four, albeit failing at the last hurdle, given the resources available to those top 4 stalwarts. And look he's not even my fifth choice if we could literally get any manager we wanted from the off, but unfortunately regardless of the money we now have, it's very unlikely that we have carte blanche in that respect, given the current state of the club. 

Edited by Polarboy

I can’t see Rafa fancying it’s after landing the Everton job where his family all live. That ship has sailed.

Get the dossier couriered to Hitzfeld asap  innit 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Rafa would be first choice for me if it’s a possibility, then Conte cos he’s a radge and it would be hilarious.

Rangnick might be a realistic shout.

Gerrard is a hard no from me, so are Potter, Lampard and Howe.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, strawb said:

Rafa would be first choice for me if it’s a possibility, then Conte cos he’s a radge and it would be hilarious.

Rangnick might be a realistic shout.

Gerrard is a hard no from me, so are Potter, Lampard and Howe.

Fucking Rafa.....really? 

Conte would be the one like. A ridiculous statement of intent. Not sure he’s going to fancy it but if money is no object then it might be worth asking the question. 

Mancini would be good but he’s probably going to fancy a go at the World Cup before he returns to club management.

German managers seem to be some of the best tacticians these days. Maybe @Isegrim can produce a scouting report of best managers to potentially poach from the Bundesliga  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, strawb said:

Aye

We have almost unlimited funds. 

Given the previous statements from The Fragrant Ms. Stavely, I’d be amazed if they aren’t throwing everything at getting Rafa to come back. 
And I’d have no problem at all if he accepted the offer.  
They’re offering him what he tried to do whilst here, but with a previously unimaginable level of backing to actually see it through. 

Regardless of who they get ( temporarily or long-term), it’s absolutely imperative that Bruce is not in charge for the Tottenham game. 
Their first match as owners should be a raucous celebration- if the Lump is in the dugout, the crowd will inevitably give him dog’s abuse ( rightly so). 
Put Jones in temporary charge until they have their man. 
He’s got enough goodwill to avoid any backlash at the game, even if we lose, and it gives them a bit more time to get who they want. 

Bruce has to go before the next game- there is nothing to be gained by keeping him on. 

• Like 6

Not sure why anyone would doubt Rafa as a short to middle term appointment. Doubt it would happen but as stubborn as he is he'd 

keep you safe in the short term and have some decent building blocks in place for the future. Especially with unlimited funds.

I'd take Rafa in a heartbeat to lay the foundations as well, but despite what monkey hands etc think of him, he's shown himself to be pretty loyal in term of when he signs a contract. I just can't see him breaking a contact and moving from a job basically in his backyard, and especially not when the season is already seven games in. 

• Like 1

Just now, Polarboy said:

I'd take Rafa in a heartbeat to lay the foundations as well, but despite what monkey hands etc think of him, he's shown himself to be pretty loyal in term of when he signs a contract. I just can't see him breaking a contact and moving from a job basically in his backyard, and especially not when the season is already seven games in. 

As much I’d love him back , I agree that he’d be unlikely to break his contract, under normal circumstances.

But, these aren’t normal circumstances. 
If they throw enough filthy lucre his way, or, more likely, convince him that this is his best chance to create a massive, unbelievable legacy, who knows? 
He’s not above making unexpected choices, otherwise we’d have never had him in the first place. 

6 minutes ago, Polarboy said:

I don’t think he’s ever broken a contract has he? There’s no doubt he was the man the consortium wanted last time around but I don’t think it’ll happen this time. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Polarboy said:

Like I said, I doubt it would happen but I'm thinking the infamous "I asked for a table and they bought me a lamp" quote and imagining what could be if he was saying "I asked for a ball-point pen and they bought me the half of best players in Europe"

• Like 1

I hated gerrard as a player. One of the most talented players of his generation yet a fucking protected pussy who acted hard.  No doubt he's done well in a micky mouse league though but at a club which no doubt has big pressures. 

Personally i think it needs someone with my experience and someone who can set a good foundation for going forward. This is a long term build from setting up the training facilites and academy.  

Conte has to be the man. If jose wasnt in a job i would have had him tbh. He has the connection with SBR he knows the league but he also took chelsea from a similar position. 

8 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

Personally i think it needs someone with my experience

We need someone who can unite the club and city, not bitch about Fat Janice filling her fucking maw with crisps and pie. 

:lol:

• Haha 9

The interesting thing about Rafa is that Everton are pretty much regarding FFP. If they could make a profit on letting him go then they might entertain the idea.

Conte is the best coach of those being mentioned but Rafa has the advantage of knowing exactly what changes need to be made immediately regarding the infrastructure and playing staff.

• Like 3

• Polarboy changed the title to Who do you want as the next manager? Howe, for now.
  • Meenzer changed the title to The new manager thread