Howe's Pressing panzers v Steeeeeevie Geeeeeee's Beige Boring Bastards

wykikitoon

I prefer to take a more scientific, objective approach. Are Villa that good? They're currently in the bottom half of the table, and have lost half their games. Is Gerrard some miracle worker? We are actually above them in the form table. All this points to a Newcastle win or draw.

However, I'm not going. Newcastle lose I'm afraid. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I'm available to watch this properly on non-hooky TV so we're not winning I'm afraid. Was at work for the Everton game and I think our record on TV where I'm at work isn't too shoddy at all, remember beating Man City when on nights. Genuinely can't remember the last time we won on legit TV where I've been watching in the house? (It'll be last season, probably.) On the one hand, shit, on the other it's due to change. Fuck it, 5-1* to the lads. :lol:

*Reckon it'll be 1-1 tbh.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Renton said:

I prefer to take a more scientific, objective approach. Are Villa that good? They're currently in the bottom half of the table, and have lost half their games. Is Gerrard some miracle worker? We are actually above them in the form table. All this points to a Newcastle win or draw.

However, I'm not going. Newcastle lose I'm afraid. 

This is where I am…quietly confident…we can see improvements in our play every game at the moment…

12 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

Do we think with potential changes to both full back, bruno will be benched? 

From what Howe said at his presser it didn’t sounds like Bruno would start tbh. Not having Trippier makes it a harder game to call imo, they’re strong in attack but a mess defensively so having Trippier would be massive for this. 

Could hardly sleep with excitement for today. A few months ago I could sleep during the match :lol: 

Its one of those weekends where virtually every result has gone our way and we have a real chance to drag ourselves away from the bottom three and towards mid table security.

Snd what do we usually do when presented with an opportunity like this :lol: 

Howay football Gods, do the right thing.

• Like 2

They looked very dangerous on the break v Leeds so that's a worry but then again so did Everton and after we took the lead against Leeds we did as well! :lol: 

If Tuesday's full backs don't play then that's a real blow. I'd be tempted to put Manquillo on rather than Burn as he's an actual fullback and did a good job v Leeds but can see the temptation with Burn if he's left footed? Tempting to put both in and drop on of the CBs but I can see Howe hesitating after Tuesday and wanting to keep the harmony of the 'old' players. Bruno has to start as well they did on Tuesday. 

12 hours ago, Gemmill said:

Excellent and long article in the Athletic today about the changes Howe has brought to the club. 

After reading that, Howe is the man to get the best out of ASM I'm convinced of it. Great read. 

If Trippier is fit then Manquillo for me on the left. After the presser, Howe is right that he doesn't suddenly abandon players who have raised their game since he arrived. Jonjo being another one that keeps his place but if he does anything daft again then get him off. 

I'd actually like to see Murphy involved from the start today as well, has looked lively in his cameo's the last few games. 

Just now, Chaser said:

If Trippier is fit then Manquillo for me on the left. After the presser, Howe is right that he doesn't suddenly abandon players who have raised their game since he arrived. Jonjo being another one that keeps his place but if he does anything daft again then get him off. 

I'd actually like to see Murphy involved from the start today as well, has looked lively in his cameo's the last few games. 

For who?

At A Glance

St James’ Park beckons for Aston Villa on Sunday as Steven Gerrard’s side face Newcastle United in the Premier League.

The Magpies escaped the relegation zone with a 3-1 victory on home turf against Everton in midweek, but they could find themselves back in the bottom three if results elsewhere go against them ahead of kick-off on Tyneside.

Eddie Howe’s team have put together back-to-back top-flight wins for the first time this season, including a 1-0 success away at Leeds before the winter break.

Leeds and Villa played out a thrilling 3-3 draw at Villa Park on Wednesday night, with the hosts letting a 3-1 lead slip.

Villa’s attacking play was a major positive on the night as Philippe Coutinho scored one and assisted two for Jacob Ramsey, who has netted four times in his last six Premier League games.

Eight points separate the two sides ahead of the match as Villa go in search of a fifth top-flight victory this term.

Standout Stats

Newcastle are unbeaten in their last 12 Premier League home games against Aston Villa (W6 D6) since a 3-0 loss in April 2005. Each of the last three in the competition between the sides at St James’ Park has finished 1-1.

Aston Villa are looking to do the double over Newcastle for just the second time in the Premier League, previously doing so in the 2004-05 campaign under David O’Leary.

Aston Villa are unbeaten in their last seven Premier League games against Newcastle (W3 D4), having lost five of their seven against them before this (D2).

Newcastle have won their last two Premier League games, having won just one of their first 20 this season. The Magpies are looking to secure three consecutive league victories for the first time since November 2018.

None of Aston Villa’s last 15 Premier League away games has finished level (W6 L9), with the Villans alternating between victory (3) and defeat (2) in their last five. Their last draw on the road, however, did come at Newcastle in March (1-1).

Newcastle have had at least 10 shots in each of their last four Premier League games, averaging 15 shots per game across these matches. The Magpies are also averaging 5.3 shots on target in these games, two more than their average across the season beforehand (3.2).

Two of Newcastle’s last four Premier League goals have come from a direct free-kick, with Jonjo Shelvey netting against Leeds and Kieran Trippier doing so against Everton. Just two of their previous 116 league goals had come in this fashion.

Only Liverpool have failed to score in fewer Premier League games than Aston Villa (3) this season. The Villans have only failed to score in one of their 11 games under Steven Gerrard so far (0-1 vs Liverpool).

Danny Ings and Anwar El Ghazi scored in Aston Villa’s 2-0 win against Newcastle in the reverse fixture – the last player to score home and away league goals against the Magpies for the Villans in the same season was Juan Pablo Angel in 2004-05.

Philippe Coutinho has been involved in four goals in three Premier League games since joining Aston Villa (2 goals, 2 assists), with the Brazilian averaging a goal involvement every 44 minutes so far for the Villans.

The Last Meeting

Danny Ings produced a moment of sheer quality to help Aston Villa beat Newcastle United in August.

In first half stoppage time, the striker opened the scoring at Villa Park with a spectacular overhead kick.

VAR helped award the hosts a penalty in the second half, with Anwar El Ghazi dispatching the spot kick to seal all three points.

Team News

Ezri Konsa misses out after being sent-off late on against Leeds United in midweek, while Marvelous Nakamba remains sidelined.

Betrand Traore has picked up a hamstring injury and will miss some time, but positive news comes in the form of Leon Bailey’s imminent return.

On loan Villa man Matt Targett is ineligible to play on Sunday, while Eddie Howe is also sweating on the fitness of Kieran Trippier after he picked up a knock.

Paul Dummett and Federico Fernandez are getting closer to a return for the Magpies, who will be without Isaac Hayden, Matt Ritchie, Callum Wilson and Jamal Lewis.

The Boss

“They’ve come through a transfer window and made some real good additions to what they already had. They’ve got some dangerous players, Eddie’s got a good style and we go there giving them the utmost respect. Every team and every challenge in the Premier League is tough, difficult and dangerous in different ways, so we have to respect that and prepare in the best possible way.”

avfc.co.uk

17 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

Fraser, presumably?

Howe would be absolutely mental to make that swap unless he is forced to.

Fraser has literally just played his best game for us, and scored his first goal, drew the foul for Trippiers goal as well.

"off to the bench you go lad, Jacobs coming in"