Transfers, 2023-24 season

trophyshy

I'd honestly love for us to sign Werner, that season before he joined Chelsea, when all the games were behind closed doors I ended up watching quite a lot of RBL games as they happened to be on at times I could watch them.

In that team, which knew how to use him, he was an absolute star. Pacey, sniffed out plenty of goals but his link up play was also top class, he absolutely made that team tick. 

I reckon a capable manager (not lampard ffs) that has a plan for him and likes and trusts him (not tuchel) would get a great deal more out of him than we've seen at chelsea.

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, Andrew said:

I'd honestly love for us to sign Werner, that season before he joined Chelsea, when all the games were behind closed doors I ended up watching quite a lot of RBL games as they happened to be on at times I could watch them.

In that team, which knew how to use him, he was an absolute star. Pacey, sniffed out plenty of goals but his link up play was also top class, he absolutely made that team tick. 

I reckon a capable manager (not lampard ffs) that has a plan for him and likes and trusts him (not tuchel) would get a great deal more out of him than we've seen at chelsea.

It’d probably have to be a loan with Chelsea paying half his wages if those figures trooper posted are to be believed. You’re not going to tear up your wage structure for a bloke who scored 10 goals in two seasons. 

7 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

It’d probably have to be a loan with Chelsea paying half his wages if those figures trooper posted are to be believed. You’re not going to tear up your wage structure for a bloke who scored 10 goals in two seasons. 

Aye probably, I don't really give a shit about the finances of it tbh, its not my money.

I just like him as a player and think he's had a rough time since coming here but there is a properly good player in there in the right situation and I reckon we can give him that.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Andrew said:

Aye probably, I don't really give a shit about the finances of it tbh, its not my money.

I just like him as a player and think he's had a rough time since coming here but there is a properly good player in there in the right situation and I reckon we can give him that.

I agree, but I suppose it's more about the potential impact those wages could have on squad harmony, what it would mean for greedy player agents for any other signings and finally where the funds would be diverted from. It's 'only' 6 odd million additional a season over 150K a week otherwise.

2 hours ago, Andrew said:

I think he’s quality if used right, Chelsea’s play style doesn’t suit him I honestly think if he had ended up at Liverpool, as he was often rumoured to, he’d be miles better than he is doing now. Chelsea are a bit of a funny side, they’ve had a rough time getting a striker to work in their team in recent years. 

There’s surely some way round the wage thing, maybe talk Chelsea down on price and pay him the extra in lump for a reduced wage if it’s really going to upset members of the team. 

From Chicken Nonce

Newcastle are keeping a close eye on Timo Werner’s situation at Chelsea, in the hope the Germany international is allowed to leave on loan and the London club continue to pay the lion’s share of his wages, but nothing has progressed beyond a watching brief.

The north-east club are not interested in another German, Julian Draxler, despite claims in France that they were looking to sign him from Paris Saint-Germain.

It is also thought their interest in Chelsea young striker Armando Broja has cooled after they were informed the 20-year-old would only move clubs if he was guaranteed to be first-choice centre forward. Newcastle would use him as back up to Callum Wilson.

Instead, Newcastle's hierarchy continue to await a decision from Leeds United on Jack Harrison’s availability and price, as well as other deals that have stalled.

Newcastle are still waiting on a decision from Leeds on Jack Harrison 

It is a frustrating spell for Newcastle’s recruitment team with the start of the season fast approaching and little progress being made on targets for several weeks.

That, though, has focused the attention of the management team to the players they already have and none have impressed more than Anderson.

I don't claim to know much about Werner but when you look at his stats in the Bundesliga there's obviously a very good goalscorer in there somewhere. The player himself may not fancy giving the PL another go though and might prefer a move back to Germany.

• Like 1

When I have seen parts of him play, he certainly can play.  Like Andrew said he's just not fit in at Chelsea.  If he is on the reported cash, surly it's a non starter for us.  I cannot see Chelsea paying a large whack of his wage too.  Maybe to someone else, but us?

I live close to Stamford Bridge so, for one reason or another, tend to get quite a few Chelsea tickets (they’re a really fucking horrible bunch).

Probably been 12/15 times over the last 2 seasons and I’ve yet to see Werner have a good game. 

As people have said, he had good stats in Germany, so it might just be Tuchel’s system, but he finishes like Jacob Murphy and has a poorer grasp of the offside rule than Papiss Cisse.

• Haha 6

The other thing he’ll want is guaranteed first team football with the World Cup coming up. Can we promise he would start ahead of Wilson? Not for me like. And that’s before you work out how you get around his £270k a week. 

5 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

With the WC are we going to get someone better than Wilson at a price that we want to pay?

Different to Wilson and on the trajectory to be better is what I'm expecting.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

With the WC are we going to get someone better than Wilson at a price that we want to pay?

I think they want an up and coming forward in the ekitike mould to compete with Wilson rather than a Billy big bollocks on massive wedge who will expect to start every game. I can see them dropping more money on a right winger/creative midfielder  

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Billy Whitehurst said:

I live close to Stamford Bridge so, for one reason or another, tend to get quite a few Chelsea tickets (they’re a really fucking horrible bunch).

Probably been 12/15 times over the last 2 seasons and I’ve yet to see Werner have a good game. 

As people have said, he had good stats in Germany, so it might just be Tuchel’s system, but he finishes like Jacob Murphy and has a poorer grasp of the offside rule than Papiss Cisse.

He’s hit and miss. Mostly miss tbh.

He had some great spells in the past when he got on incredible scoring runs and looked world class at times.

Unfortunately he looks more often to be Ali Dia than George Weah.

I wouldn’t be surprised if we fail to sign anyone else until the window is about to close and we go a few games into the new season with the current squad. 

43 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

I wouldn’t be surprised if we fail to sign anyone else until the window is about to close and we go a few games into the new season with the current squad. 

Car Wash Party GIF by Universal Music Africa

Max Cornet. 25years old. 50 goals in 250 games for Lyon. 9 goals in a relegated team last season. £17.5mil release clause. Plays as CF or LW.

Id have him as back up to Wilson, or if we get a decent offer for ASM then replace him and chuck the leftover cash into the transfer budget 

6 minutes ago, Kid Dynamite said:

Max Cornet. 25years old. 50 goals in 250 games for Lyon. 9 goals in a relegated team last season. £17.5mil release clause. Plays as CF or LW.

Id have him as back up to Wilson, or if we get a decent offer for ASM then replace him and chuck the leftover cash into the transfer budget 

I think if we go for Cornet it will be late in the window and they'll try and get him cheaper

• Meenzer changed the title to Transfers, 2023-24 season