Transfers, 2023-24 season

trophyshy

36 minutes ago, KetteringMag said:

The complete radio silence is excruciating, seems so long since I've seen any reports of us even bidding for someone 

On the contrary, the lack of reports linking us with god knows who leading to us being gazumped and the prices raking up is welcomingly refreshing. 

I think if we’re honest, the lack of progress on new forwards is frustrating. But this is a game of poker. I’d love to see a centre forward and new winger unveiled before the forest game but i get the feeling it’s going to go to the wire - don’t rule out a couple of statement signings in the final few days of the window though. 

Just now, Dr Gloom said:

I think if we’re honest, the lack of progress on new forwards is frustrating. But this is a game of poker. I’d love to see a centre forward and new winger unveiled before the forest game but i get the feeling it’s going to go to the wire - don’t rule out a couple of statement signings in the final few days of the window though. 

You heard it here first. 

• Haha 4

The irony of trying to drive a hard bargain and leaving it till the last minute is you may end up paying over the odds if the selling club smells desperation and we’re desperate to get the forwards we need.

I suppose we showed last window we were prepared to walk away from deals if clubs were taking the piss but it’ll be interesting to see if this strategy pays off. Would anyone be happy gambling with Wilson staying fit until December? The fact they let Gayle go makes me think we’ll definitely get someone. Not that the cunt ever played.  

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

Would anyone be happy gambling with Wilson staying fit until December? The fact they let Gayle go makes me think we’ll definitely get someone. Not that the cunt ever played.  

As you yourself have said, we're unlikely to find out given those running affairs are clearly keen to keep their cards close to their chest however if the alternative is to 'panic buy' a striker that has not been properly scouted simply as insurance for if Wilson does get injured then yes, I'd prefer to take the gamble on his fitness. There is the obvious impact on the finances that they purchase would attract. 

We need to recruit the right players, and if they're not available we shouldn't instead be signing a player in that position to be making up the numbers. 

I still feel we'll likely sign at least 2 significant forward players this window. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Dr Gloom said:

The irony of trying to drive a hard bargain and leaving it till the last minute is you may end up paying over the odds if the selling club smells desperation and we’re desperate to get the forwards we need.

Will be interesting to see what we do if it comes to that. There is the very right stance of buying the right players without overpaying and at the same time there is the project that has been marketed to the likes of Bruno and Botman. Kinda falls flat on its face if we don't manage to get a couple of quality forwards in. Don't see that happening though especially with Ashworth at the helm. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Kid Dynamite said:

Unless Wilson or Bruno gets injured...

even if, imo. We've finally got a bit of depth . Yes it's dissapointing we haven't got a striking option - but honestly, last year's team was good enough for top 10 , if Howe was here since day 1 - this one is much improved. Everyone we've rid of  - wouldn't get a chance even if Wilson or Bruno got injured.

All my opinion, but I'm super happy with deals made last year, that we still haven't seen the benefit of (Trippier, for example) - and having watched and followed wood's international career I think he's a cracking player and hopefully just needs to settle in. Expecting instant results is a bit of a thing nowadays imo, as the Premiership is spoilt with the best of the best - I still think it takes at least a year for any "normal" player to truly gel with the team.

I've not been this excited for years , proper buzzin!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, scoobos said:

- and having watched and followed wood's international career I think he's a cracking player and hopefully just needs to settle in. 

really pleased for the new zealand national team.

having watched him play for newcastle, he can't hit a cow's arse with a banjo.

3 hours ago, thebrokendoll said:

really pleased for the new zealand national team.

having watched him play for newcastle, he can't hit a cow's arse with a banjo.

New Zealand play against Solomon Islands, New Caledonia, Tahiti, Narnia etc.

I’d even back Emmanuel Rivière to bang a few in against that shite.

1 minute ago, Billy Whitehurst said:

New Zealand play against Solomon Islands, New Caledonia, Tahiti, Narnia etc.

I’d even back Emmanuel Rivière to bang a few in against that shite.

Mr Tumnus has got some back-heel on him. 

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, scoobos said:

even if, imo. We've finally got a bit of depth . Yes it's dissapointing we haven't got a striking option - but honestly, last year's team was good enough for top 10 , if Howe was here since day 1 - this one is much improved. Everyone we've rid of  - wouldn't get a chance even if Wilson or Bruno got injured.

All my opinion, but I'm super happy with deals made last year, that we still haven't seen the benefit of (Trippier, for example) - and having watched and followed wood's international career I think he's a cracking player and hopefully just needs to settle in. Expecting instant results is a bit of a thing nowadays imo, as the Premiership is spoilt with the best of the best - I still think it takes at least a year for any "normal" player to truly gel with the team.

I've not been this excited for years , proper buzzin!

I agree with this really. We look so much better than we did a year ago just closing out last season that I'm really very relaxed about the new season start. No chance we'll be bottom half, and that's really the only aim I would think.

The 'bit of depth' isn't so though is it.

Wilson injured and we have Wood and ........ oh that's it.

It's the ASM / Fraser / Miggy / Murphy situation where we are weak as fuck.  

Defence, I am a bit more relaxed on due to the stepping yup of Krafth.  Targett goes and it's nipping time, but I think we are ok there.

I think there will be a lot of people trying to convince themselves that it's for the best and they don't want us to have the piss taken out of us by other clubs and agents if we don't sign the two attacking players that we need this summer.  Whatever they come up with wouldn't be able to hide the fact that this transfer window will have been a pretty big disapointment if we were to finish it with the same squad we have at this moment.  Yes we've signed one of the top up and comming centrebacks in Europe but our defence was excellent in the second half of last season against all but the very best attacking outfits.  It clearly wasn't the area in most need of improvement.  

That said I can't believe that those looking after these things aren't acutely aware of that fact and I'm confident that they will be working on addressing this before the window ends and that whatever funds needed will be available.  I would have hoped we would have the players in by now, but January proved that we are prepared to wait until the very end of the window to bring in the players we need.

• Like 4

Aye I’m confident that we will sign attackers. It’s hard looking at the end of last season as there was a lot of momentum/excitement from the takeover/just get to summer safe and we will be flying attitude, if we look at the lack of goals scored/assisted from our forward line even over those games it’s still fairly low. Almiron, Fraser, and Murphy struggle at this level for goal involvements, they have other aspects to their games but we really need goal involvements and “fret” up front as our CM doesn’t create/score loads outside of Bruno’s late season run. 

• Like 1

The way Miggy has been playing in preseason he deserves to start on the right and be given a chance to try and bring that form in the league, almost regardless of who we sign before the window closes. Just for practical purposes said player would need to bed in anyway. Fraser at the very least should be getting twenty minutes off ASM on the left, if it's looking like ASM is going to have a game where he's falling over and whinging more often than playing for the team. 

Chicken nonce is predicting that we'll use all of our remaining money on one player, and use a loan to fill one of the two priority positions. It seems plausible enough if we could get somebody like a Hudson Odoi, Werner, etc on loan, and then maybe go all out for Diaby or DCL. I know Diaby has said he's staying, but money talks at the end of the day. The problem is that we'll likely be very close to the end of the window to get the best loan deals, and by that time the player that we'd splash out on could have gone elsewhere, or his club would be loathe to let a big player leave that late if they don't have a suitable replacement in place. 

I'm not wetting my pants on this but I wouldn't be too surprised if we didn't get anyone else in. Sometimes we will have to walk away from priority areas, like Man City did with Kane last year, to stop us being rolled over in the future. It may be frustrating but it is still light years ahead of the Ashley days. People spent all last year laughing at the fact Man City got Grealish and not Kane but I think it was the right process. They got Harland this year for a price that they wanted to pay rather than Kane for a price that Tottenham thought that they would pay. 

Sorry but players like Bruno and Botman will be kicking up a stink if we don't sign a couple more class players.

They have been sold the project and it will have an expectaion of timelines of when things are happening. They will understand it will take a few years, Botman even said that but they won't be standing around waiting if it isn't to the timeline they've been sold.

And TBH at the moment we will be lucky to finish 8th if we cannot add to the teams goal scoring capabilities - regardless I feel the club will have told them a minimum of Europe in some form for 23/24.

• Like 1

i have no doubt we're getting a couple more in - even if it means a couple of last minute deals, or waiting and tapping the loan market. you can see they're actively chasing forwards and wingers - potentially a creative midfielder too, given the links to paqueta and tielemans 

• Like 1

• Meenzer changed the title to Transfers, 2023-24 season