Transfers, 2023-24 season

trophyshy

On 19/12/2022 at 17:29, Toonpack said:

What do you suggest we need to improve on our form of 5 straight wins ? Are there secret win bonuses we don't know about.

I know you're being flippant, but honestly, we'd need to increase the number of point we take from the 'top 6' clubs if we were to seriously mount a title challenge.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, The Fish said:

I know you're being flippant, but honestly, we'd need to increase the number of point we take from the 'top 6' clubs if we were to seriously mount a title challenge.

Apart from the robbery at Anfield, we haven't "lost ground" against any of the so called top six, (Arsenal pending) bettering the results against the rest is equally important.

Just because it's us in third and in touching distance, does not rule us out, no-one would be ruling out Chelsea, Man U or Spuds if they were where we are.

Do I think we will win it, not a chance, but I can't discount it yet. Depending on results we could be playing Arsenal for top spot in a mere 13 days, we could equally be plummeting down to 7th.

I just want 10 more points asap so I know we're staying up 🙂

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Toonpack said:

Apart from the robbery at Anfield, we haven't "lost ground" against any of the so called top six, (Arsenal pending) bettering the results against the rest is equally important.

Just because it's us in third and in touching distance, does not rule us out, no-one would be ruling out Chelsea, Man U or Spuds if they were where we are.

Do I think we will win it, not a chance, but I can't discount it yet. Depending on results we could be playing Arsenal for top spot in a mere 13 days, we could equally be plummeting down to 7th.

I just want 10 more points asap so I know we're staying up 🙂

I'm still here for the moment :smile:

It's the difference between expectation and hope for me. I expect us to finish top 10; I hope we finish in a European spot; Champions League would be magical and title would be on a Leicester City scale. 

Conversely, if we don't finish top 4 I expect the likes of CT & Gloomy to be disappointed. Absolutely we could win this league, but then so too could any other team in it. 

Edited by Craig

The team works. And what works, is not touched.

I'm not saying we have to settle for what we have, but we shouldn't waste our money. And that is something that we are doing very well at the moment.

We have a very decent XI and yet we also have 'important' players who can do well off the bench. There are Saint Maximin and Isak who have not been important yet. There's Murphy and Fraser who have been good boosters and there's Targett.

Personally, I think we have to change something in the midfield. I don't trust Longstaff at all. And Shelvey has no match rhythm. As something happens to Bruno...

What I want to say is that I don't think it makes sense to sign Maddison now, for example.

Instead, I wish we could have a go at Tielemans. He is a player whose contract expires in June, so he could get out very cheap in January. Or, if we're happy with what we've got... try to negotiate for him free for June.

I think that if we continue along this line, there will be many top players who want to join the team. As we get to February-March being in the Big Four, we will be able to propose a very good transfer market because the players will see that this is a reality and a solid project.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Diego21 said:

The team works. And what works, is not touched.

I'm not saying we have to settle for what we have, but we shouldn't waste our money. And that is something that we are doing very well at the moment.

We have a very decent XI and yet we also have 'important' players who can do well off the bench. There are Saint Maximin and Isak who have not been important yet. There's Murphy and Fraser who have been good boosters and there's Targett.

Personally, I think we have to change something in the midfield. I don't trust Longstaff at all. And Shelvey has no match rhythm. As something happens to Bruno...

What I want to say is that I don't think it makes sense to sign Maddison now, for example.

Instead, I wish we could have a go at Tielemans. He is a player whose contract expires in June, so he could get out very cheap in January. Or, if we're happy with what we've got... try to negotiate for him free for June.

I think that if we continue along this line, there will be many top players who want to join the team. As we get to February-March being in the Big Four, we will be able to propose a very good transfer market because the players will see that this is a reality and a solid project.

Absolutely. I don't believe that the owners are going to stop investing or that they expected us to be where we are both in terms of league position and overall quality. Shrewd additions to the squad now must be made with an eye on the next 3,5,10 seasons in mind. We don't have to splurge it all now. 

Tielemans would be a good addition, but I don't think he solves the defensive midfield position. Personally think we'd be better off signing an out and out DM like Edson Alvarez, but acknowledge the price could be prohibitive. 

If we end up 5th or higher, the standard of players we could attract will rise dramatically. We also won't need to spend as much on wages to convince them to join us. So, I gues what I'm trying to say is that if we sign some fringe players now, and keep our powder dry for the summer, we could end up attracting much, much better players. However if we spend our cash on Tielemans now, we'd likely need to replace him in the next season or two anyway.

• Like 2

It will be interesting to see where Depay and Thuram end up given that they're both in the final year of their contracts. Not saying we'll definitely get one of the two given the competition involved, but Thuram especially could present incredible value. We much like Arsenal need to invest in a least one quality attacking player to help push us over the line in the second half of the season. 

15 hours ago, Polarboy said:

It will be interesting to see where Depay and Thuram end up given that they're both in the final year of their contracts. Not saying we'll definitely get one of the two given the competition involved, but Thuram especially could present incredible value. We much like Arsenal need to invest in a least one quality attacking player to help push us over the line in the second half of the season. 

That’s a bold statement

• Haha 15

2 hours ago, Alex said:

That’s a bold statement

😂 Yeah I have no idea why the text was in bold. I recently added a dark mode to my browser so that might have something to do with it. No need to add bold to my comments obviously; they speak for themselves 😉👍

Edited by Polarboy
  • Haha 2

18 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

Chelsea spunking the cash again by the look of it. But that's OK I suppose with the southern biased media cunts 

Well they only spent more than they’d ever spent before in the last window. 

• Like 3

Really good player, always hard to tell if a player will translate well from the dutch league to the PL.

Also doesn't address any of their issues at all, despite their injuries right now he plays in the same position and both Jota and Diaz.

They've absolutely just signed him because they could and because it prevents Man u from having him.

• Like 5

I think Eddie has created a massive dilemma for the powers that be at NUFC.

He has us so well placed going into the transfer window that there must be a temptation to bring some of the spending forward and gamble on securing Champions league qualification this year.

I must admit though it’s getting harder to pick people you would like to see upgraded out of our normal starting 11 this window :lol: 

At a push I would have to go with Longstaff and possibly another striker and cover for Trippier.

But that’s only based on Wilson and Izaks injury woes.

Its going to be hard to see some of these lads drop down the pecking order as time goes by given what they have done over the last 12 months :( 

1 minute ago, Christmas Tree said:

I think Eddie has created a massive dilemma for the powers that be at NUFC.

He has us so well placed going into the transfer window that there must be a temptation to bring some of the spending forward and gamble on securing Champions league qualification this year.

I must admit though it’s getting harder to pick people you would like to see upgraded out of our normal starting 11 this window :lol: 

At a push I would have to go with Longstaff and possibly another striker and cover for Trippier.

But that’s only based on Wilson and Izaks injury woes.

Its going to be hard to see some of these lads drop down the pecking order as time goes by given what they have done over the last 12 months :( 

The plus side is though that those who’ve done well will get more opportunities as we compete on more fronts. The change in the subs rules has made it more of a squad game than ever too. That bench wasn’t great yesterday either. 

• Like 2

• Meenzer changed the title to Transfers, 2023-24 season