Transfers, 2023-24 season

trophyshy

Seems odd to suggest another striker given weve signed 2 in 2 windows. Wilson is just not fit enough, we've still got Isak out meaning our only recognised striker is Wood. 

Not sure what's going on with Shelvey given another injury and this auto contract extension stipulation but would like to see us bring another deep lying midfielder in to give us more options. Right back cover thereafter to help Trippier get through the season unscathed. 

Despite everyone being in great form, they are all replaceable by better players imo. Longstaff, almiron, asm, willock, burn, fab, even joelinton.

There is a point when these players become the squad players to better players, or leave.

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, strawb said:

Despite everyone being in great form, they are all replaceable by better players imo. Longstaff, almiron, asm, willock, burn, fab, even joelinton.

There is a point when these players become the squad players to better players, or leave.

:( poor miggy.

fourfourtwo currently ranking him as the 7th best right winger in the world. got saka in 2nd and salah 1st. he's arguably outperforming them both, certainly if he added a few more assists. love the lad, seems no reason to think his performances will dip, on the contrary, his confidence continues to grow.

https://www.fourfourtwo.com/features/ranked-the-best-right-wingers-in-the-world-right-now

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, strawb said:

Its still a bit like discussing the coming demise of an old dog whilst discussing a new puppy :lol: 

• Haha 1

Miggy is going to play a big part for the next few years. It’s the work he does executing the press that’s so important to how we play. His pace and engine and the fact he never seems to tire suits Howe’s system perfectly. Adding the goals is a massive bonus and makes him undroppable. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Christmas Tree said:

Its still a bit like discussing the coming demise of an old dog whilst discussing a new puppy :lol: 

It is an astonishingly cynical post from a supporter after yesterday :lol:

Its also technically correct but unlikely to happen to any significant extent over the next couple of windows. The hierarchy rightly or wrongly seem to be wanting to stick closely to FFP rules. And Eddie is big on squad harmony which we obviously have a huge amount of at the moment. We’ll see though….

• Like 2

Yeah I’m not saying it will happen soon, but it will happen. 

Also there is nothing wrong with for example, Diaby coming in, taking Almirons first choice spot and Almiron becoming the first sub or rotation option for games against weaker teams. It’s how squads and teams get better over a length of time.

• Like 2

It’s impossible to predict what will happen in January. We’ve gone into the last two windows with the club briefing that we’re not going to do much and have ended up pleasantly surprised.

This window is different though as we’re entering it from a position of strength and don’t need to bring anyone in. I think we’ll get a couple of inexpensive signings to strengthen the squad and maybe a first team player if one of our top targets become available but that’s unlikely imo.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, strawb said:

Completely agree. I remember arguing with some people on here that Bruno should start and being told the balance of a Shelvey, Joelinton, Willock midfield was too important to disturb, the same could be said about the Schar and Burn pairing before we bought Botman. 

As you say it’s also about bringing up the mix/level, a player like Almiron who has done really well still remains an important member of the squad but then a Fraser or a Murphy has to go.

If we went out and bought Maddison to come and replace Willock, who then drops to the bench, and then Sangare/Alvarez to replace Longstaff we’d have a CL level midfield playing in the Howe system that has seen players massively playing above their level. 

This is the first window where we finally have leverage imo, we’ve been going into windows scrapping with teams to force prices down with the threat of relegation looming or glaring weaknesses, now we have a team firing on all cylinders we can push for fairer prices and have the comfort of knowing we can wait people out (for example Maddison and Thuram contracts ending). 

3 hours ago, Christmas Tree said:

Its going to be hard to see some of these lads drop down the pecking order as time goes by given what they have done over the last 12 months :( 

looking on your board to try and find a chat about title ambitions this year and i saw this line.  it resonated with me having gone through much of the same stuff.

it's so hard replacing loved players. but its a constant thing that has to be done. eventually you get to the point that you can't even agree who should start due to the quality of the squad. ie this player must start buuut so must that one.

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, ewerk said:

But January generally isn’t the time to buy unless you really need to or you find a club that needs to sell. CL qualification this season would see us accelerate our plans.

we bought Julian Alvarez last January for 15m but left him in Argentina until the summer, so it can be done.

Players like Álvarez are the exception. Regardless of the loan back option I’ve no idea how you got him so cheap.

Edit: Obviously we can add the likes of Trippier and Bruno to the list of exceptions so there are deals to be done but our recruitment is going to be much more targeted now than in previous windows.

Edited by ewerk

16 minutes ago, LondonBlue said:

looking on your board to try and find a chat about title ambitions this year and i saw this line.  it resonated with me having gone through much of the same stuff.

it's so hard replacing loved players. but its a constant thing that has to be done. eventually you get to the point that you can't even agree who should start due to the quality of the squad. ie this player must start buuut so must that one.

You should've seen his post about Mike Ashley finally getting the hang of this football lark. It was a snorter. :good:

• Haha 3

On 19/12/2022 at 16:06, Dr Gloom said:

we're 100% in the tile race until we're not. we're third - enjoy it while it lasts. 

i came on here looking to see if you guys think that you're in the title race.

it's not long since Leicester weren't in the title race.

Have you seen our (Man City) run of games the next 2 months?

Also Arsenals catalyst, Gabriel Jesus, has a serious knee injury so who knows.

i was also trying to see who you're linked with.

We're mainly linked with Jude Bellingham in (feels like us, liverpool or real madrid), Bernado Silva out (if Barca find the cash) and Gundogan out (contract up/will he renew).

8 minutes ago, LondonBlue said:

i came on here looking to see if you guys think that you're in the title race.

it's not long since Leicester weren't in the title race.

Have you seen our (Man City) run of games the next 2 months?

Also Arsenals catalyst, Gabriel Jesus, has a serious knee injury so who knows.

i was also trying to see who you're linked with.

We're mainly linked with Jude Bellingham in (feels like us, liverpool or real madrid), Bernado Silva out (if Barca find the cash) and Gundogan out (contract up/will he renew).

Since Ashworth come in there’s been a complete shut down in terms of transfer target leaks, so in terms of that it’s a bit thin on the ground. We bid for Maddison in the summer so the focus has been on whether that interest continues and results in another bid, we’ve also had supposed interest in wingers like Moussa Diaby, and Marcus Thuram, as well as DM’s like Alvarez, and I know we scouted Enzo Fernandez but the latter is highly unlikely given the World Cup. 

24 minutes ago, ewerk said:

Players like Álvarez are the exception. Regardless of the loan back option I’ve no idea how you got him so cheap.

Edit: Obviously we can add the likes of Trippier and Bruno to the list of exceptions so there are deals to be done but our recruitment is going to be much more targeted now than in previous windows.

I think it’ll definitely be more targeted and focus on top level talent, such as bringing in Maddison. I wouldn’t be massively shocked to see us end with a spend just shy of £100m again though, if we went and signed Maddison, Thuram, and Sangare I could see it being in that range (given the contract situation of Thuram). 

I can’t see us having much chance of signing Maddison in January. He’s too important to Leicester to let him go. The only way they sell him is if he kicks up a fuss and demands to leave. Even if we make a huge offer they then have to spend that money in a difficult window with everyone knowing they have cash to burn.

The only thing that gives me any hope is this return of his ‘knee injury’ that kept him out prior to the WC but has suddenly come back despite him being fit to be on the bench for England’s last three games.

Edited by ewerk
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, ewerk said:

Argentina is a market so absolutely devalued and corrupt and in need of money, that its stars or young players leave for a laughing price (especially if we compare it with Brazil and Endrick, Viniciuys, Rodrygo, Reinier, Gabigol, etc).

The most expensive sale in its history was Lautaro (€25M) and previously, Aguero (23M)

The list... Alvarez (21M), Bentancur (21M), Alario (19M)... Almirón himself went 7-8M to the MLS when he was a very prominent player.

I think, without a doubt, that it is a very good market to sign future promises. Some could be added to the team, but others can go on loan to other clubs and see how they progress.

If they go wrong, the transfer price hasn't been too bad, so there's no problem, but if it goes well you can have a new Enzo Fernández, MaCallister or Julián Álvarez.

There are really interesting players like Nico de la Cruz, Alan Valera, Facundo Bounanotte, Facundo Farias (my favourite, but he has a serious knee injury), Perrone, Ezequiel Barco or Valentín Gómez.

Hardly any of these will cost you more than €10-12M.

• Like 5

• Meenzer changed the title to Transfers, 2023-24 season