Transfers, 2023-24 season

trophyshy

Just apropos of nothing, atm our signings seem to come out of the blue and the players we are supposed to be in for invariably go somewhere else.

I had never heard of Tonali and didnt see anything to link us with him until his agent confirmed he was about to sign.

Which makes me think

1. All the ITKs/media wittering on about our supposed targets/enquiries/offers are just speculating and dont really have a clue

2. A transfer is going to be pretty much done and dusted before we hear a whisper about it

3.  The more we're heavily linked with a player in the media (Maddison, Szoboszlai etc) the less likely it is we're actually in for them

The club seems very tight on security of info these days, not only targets and negotations but also transfer budget, wages etc.

This leads me to conclude that any intel thats in the wind about "preparing a bid" is crapola, probably put about by the player's agent to put pressure on another club's negotations.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Billy Whitehurst said:

I live near Stamford Bridge and get tickets for a lot of Chelsea matches, the boy is a bit of a liability and the Chelsea fans will be delighted if he leaves. I can’t remember a game in which he has played where he has not had a howler. This was under both Tuchel and Potter over the past couple of seasons when he first started to get a game for them. Maybe watch him play a few matches before you start dismissing others opinions as ‘absurd’ and ‘nonsense’ otherwise you come across as a bit of a prat. I can’t remember ever seeing him play in midfield although, given he’d struggle to trap a bag of cement, I imagine it would be a bit like Mike Williamson playing there.

😂 I was well within my rights to call your opinion absurd when you're saying Lascelles is better cover than Chalobah potentially would be. What is Lascelles if not a total liability at this stage of his career. He's probably just about good enough to start for a promoted team, if even that. Lascelles' biggest contribution last season was to get a yellow card as sub on the side of the pitch, for stopping the opposition taking a quick throw in. And I've seen more than enough of Chalobah to form an opinion on him. And if you can't remember a match where he didn't have a howler maybe watch his debut against Palace where he got man of the match, or his man of the match performance against Juve in the Champions League. His stats if you want to compare them to Lascelles over their career's so far, has Chalobah on an average rating of 6.75 and Lascelles on 6.85. Chalobah still has the prime of his career as a centre back ahead of him, mistakes tend to be cut out when they reach around 27, so if he keeps developing he will easily put up numbers that overtake the peak of Lascelles' career. And lets not forget the abomination that was Chelsea's last season. His numbers will have taken a major hit in a year where Chelsea barely played as a team. 

Edited by Polarboy
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Kitman said:

Just apropos of nothing, atm our signings seem to come out of the blue and the players we are supposed to be in for invariably go somewhere else.

I had never heard of Tonali and didnt see anything to link us with him until his agent confirmed he was about to sign.

Which makes me think

1. All the ITKs/media wittering on about our supposed targets/enquiries/offers are just speculating and dont really have a clue

2. A transfer is going to be pretty much done and dusted before we hear a whisper about it

3.  The more we're heavily linked with a player in the media (Maddison, Szoboszlai etc) the less likely it is we're actually in for them

The club seems very tight on security of info these days, not only targets and negotations but also transfer budget, wages etc.

This leads me to conclude that any intel thats in the wind about "preparing a bid" is crapola, probably put about by the player's agent to put pressure on another club's negotations.

A lot it is shite put out by agents etc, but there was an Italian journalist, or at least he wasn't British, who mooted the Tonali move a day or two before it happened I think. I can't recall his name off the top of my head. He was pretty much the only one iirc, and everyone else assumed that Tonali would never leave, so that's why it wasn't widely circulated. I generally agree with your point though. Whether it's agents, news of who teams have been seen scouting, which is then used as guess work etc. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Polarboy said:

😂 I was well within my rights to call your opinion absurd when you're saying Lascelles is better cover than Chalobah potentially would be. What is Lascelles if not a total liability at this stage of his career. He's probably just about good enough to start for a promoted team, if even that. Lascelles' biggest contribution last season was to get a yellow card as sub on the side of the pitch, for stopping the opposition taking a quick throw in. And I've seen more than enough of Chalobah to form an opinion on him. And if you can't remember a match where he didn't have a howler maybe watch his debut against Palace where he got man of the match, or his man of the match performance against Juve in the Champions League. His stats if you want to compare them to Lascelles over their career's so far, has Chalobah on an average rating of 6.75 and Lascelles on 6.85. Chalobah still has the prime of his career as a centre back ahead of him, mistakes tend to be cut out when they reach around 27, so if he keeps developing he will easily put up numbers that overtake the peak of Lascelles' career. And lets not forget the abomination that was Chelsea's last season. His numbers will have taken a major hit in a year where Chelsea barely played as a team. 

So you did all that digging and your argument is that he averages 6.75 vs 6.85 for Lascelles (who I already said I don’t particularly rate) a lot of the time alongside one or both of Silva or Rudiger.  That’s me convinced. Sign him up and let’s all start calling him ‘Der Kaiser’.

• Haha 5

8 hours ago, Polarboy said:

You're entitled to your opinion, but you're talking nonsense. Lascelles may as well be running in treacle as compared to Chalobah for a start, he can actually pass the ball, and is even comfortable enough on the ball to play in midfield, whereas Lascelles' first instinct is to hoof it as far as possible. And if you're basing your opinion on games from last season it was basically a write off for the entire Chelsea squad. I mean even if you just took it as Chalobah having just turned 24, with plenty of room to develop and learn, it's absurd to say that Lascelles is a better option as back up. 

lascelles is much more likely to play a short sideways ball than try to launch it forwards. He lacks the composure on the ball and passing range that our other centre backs have but he is a good defender. I won’t be gutted if we do move him on but it should be for someone similar to schar but younger - a centre back who can defend, switch the play  and play long forward passes 

8 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

The most shocking thing about this is your visits to  Stamford Bridge @Billy Whitehurst 😱

:lol: 

I'd rather shit in my hands and start clapping then go along there and sit with them lot watching Chelsea if I was offered tickets for zip.

3hk6du.jpg

• Haha 2

43 minutes ago, Howmanheyman said:

:lol: 

I'd rather shit in my hands and start clapping then go along there and sit with them lot watching Chelsea if I was offered tickets for zip.

3hk6du.jpg

I’ve lived in the south of England for a long time and can assure you Chelsea fans are invariably unremitting fuckin cunts :cuppa:

Edited by PaddockLad
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, PaddockLad said:

The most shocking thing about this is your visits to  Stamford Bridge @Billy Whitehurst 😱

Hahaha, guilty as charged I’m afraid. 

In my defence, it’s only a 10 minute walk and I like going to matches, regardless of who is playing.

However, I can confirm that a) Chelsea fans are irredeemable cunts, b) Stamford Bridge has zero atmosphere (even less than The Emirates) and c) Trevoh Chalobah is gash.

• Haha 5

Harvey Barnes is another name that keeps cropping up. He’d be a decent, more affordable option. 13 goals from a poor Leicester side last season, decent goal and assist number for four seasons straight in the PL. Looks like an Eddie Howe player too in terms of work rate. Isn’t going to cost the £40-50m like some names we’ve been linked with and I presume his wages won’t

break the bank. 

• Like 1

https://twitter.com/JacobsBen/status/1676204244095860737

"Callum Hudson-Odoi wants to leave Chelsea for regular first-team football.

As revealed last week, Fulham one of the leading contenders. Milan, Nottingham Forest, West Ham and Crystal Palace have enquired. Newcastle interest only historical"

@Billy Whitehurst

2 hours ago, Billy Whitehurst said:

So you did all that digging and your argument is that he averages 6.75 vs 6.85 for Lascelles (who I already said I don’t particularly rate) a lot of the time alongside one or both of Silva or Rudiger.  That’s me convinced. Sign him up and let’s all start calling him ‘Der Kaiser’.

Bear in mind also that those ratings (I assume from whoscored) are based on specific stats, which is why quite average fullbacks can rate quite highly if they're producing at the top end of the pitch regardless of their defensive contributions. Chalobah is a squad centre back for Chelsea at 24, he's not great at anything, he's no better than Schar or Botman, I don't think he's significantly better than Burn to be honest, certainly not the tune of the kinds of sums they'd demand. Can't imagine he'd want to swap sitting on their bench for sitting on ours. 

That said I wouldn't take the opinions of a Chelsea fan on the talent of a player. They seem to exist in a purely binary state, either they're Gods or trash. As fanbases go, they've got to be among the most entitled. 

1 hour ago, Billy Whitehurst said:

Hahaha, guilty as charged I’m afraid. 

In my defence, it’s only a 10 minute walk and I like going to matches, regardless of who is playing.

However, I can confirm that a) Chelsea fans are irredeemable cunts, b) Stamford Bridge has zero atmosphere (even less than The Emirates) and c) Trevoh Chalobah is gash.

I think I'd prefer to go to Craven Cottage tbh. I realise it probably isnt a 10 minute walk away though.

• Meenzer changed the title to Transfers, 2023-24 season