Transfers, 2023-24 season

trophyshy

An awful number of players we’ve been linked with have gone to elsewhere. So we’re either really shit negotiators, we’re sticking to our guns on fees/wages or the links were probably bullshit. I’m inclined to think the latter 

14 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

An awful number of players we’ve been linked with have gone to elsewhere. So we’re either really shit negotiators, we’re sticking to our guns on fees/wages or the links were probably bullshit. I’m inclined to think the latter 

They could also be players that are on our list but are further down it. 

• Like 1

I feel we are on target for what we want as it seems to have gone this way for the last 3 windows. I think this is just how they do business. They have given me little to make them doubt how they conduct themselves. I'm not blindly just trusting them but each time I have had doubts, I have been proven to be wrong. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, GrahamTaylor5 said:

I feel we are on target for what we want as it seems to have gone this way for the last 3 windows. I think this is just how they do business. They have given me little to make them doubt how they conduct themselves. I'm not blindly just trusting them but each time I have had doubts, I have been proven to be wrong. 

Yeah me too but we need numbers don't we?  Just 2 centre forwards for a CL season and no centre half cover!

• Like 3

7 hours ago, zico martin said:

Only 2 players in is a little underwhelming though eh?

It is, though they're both exciting prospects. Can you imagine if we had finished fifth... would we have signed anyone?

6 hours ago, zico martin said:

Yeah me too but we need numbers don't we?  Just 2 centre forwards for a CL season and no centre half cover!

I agree that we need that extra striking option as a priority. At least Lascelles is a body and Burn can play as CB. Forward first - a young prospect on the verge of going to the next level with the right mentality would be my choice. For defense we need mobility, so an athletic young player.

I don't think we're finished yet on the recruitment front. The focus atm seems to be shifting unwanted players out, hopefully this frees up the funds (esp on the wages side)to bring more in.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, GrahamTaylor5 said:

I don't get how it can be that low. He is relatively young, the teams out there seem to be throwing money about and, regardless of anything we may think about his improvements under Howe, he is able to offer us more than a player costing us £23mil would offer us. 

He's worth whatever someone will pay for him vs how much Howe thinks he brings to the squad. That ended up being fairly meagre fee in todays market...

Its not really a case of us selling him and buying a 23 million pound player, thats not how FFP works, it puts way more in the spending basket because purchasing fees are counted against the length of the contract, so (over simplified) Barnes 38 million has cost us 7 million or something on this years FFP counter, and we've just made 23 million.

Our revenue will continue to grow as long as we keep performing well, and our ceiling for spending will increase as a result.

There are also some shenanigans that can be done by renewing contracts, so Bruno for example has been here 18 months, we paid something like 35 million quid for him, or 7 million a season over the length of his original 5 year deal. Some of that, say 14 million, has now been checked off, and the remaining 21 million can be stretched out even further if we give him a new deal now with an extra two years on it, so he'd then count as 4 million a season on our FFP budget rather than 7. So we'd be better off, even if we end up paying him more money to do it.

FFP is fucking bananas and it is no wonder some clubs lose track of it.

• Like 5

10 hours ago, Kid Dynamite said:

Fee for ASM confirmed at £23mil apparently. That's suspiciously low. Unless they've agreed to pay it all up front or something 

I think we did settle for a fee that is way below the normal fee not to rattle other clubs because of the involvement of PIF but to get quick and guaranteed money to be able to finance other deals.

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, OTF said:

Forward first - a young prospect on the verge of going to the next level with the right mentality   

Anderson?  

42 minutes ago, Andrew said:

He's worth whatever someone will pay for him vs how much Howe thinks he brings to the squad. That ended up being fairly meagre fee in todays market...

Its not really a case of us selling him and buying a 23 million pound player, thats not how FFP works, it puts way more in the spending basket because purchasing fees are counted against the length of the contract, so (over simplified) Barnes 38 million has cost us 7 million or something on this years FFP counter, and we've just made 23 million.

Our revenue will continue to grow as long as we keep performing well, and our ceiling for spending will increase as a result.

There are also some shenanigans that can be done by renewing contracts, so Bruno for example has been here 18 months, we paid something like 35 million quid for him, or 7 million a season over the length of his original 5 year deal. Some of that, say 14 million, has now been checked off, and the remaining 21 million can be stretched out even further if we give him a new deal now with an extra two years on it, so he'd then count as 4 million a season on our FFP budget rather than 7. So we'd be better off, even if we end up paying him more money to do it.

FFP is fucking bananas and it is no wonder some clubs lose track of it.

Thank you for that explanation,  I am still trying to get my head around FFP because, if we are going to be honest, we didn't need to know under Ashley.

This makes a bit more sense, I am not quite there yet, but I still cannot believe that another party would not have been interested in taking ASM for a higher fee. Having said that, there clearly wasn't or we would have taken it. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, zico martin said:

I think they potentially see Gordon as the third striker option after his performances there in the euro under 21 tournament 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Kid Dynamite said:

Anthony Gordon literally just won player of the tournament at the U21 Euros playing as a striker 

Who watches that shite man?  :lol:

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, trophyshy said:

Who watches that shite man?  :lol:

At a guess Id say his premier league football manager and coaches probably found it a bit interesting.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Dr Gloom said:

I think they potentially see Gordon as the third striker option after his performances there in the euro under 21 tournament 

Yeah, I did mention him earlier, still you would think having a player who is a natural striker would be preferred. I see Wilson as a 0.5-0.75 xP (expected player) which leaves us short. Gordon has scored 8 premier league goals across 80+ games and as such is not noted for his finishing. You would think that Barnes could more likely be converted into an out and out forward based off his consistent scoring throughout his career indicating he has the composure and instinct to score.

1 hour ago, Andrew said:

At a guess Id say his premier league football manager and coaches probably found it a bit interesting.

It was a joke Andrew.  

No idea if there's anything in it, but these new links to Zaniolo are interesting given his versatility. He can play as a 10, 8, 9, and out wide. Iirc one of his former managers played up his ability to play as a 9, but he's mostly played as an attacking mid. I know we've been linked to him in the past, so it could be one to look out for. I'd imagine the next players in the door will be defensive reinforcements, so it might be one for late in the window. 

Edit. Seen the Geordie Boot Boys, so take their opinion for what you will, giving their opinion saying that the Zaniolo talk likely is, and probably always has been, generated by agents. It's a shame if that's all it is because he has an interesting profile, and he could definitely benefit from Howe's coaching. 

Edited by Polarboy

I've been uneasy about this for a while and the post above reminds me, but when the fuck did 4 become 6? The Jack Russells always wore 4 in my day. I know BotMan now wears 4. Twitter psyop.

Edited by MMXXVIII

52 minutes ago, MMXXVIII said:

I've been uneasy about this for a while and the post above reminds me, but when the fuck did 4 become 6? The Jack Russells always wore 4 in my day. I know BotMan now wears 4. Twitter psyop.

Centrebacks have worn the number 4 for ages, excuse the terminology in the article below I didn't write it. 

Soccer Player Jersey Numbers: Explained | WorldSoccerShop

I always wore 10 because I floated around creating and scoring. 4 was for the aggressive cunt who could do more than get the ball back. 5 and 6 was for the tall lads at the back who'd win it in the air. When did it change? 

42 minutes ago, Holden McGroin said:

4 was mainly DM in my day.

8 Attacking midfield.

5-6 Centrebacks

7-11 wingers.

9 Striker.

10  Forward

These used to interchange around a bit depending on if someone had a favourite number.

4 Tommy Gibb 

5 Bobby Moncur

6 Ollie Burton

Sorted

• Meenzer changed the title to Transfers, 2023-24 season