Transfers, 2023-24 season

trophyshy

37 minutes ago, Isegrim said:

He should have left in a helicopter tbh

He was the little spark in the dark times. I will miss him, but the transfer does unfortunately make a lot sense.

Well said. He was definitely something to look forward to through a dark period. A serious talent but unfortunately not a great fit in our current team and the funds can be better used improving the team. Have to say I did appreciate that he tried hard to adapt his game under Howe and did become a better distributor as a result.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Holden McGroin said:

Stevie G now buying Jack Hendry to go with Jordan henderson. Michael Anotonio next. 

Is his club like a Saudi Wish version or something?

Had to google who that was.  Then saw this head line from the Scottish Sun.  Then looked at his stats.

Ace?  High standards in Scotland then yeh?

Feel like I was more of a fan of ASM than most people on this board. In terms of natural skill on the ball, and the ability to go past defenders, he’s up there with the best I’ve ever seen for Newcastle. 

Just a shame that he never really figured out the other stuff. He should be a world class winger but I suspect he’ll go down as one of those naturally gifted flair players who never quite fulfil their potential. 

I wish him the best though. It never felt like he wanted to leave. He seemed to love the town and club 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, RobElliott said:

Aye he was entertaining and got us out of a hole during bruceball but will be one of a line of mercurial French players we have had over the years

And even then he’s not in the top 3.

• Like 5

Him and Wilson probably saved from us from certain relegation for a year or 2 so I wish him all the best. I think everyone who has seen him play rate him, its just he is very inconsistent and when its not his day he does't muck in with any of the dirty of work. He also looks like a fish out of water in Howes team/press. 

I wish him all the best. I feel like he is being cornered into going to Saudi but im sure he'll be set for life.

Edited by Holden McGroin
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, ewerk said:

And even then he’s not in the top 3.

10. Moussa Sissoko

9. Charles N'Zogbia

8. Olivier Bernard

7. Allan Saint-Maximin

6. Yohan Cabaye

5. Hatem Ben Arfa

4. Demba Ba

3. David Ginola

2. Laurent Robert

1. Fabrice Pancrate

Honourable mentions: Debuchy, Gouffran, Lejeune, Sikierski

Hanging around: Henri Saivet

I want to be clear, I like ASM, I've loved watching him play in Black and White, I've loved him taking the piss on the pitch and twitter and all that. But he's just the most saleable, least integral player in the squad. 

My issue has been the fetishisation of him. He's mint, but he's not the fucking Messiah. He'll give me as much joy with his goals and step-overs on some BEin highlight show, and those will be as integral to our season as they were when he was here under Howe.

Give it 3 or 4 seasons and we might buy another player with his talent, who'll dance around opponents, and twist defenders' blood, but then also do the rest of the work too. 

• Like 5

Think the biggest issue is lack of appearances and the time it takes him to get back up to speed. That and FFP and the timing being right with a bid coming in. Last season he might’ve just been unlucky I suppose but you get the impression that hamstring injuries could be an ongoing issue. I do think he tried to adapt under Howe but it probably stifles his game. I’m not that arsed though because he really isn’t and never was all that 

• Like 3

Just now, Alex said:

Think the biggest issue is lack of appearances and the time it takes him to get back up to speed. That and FFP and the timing being right with a bid coming in. Last season he might’ve just been unlucky I suppose but you get the impression that hamstring injuries could be an ongoing issue. I do think he tried to adapt under Howe but it probably stifles his game. I’m not that arsed though because he really isn’t and never was all that 

He had some game where he was truly world class. The 3-3 game against Man City comes to mind, but there were others too where he terrorised defenders.

Mbpappe is proper screwing over PSG here. Its going to be interesting to see how this develops cos I think they'll bench him for season unless he extends his contract or leaves. But if Madrid are waiting on a free then he isn't going to go anywhere else and rot for a year.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, RobinRobin said:

You mean we aren't? 🙂 

We've got the Geordie Maradona, we don't need Mbappe. 

• Haha 1

• Meenzer changed the title to Transfers, 2023-24 season